GP Predictions Game Year 2 :) | Page 27 | Golden Skate

GP Predictions Game Year 2 :)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Hihihi, yes, really! Really, really, really! :biggrin: Extra congrats for all that suprise and a happy cheers (with tea, of course!) ;)

LRK

Record Breaker
Hihihi, yes, really! Really, really, really! :biggrin: Extra congrats for all that suprise and a happy cheers (with tea, of course!) ;)

Thanks for reminding me... Yes, I just noticed that my throat was starting to feel parched... A celebratory tea is indeed in order! :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Could anyone explain me why do I have 0 for men in GPF?
It might not decide anything anymore, but kind of pity to see

It's because the rules of the game were changed for the GP Final.

For the other Grands Prix, the rules were:

15 points for guessing right;
10 points for 1 place out;
5 points for 2 places out.

But, since there were only 6 skaters in each category for the GP Final, it was changed to:

30 points for guessing correctly;
0 points for guessing incorrectly.

Personally, I didn't like the "all-or-nothing" format used in the GP Final. Yes, it made the game more exciting. However, if just one skater did better than you expected then you lose a lot of points not just on that one skater, but on the skaters they jumped past.

It was for this reason that a lot of people scored no points in some categories, most notably the Men. So, you're not by any means the only one with a zero score, HR4! ;)

But, the important thing is that everybody playing the game is in the same boat. So, although some players gained from the change in rules, while others lost out, it is still fair.

The organisers and scorers of the GP Game have done a great job, and deserve a gold medal themselves. But, in the absence of one of those, we should give them a lot of thanks and pats on the back instead. :bow: :clap: :rock: :party2:

I'm already looking forward to playing again next year.

CaroLiza_fan

HR4

On the Ice
It's because the rules of the game were changed for the GP Final.

For the other Grands Prix, the rules were:

15 points for guessing right;
10 points for 1 place out;
5 points for 2 places out.

But, since there were only 6 skaters in each category for the GP Final, it was changed to:

30 points for guessing correctly;
0 points for guessing incorrectly.

Personally, I didn't like the "all-or-nothing" format used in the GP Final. Yes, it made the game more exciting. However, if just one skater did better than you expected then you lose a lot of points not just on that one skater, but on the skaters they jumped past.

It was for this reason that a lot of people scored no points in some categories, most notably the Men. So, you're not by any means the only one with a zero score, HR4! ;)

But, the important thing is that everybody playing the game is in the same boat. So, although some players gained from the change in rules, while others lost out, it is still fair.

The organisers and scorers of the GP Game have done a great job, and deserve a gold medal themselves. But, in the absence of one of those, we should give them a lot of thanks and pats on the back instead. :bow: :clap: :rock: :party2:

I'm already looking forward to playing again next year.

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you for clarification, I somehow missed this change of rules. No complains of course.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Okay, it's been a long Grand Prix series...especially if you were trying to predict the men! But alas, the judging is done and all the scores are in!

The Grand Prix final proved to be a game changer in the men. The winner, as noted earlier, is Becki, who correctly predicted four out of five placements. Several others got 90 including waxel, tulosai, candy clouds , colleen o'neil and sky_fly20.

The mean score was 53.4.

And now here are our men's division top scorers. Congrats! :hb: :party:

GOLD: waxel, 360 points
SILVER: Becki, 340 points (She came from behind like her favorite skater (Yuzuru) and got on the medal stand with a whopping 22-placement jump!)
BRONZE: tulosai, 335 points (Another come from behind, 10 spots!)
----
4th: Blades of Passion, 325
5th: colleen o'neil, 320
6th: koatcue, 305
7th: sequinsgalore, 300
8th: rosacotton, 295
9th: Wilhelmina, 290
10th (tie!): Candy clouds, Macassar88 and Mrs. P (that's me!) 285

It's been fun, everyone!

:jaw::rofl: Wow, shocked at my placement. In a good way, I think!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Ok so here are the Ice Dance overall placements!

GOLD: rosacotton 490
SILVER: Blades of Passion, sequinsgalore 485
BRONZE: Li'Kitsu 480
--
4th: Poice 475
5th: jchamp 455
6th: FSGMT , Gia_Sesshoumaru 450
7th: Candy clouds 440
8th: HR4, Macassar88 430
9th: guenever, koatcue, Wilhemlina, zamboni step 425
10th: Bea, CaroLiza_Fan, elif, LRK, waxel 410

Wilhelmina

On the Ice
Okay, pairs are up! (Sorry it took so long, was sick all weekend!)

Nobody did especially well in the GPF. No one guessed that S/S would win. There were lots of 0s, and no one scored higher than 60. Let's all put this behind us and agree to do better next year, right? ;)

OVERALL PAIRS RESULTS:

GOLD: Blades of Passion, 420
SILVER: tulosai, 405
BRONZE: Becki, 400
--
4th: nipman and sequinsgalore, 395
5th: merrywidow, Bea, and Poice, 390
6th: Candy clouds, FlattFan, waxel, koatcue, and Li'Kitsu, 380
7th: Wilhelmina, 375
8th: zamboni step and museksk8r, 370
9th: aero and jchamp, 360
10th: elif, 350

(Hindsight being 20/20: Neither merrywidow nor museksk8r made GPF predictions. If either of them had, and scored at least 60, they would have beaten Blades of Passion for gold.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And finally, our overall totals. After seven events and many late nights of calculating, it is now time to declare our winners.

So with further ado, the top scorers of the 2013 Grand Prix Predictions Game are:

GOLD: Blades of Passion, 1740
SILVER: zamboni step 1595
BRONZE: Li'Kitsu 1550
----
4th: sequinsgalore 1535
5th: Candy clouds 1500
6th: rosacotton 1485
7th (tie!): aero and Becki 1480
9th (tie!): FSGMT and tulosai 1475

Congrats to our top scorers! :hb: :party: :clap:

Many props to tulosai for getting the ball rolling as well as serving as our dance judge. Our other judges included myself, Li'Kitsu, Wilhelmina and pitterpatter!

Hope you enjoyed the game and please feel free to share any feedback so we can make it even more awesome next year.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I won the cruise ship grand prize, yay! I get to bring one guest. Who's coming?

pitterpatter

On the Ice
:clap: to the winners! unfortunately i was crazy busy the last few weeks and wasn't able to stick it out with predictions to the end, but this was a super fun game to play. props also to tulosai for organizing! (i think either my or your pm box still isn't working :p)

LRK

Record Breaker
Yay and wow! to Blades of Passion - who's reached the Enlightenment, when many of us barely managed the Renaissance (if you look at the points as dates... yes, I've got an odd mind... )!

Steps back and performs a deep curtsy.

On a personal note, I find it quite amusing that I reached the top ten in ice dance... which I don't even watch!

Mrs P - I'm thinking that something can be deduced about the un/predictability of the placements from how high the points were in the various disciplines. I'm just going to take it for granted that men were the most unpredictable. Was ice dance the most predictable?

nipman

On the Ice
Congrat to all the winner and many props to the scorekeepers. I had a lot of fun. I agree that men were the most unpredictable. But I think pairs were more predictable than dance. That's why I managed to get the 4th place overall without watching all the performances.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
BTW, it looks like Candy Clouds won the GPF predictions. :clap:

I think next year we should give each event its own thread for the predictions game! Would be much easier to read through and announce the top placers of each event. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
BTW, it looks like Candy Clouds won the GPF predictions. :clap:

I think next year we should give each event its own thread for the predictions game! Would be much easier to read through and announce the top placers of each event. :)

Maybe we can get a Subforum for the game next year. Moderators is that possible? :)

Bea

On the Ice
Thank you everyone for organizing this game! It was fun. :) And congratulations to the winners!
I was so surprised and happy when I saw that I was in the top ten overall after the six events. :) But then I couldn't do well enough in the GPF to stay there. It's still really great that I'm still listed in the top ten in the end for three disciplines. :biggrin:
I also agree that men were the most unpredictable.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Maybe we can get a Subforum for the game next year. Moderators is that possible? :)

Well we definitely don't need a subforum, IMO. Just do each thread separately here in the "Grand Prix general discussion" section. There were only 5 threads even created in this entire section for the grand prix series this year...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wait. Did I really?

Edit: YEAHH!! :party2:

Yes, yes you did! And with that we need to acknowledge the rest of the winners!

1.) Candy clouds, 360
2.) Blades of Passion and sky_fly20, 330
4.) Li'Kitsu, LRK, zamboni step, 96skiluvr, 300
8.) aero, beck, burntBread, FSGMT, koatcue, rosacotton, tulosai, Wilhelmina, 270.

CONGRATS!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, congratulations to everybody that did well in the GP Game!

To our overall winner, Blades of Passion: Well, I said after Skate America that you were going to be hard to catch, and you proved it to be right! Massive congratulations to you for predicting the unpredictable!!! You must be an alien, because your results were out of this world!

To our silver medallist, zamboni step: Congratulations for being the best of the humans! :laugh: And boy’s but it is good to see somebody from our wee island on the podium!!! :biggrin:

(By the way, a note to the organisers – zamboni step’s points from the GP Final haven’t been added to the total points page of the spreadsheet. I don’t know if any other players are in the same position, though.)

To our bronze medallist, Li’Kitsu: Well done for not only doing well in the Game itself, but for being one of our brilliant scorers! I have no idea how you managed to find the time to not just score the Ladies, but also to make such good predictions!

Personally, I had great fun playing the game! OK, so I may not have achieved my objectives (well, there was actually only 1 objective. And I probably would have achieved it were it not for the new rules used in the GP Final…), but the most important thing was that it was enjoyable.

So, well done to the organisers for making the game such a success!!!

Hip Hip… HOORAY!!!!!
Hip Hip… HOORAY!!!!
Hip Hip… OK, you get the drift! :laugh:

Maybe we can get a Subforum for the game next year. Moderators is that possible?

Well we definitely don't need a subforum, IMO. Just do each thread separately here in the "Grand Prix general discussion" section. There were only 5 threads even created in this entire section for the grand prix series this year...

Personally, I agree with Blades of Passion on this one. YES to separate threads for each event (as well as an overall Game discussion thread), but NO to a separate sub-forum for the Game.

I think the only other change that would be beneficial would be to not have an “all-or-nothing” format for the GP Final, as it meant that it only takes one skater to do better than expected in one competition to completely change your position in the whole Game.

I do agree, though, that the GP Final needs special treatment, as it has the “crème de la crème” of the whole GP Series competing. So, perhaps double points would be a more appropriate way of giving the GP Final added significance. Therefore, it would be:

30 points for guessing right;
20 points for 1 place out;
10 points for 2 places out.

This way, you would reward players for getting the predictions right, while at the same time not penalising players who put 1 skater out of sequence.

Apart from these 2 relatively minor things, I think the way the GP Game was run this year was perfect! :points:

Well done again to the organisers for getting it so right! :clap:

CaroLiza_fan