Great exhibition programs | Golden Skate

Great exhibition programs

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wake up Everyone! It is way too quiet on this board!
We need more exhibitions like this one.
I nominate this one to be chaperone for all our skating kids.
I have no doubt this is the person for the job.

Go Granny Danny!

streams4dreams

On the Ice
Cartman on Ice is one of those things you never knew you needed until you've seen them :) -- thanks for sharing! And agreed, it's been quite slow here recently, and there's still a week+ until the Worlds..

Other than an indubitable craving to watch a certain nanny movie, this performance also reminded me of Adam Siao Him Fa, and how my heart skipped when I first saw his free program this season.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
this performance also reminded me of Adam Siao Him Fa, and how my heart skipped when I first saw his free program this season.
It is so wonderful when a skater hits that sweet spot where technique and expression are under control free of expectations, only possibilities and is able to ride the moment. This is when it feels like endurance is the only limit. I hope he can find this freedom and joy in Montreal.

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh yes........I think my favorite exhibition program was Rag-gi-don (as my avatar suggests) But anything Kurt performed showed outstanding originality (thank you Sandra Bezic) and not only showed his incredible skating skills - best feet in the sport - but brought his personality to the ice. He never disappointed.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
I'm not sure if there's a good YouTube clip but I absolutely adored Kazuki Tomono's yanki rock exhibition last year. I think the music was Miyavi?

Also, Notte stellata obviously.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know which movie is this but if you want some noise...

I don't know the movie, but in the US George of the Jungle was a very popular children's cartoon in the 60s. I was a little too old for it, but my siblings weren't, and I can still sing the jingle, it was so catchy:

🎶George, George, George of the jungle, friend to you and me. Watch out for that tree; watch out for that....tree! 🎶(George splats into the tree)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
The first one that came to mind was Andrew Torgashev's Bloodstream. Yes, he turned it into a short program later, but this is how it was originally. I love how he's doing something meaningful on every note, including with his head and arms. The pauses are part of the artistry. And, my goodness, THE SPINS!!! And the transitions!!!

But, if you know my posts on this board at all, once my mind starts thinking about skating programs, I can immediately think of so many more, so some others I thought of soon after were:

Michelle Kwan: East of Eden (1998 Pro Am); Dante's Prayer; Fields of Gold

Jason Brown: Live Orchestra at 2024 Nationals

Gordeeva/Grinkov: Vocalise; Reverie ('94 Olympics)

Shen/Zhao: Come What May (forgive me, but Moulin Rogue was not a warhorse back in 2004).

Javi: Aerobics Class

Patrick Chan: Most of them, but if you haven't watched Esqualo lately, do. It's incredible!!!

Knowing the backstory, I am moved by Keegan Messing's at 2019 Skate America, and Underhill/Martini's Yesterday.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This appears to have gotten away from loud and bouncy, and just great ones, and I suppose we are only talking about programs that are not repurposed competition ones, yes? Or those created just for shows of which there are an increasing number.

So of course I will choose Yuzuru's iconic to the nth Notte Stellata, which was called a 'masterclass in what figure skating is about' in 2018

(...and in practice reduced an audience of seasoned athletes to dead silence in 2016). Second of his for me would be Requiem thought it's anything but a party piece, yes.

And to go entirely the other way, Kolyada's Baba Yaga makes the fairytale/fantasy side of me wildly happy.

and I love Gracie's Let It Go (on an admittedly not very good youtube video and can only link 2 videos anyway) filmed I don't know where at, because it does it for that side of me too, for different reasons.

Others I am very fond of are Julian Yee's Janitor and Javi's Aerobics (which okay is corny but it's good corny and never failed to entertain the audience) and Hawayek/Baker's Swan Lake (ditto!). Plus Kazuki's Daft Punk, Machida's Don't Stop Me Now (he's such a serious skater, it's endearing how he's playing here), Misha Ge's Mic drop, Mao's adorable Mary Poppins and Shoma's Time After Time.

Weathergal

Medalist
I don't know the movie, but in the US George of the Jungle was a very popular children's cartoon in the 60s. I was a little too old for it, but my siblings weren't, and I can still sing the jingle, it was so catchy:

🎶George, George, George of the jungle, friend to you and me. Watch out for that tree; watch out for that....tree! 🎶(George splats into the tree)
I remember that cartoon, but my fondest memory of it is singing it to my son, whose name is George.❤️ I might have decorated his nursery in a jungle theme as well. 😁 Lest anyone think I named him after a cartoon, I actually named him after my maternal grandfather, whom I adored. 💗

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I think every person who ever heard it can probably still sing it. As an earworm, it is up there with Mexican Radio an Popcorn.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The exhibition that convinced me they were an off-ice couple. Shows how wrong I can be!

Definitely not a party, but someone changed name of the thread to just great exhibition programs.