Grand Prix Predictions Game 2014-2015 FINAL ROUND: Grand Prix Final | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Predictions Game 2014-2015 FINAL ROUND: Grand Prix Final

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Really kicking myself. Dithered for a long time over which way round to put the Shibs and Gilles/Poirier for the final 2 places.

In the end, I put the Shibs in 5th and Gilels/Poirier in 6th.

If I had put them the other way around, I would have got a perfect score in Dance. :bang:

Do you think anybody would notice if I changed it now... ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Really kicking myself. Dithered for a long time over which way round to put the Shibs and Gilles/Poirier for the final 2 places.

If I had put them the other way around, I would have got a perfect score in Dance. :bang:

CaroLiza_fan

I already copied all predictions, so even if you will change yours, I still will score your original one ;) Besides, 6th place got I/Z, Shibs are 4th, and G/P are 5th. :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

Shibs finished in fourth. They just finished 6th in the FD.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
So, here we are with the first official results for these GPF predictions! Most of us scored, es expected, 30 or 60, but (and I have to say that I didn't expect it at all) we have ONE PERFECT SCORE:
big :clap: to inside edges who received 240 points!!
Second place, with 150 points (most of them switching Anna and Julia) for StitchMonkey, Wilheimina, Alba :agree:
Third place, with 120 points: CaroLiza_fan, demarinis5, Li'Kitsu, LRK, chamaleon
This concludes our GPF events for Ladies: thank you for playing and (as always) let me know if you find mistakes in the scores! ;)

I :bow: down to you, inside edges! I couldn't believe my eyes, there was a perfect score?? :eek:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I don't know how anyone could have a perfect score after this. That's some Back To The Future stuff going on there.

LRK

Record Breaker
So, here we are with the first official results for these GPF predictions! Most of us scored, es expected, 30 or 60, but (and I have to say that I didn't expect it at all) we have ONE PERFECT SCORE:
big :clap: to inside edges who received 240 points!!
Second place, with 150 points (most of them switching Anna and Julia) for StitchMonkey, Wilheimina, Alba :agree:
Third place, with 120 points: CaroLiza_fan, demarinis5, Li'Kitsu, LRK, chamaleon
This concludes our GPF events for Ladies: thank you for playing and (as always) let me know if you find mistakes in the scores! ;)

Wow, I got a bronze? I'd actually managed to miss that I got 4 right! Wow! See having a bad memory is not always a bad thing - what a happy surprise!

inside edge's feat is indeed remarkable! Respect!

Congratulations to the three silvers!

And yay - fellow bronzers! A toast to us! in beverage of choice. (in my case a cup of tea:))

LRK

Record Breaker
^Let's not talk about those of us who scored a perfect zero :biggrin:

Hey, perfection is perfection - don't knock it! I actually thought I'd scored 0 in pairs & men - but it turns out that I got the 4th placers for both right. Weird. I got all 4th placers right - with the exception of ice dance, thus breaking my perfect streak of 4th placers. Sigh... apparently I can't attain perfection in anything! (sulks) Everything is as haphazard with me as it ususally is. Well, the Urdu saying goes: "Like soul, like angels." Sigh... ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Shibs finished in fourth. They just finished 6th in the FD.

Drat! That's the second season in a row where I've made the elementary mistake of looking at the FS table instead of the overall table! :eek::

Oh well. At least this time I have an excuse for not being able to think straight:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd...._=1426432199_aad0b117bab46d243d919442d359cde1 :biggrin:

And yay - fellow bronzers! A toast to us! in beverage of choice. (in my case a cup of tea:))

Can I have a bucket of water? Not to drink, to thow over me! I'm still trying to cool myself down after Liza's gala! ;) :laugh:

Seriously, congratulations to everybody that managed to get onto the podium. The Russian girls genuinely could have finished in any order! So extra congratulations must go to inside edges for getting it spot on!

I think we all need a bit of whatever inside edges is drinking!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

I should have gone with my Canadians! :drama: I would have had correct podiums in pairs and a perfect prediction in ice dance! Augh, shouldn't have changed it last minute. :bang:

malif

Rinkside
Would like to ask people how did you appreciate the scoring system for the final.

May be I am biased by my own bad result (all four of my favorites came second !),
but my feeling is that there is too much gambling and less prediction at this stage.

Would not it be better (for the next time) to advance the system of winning combinations, e.g.

6 in right oprder 75
top 3 in the right order 60
top 3 in the wrong order 40
winner correct 10

or something like that ?

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Would like to ask people how did you appreciate the scoring system for the final.

May be I am biased by my own bad result (all four of my favorites came second !),
but my feeling is that there is too much gambling and less prediction at this stage.

Would not it be better to advance the system of winning combinations, e.g.

