Great exhibition programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Great exhibition programs

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Nathan Chen skating to Peter and the Wolf as a 10-year old will always be special to me because it’s where I first discovered him.
NBC has not made this video available in my country so I add a link for those who are also left out. It's worth seeing :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The very principle of organizing galas is changing. It's no more just about showing the champions. There are guest stars; the organizers can invite (and they do) even 20th place finishers if they have good exhibitions. Skaters know it and the number of elaborated exhibitions is rising. There are collaborations and special treats like live music. Galas are becoming enjoyable again.
And to think some TPTB wanted to drop the one at Worlds for that award show :(

The number of interesting shows has also been rising during the years.
And the interesting shows will probably be the ones that draw the audiences. Which is good, because even if they're not attached to the actual competitions, they do push the skaters to flex their creative gifts.

And creative people can't help being creative and trying new things... like Nelly and Alexander, for example :)

(y)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Eldredge's "Il Mare Calmo de la Sera (1998 COI exhibition) & "The Glory" (2000 COI exhibition), Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, Better Days, The Waiters' Gallop (SOI)
Mike Weiss - Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy (SOI)
Torvill & Dean - Hat Trick
Viktor Petrenko- Mambo #5 ( The one with the life size doll)
Tanith & Ben - If It Kills Me (SOI)
Piper & Paul -Annie's Song/ Thank God I'm a Country Boy (SOI)

Last edited:
Viktor Petrenko- Mambo #5 ( The one with the life size doll)
:rock:

Bonus (with a different partner, :)

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Bet y'all can't name this skater. Hint: I think the clip is from the 1961 German movie "On Thin Ice." Hint #2. She does her signature move at 0.57. :)

[UR]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUbl7-6t3mc[/URL]

Edit. Never mind. The title on the site gives it away.
I love her signature move, especially as done by Mirai Nagasu and Shizuka Arakawa. But Ina is lovely too.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Alexei Yagudin from the 2002 OLYG.
Were he in his 20's today, I would pair him up with Benoît Richaud for choreo.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Bet y'all can't name this skater. Hint: I think the clip is from the 1961 German movie "On Thin Ice." Hint #2. She does her signature move at 0.57. :)

[UR]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUbl7-6t3mc[/URL]

Edit. Never mind. The title on the site gives it away.
Interestingly (at least to me) after watching the video linked by @Mathman I was offered this compilation of spread eagles and Ina Bauers when I went to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6KKohjCwyM. It has Ina Bauers by Mirai and Shizuka plus a lot of others.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen skating to Peter and the Wolf as a 10-year old will always be special to me because it’s where I first discovered him.
I have shared this with my more casual skating fan friends who were not familiar with Nathan back then. Most of them have been amazed with "little" Nathan!

Some additions to my already mentioned favorites - Paul Wylie - Carmina Burana, JFK, Apollo 13 (SOI)
Michelle Kwan - Winter, Pocahontas, Dante's Prayer (COI), East of Eden, Hands (were these exhibitions?)
Elvis Stojko - What I Like About You (COI)
Kristi Yamaguchi - It's Oh, So Quiet (SOI)
Brian Orser - The Story of My Life, Headed for the Future (1988 COI)
Midori Ito - her "Rain" exhibition from the 1992 Winter Olympics

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I saw Valtter Virtanen's name on the Worlds entry list.
They should invite him to perform "Don't stop the Grandpa" (Don't Stop Me Now by Queen) in the Gala ;)

Last edited:
I saw Valtter Virtanen's name on the Worlds entry list.
They should invite him to perform "Don't stop the Grandpa" (Don't Stop Me Now by Queen) in the Gala ;)
I looked on you tube for this skater and found -- to my astonishment a couple ofdozen vids ofhis performances. But no Galas.

But this Torvill and Dean was mixed in with them. :)