6 in right oprder 75
winner correct 10

or something like that ?

Maybe there could be a tiny difference made to the scoring system. I do like that it's different from the other GP events though- it is the Final afterall, which is different to the skaters too. Not sure what it could be .... we have almost a whole year to think of it though. And if anyone else is gonna through ideas out there, just remember nothing too complicated. The scorers already have to tally what? 90 people's votes? :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Would not it be better to advance the system of winning combinations, e.g.

6 in right oprder 75
winner correct 10

or something like that ?

I hated the "all-or-nothing" format last year, and I hated it again this year.

When the ISU Championships Game was being proposed last season, everybody agreed that something special should be done for the Olympics and Worlds. As organiser, I was adament that the "all-or-nothing" format would not be used, and instead insisted on double points.

Double points worked out very well. You not only got a bigger award for getting your predictions right, but your chances were not completely destroyed if one skater did better (or worse) than you expected, and put everybody else out of position.

On the other hand, I thought the bonus points idea used in this year's GP Final was a brilliant idea. To the extent that, if I am running the ISU Championships Game again, I will probably introduce a hybrid system for Worlds: a combination of my double points system and Mrs. P's bonus points.

Personally, I could see this hybrid system working very well for the GP Final as well.

But, that is just my thoughts.

CaroLiza_fan

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I thought the GP Final format was brilliant. Maybe others on this forum care much more about "scoring points" in this game than I do, but for me its all about having fun with making predictions. I thought it injected a bit more excitement into the game with the boom or bust mentality.

During the GP series, I felt that people tended to 'play it safe', which resulted in a lot of samey predictions. Especially with something like 90 participants, we often had a ton of people getting the same number of points just because there were so many combinations of placements that allowed a player to reach that number.

In addition, I also thought it sometimes turned people away from putting down what they REALLY thought. For myself, even if I thought a skater was going to bomb and place 5th, I sometimes ended up placing him/her higher up just to be on the safe side.

There's a certain rightness to the all or nothing format - after all, if you predict a skater to be in 3rd and someone else predicts that skater to be in 6th, but he/she ends in coming in 4th, you're both still WRONG.

Double points also misses the point of the game for me - I don't think the goal should be to give everyone the best chances of scoring more points (we can't all win), it should be to reward the most accurate predictions. So what if a skater does better or worse than you expected - that's the whole reason why we're even doing predictions, if everyone skated how we thought they would then we wouldn't have a game ;)

Thanks for a great game, Mrs. P! This was overall very well run.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm against the format of the final. Mainly because, as CaroLiza_fan stated, if one person does unexpectedly well/badly, it ends up throwing the whole prediction off. It also cheapens (in my opinion) the previous rounds, since if your final predictions are off, none of the other rounds really matter.

I'd have the same scoring format as the other rounds, but with the scores worth double the usual GP round. And a bonus for getting the right three people on the podium.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who ended up with a perfect score of zero (I think) in GPF Men's, the only discipline I really follow, I like the GPF format. For the vast prize money and enormous prestige one gets from winning this competition, why not make it more exciting, and "go for broke".

IF I thought it reflected my knowledge of skating, maybe I would be upset. That would presuppose any knowledge of skating.:laugh2:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm against the format of the final. Mainly because, as CaroLiza_fan stated, if one person does unexpectedly well/badly, it ends up throwing the whole prediction off. It also cheapens (in my opinion) the previous rounds, since if your final predictions are off, none of the other rounds really matter.

I'd have the same scoring format as the other rounds, but with the scores worth double the usual GP round. And a bonus for getting the right three people on the podium.

One thing you have to consider though is that for the other rounds (at least in singles') there were 12 participants, so getting someone 2 placements off for, say CoR, is more impressive than if you had been 2 places off for GPF, since there are only half as many competitors. So for the Final, maybe only give points for perfect or 1-place-off predictions?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
As someone who ended up with a perfect score of zero (I think) in GPF Men's, the only discipline I really follow, I like the GPF format. For the vast prize money and enormous prestige one gets from winning this competition, why not make it more exciting, and "go for broke".

IF I thought it reflected my knowledge of skating, maybe I would be upset. That would presuppose any knowledge of skating.:laugh2:

This is a masterpiece of hilarity. Thank you for the belly laugh.

After the women have been scored, I've moved up to the top 6. I feel like Jason Brown at the Olympics--I made the final flight! Woohoo! Shouldn't this qualify me for like, oh I don't know, the Recycled Aluminum Medal or something? ;)

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker

The only GPF event I didn't want to win. :slink::hopelessness:

So, what do I get for my perfect Pairs podium?
Also my podium in dance is right but not the placement. How does this work? :confused:

I think I got zero in men, since I put Machida in first, Yuzuru in third and I got only Javi in second place.

Last edited: