Help with Boots: Over-booting and Materials? | Golden Skate

Help with Boots: Over-booting and Materials?

skeleskates

Spectator
Hey! I'm 5'5 and 130 pounds, I'm working on getting my loop consistent and learning flip, I'm looking to get new skates and was looking at the Edea Chorus but from the photos it looks like the material changes when in black instead of ivory. Does anyone have know if the material is the same? I have Jackson Freestyle and the material is peeling and I don't want this material again. With Edea it looks like Ice Fly is a good material, and I've heard you can't overboot with Edea so is this another good option?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey! I'm 5'5 and 130 pounds, I'm working on getting my loop consistent and learning flip, I'm looking to get new skates and was looking at the Edea Chorus but from the photos it looks like the material changes when in black instead of ivory. Does anyone have know if the material is the same? I have Jackson Freestyle and the material is peeling and I don't want this material again. With Edea it looks like Ice Fly is a good material, and I've heard you can't overboot with Edea so is this another good option?
Hi and welcome. Men's edea is suede-like material, ladies is not. Now...do not even consider ice fly--you can overboot in edea, those that say otherwise is a myth/incorrect. Also, you need to go see a proper figure skate fitter and get fit. Your foot might not even work with an edea. And if you are in Jackson properly, I'm going to presume that it probably won't. There are so many factors that goes into getting the fit for the boot unique to your foot. If you let us know where you are in the world we can suggest a great trusted fitter.

Good luck!

Last edited:

skeleskates

Spectator
Hi and welcome. Men's edea is suede-like material, ladies is not. Now...do not even consider ice fly--you can overboot in edea, those that say otherwise is a myth/incorrect. Also, you need to go see a proper figure skate fitter and get fit. Your foot might not even work with an edea. And if you are in Jackson properly, I'm going to presume that it probably won't. There are so many factors that goes into getting the fit for the boot unique to your foot. If you let us know where you are in the world we can suggest a great trusted fitter.

Good luck!
I honestly don't know if I fit properly in Jacksons, they are my brothers old and I should've been in a new boot/my own ages ago. I'm not sure if my local shop is trustworthy, I'm in Oklahoma.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I see.

Sadly, the closest figure skate fitter (that's not a pro shop that's focused on hockey) to you is going to be in the Dallas area.
I'm going to say I presume this since IDK what part of the state you are in.

skeleskates

Spectator
I see.

Sadly, the closest figure skate fitter (that's not a pro shop that's focused on hockey) to you is going to be in the Dallas area.
I'm going to say I presume this since IDK what part of the state you are in.
is there a way to fit myself? thank you sm for your help btw

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
is there a way to fit myself? thank you sm for your help btw
You're welcome and no, not really. A fitter can properly measure you and trace your foot, etc. and based on shape, arches, etc can suggest what brand boot would be best and then what style for your level. Weight matters as well as you may need something stiffer than would usually be common boot suggestion for your level. Normally, for instance you would probably be okay in a jackson debut fusion, for edea overture, risport rf3 pro or royal pro. There are also Riedell, Graf boots. It really depends on your foot shape etc.

ETA: For any of the suggested boots above (whichever would work for you based on fitting), an intermediate blade will be needed to team with it: Either John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro (traditional blade version, not lite or rev).

skeleskates

Spectator
You're welcome and no, not really. A fitter can properly measure you and trace your foot, etc. and based on shape, arches, etc can suggest what brand boot would be best and then what style for your level. Weight matters as well as you may need something stiffer than would usually be common boot suggestion for your level. Normally, for instance you would probably be okay in a jackson debut fusion, for edea overture, risport rf3 pro or royal pro. There are also Riedell, Graf boots. It really depends on your foot shape etc.
Okay, I'll see if I'm able to make a trip out to Dallas soon, which fitter were you talking about that you recommend? Also: have you had any problems with suede type boots peeling around the toes or is that mainly a problem on mine because of how old they are?

Edit: About the blades is it possible to overblade just like overbooting?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay, I'll see if I'm able to make a trip out to Dallas soon, which fitter were you talking about that you recommend? Also: have you had any problems with suede type boots peeling around the toes or is that mainly a problem on mine because of how old they are?
You're welcome. I'll PM/DM you to give you info on fitter.

As far as suede boots: Yes, with time the material will dissipate. This is very common in the toe area (A pair of my current boots are suede material and they do this, but it's nothing immediate, I have them at least 6+ mos when they do this and I skate ALOT and am doing shows etc in them).

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Edit: About the blades is it possible to overblade just like overbooting?
Totally possible to overblade! As @Ic3Rabbit said, Coronation Ace or MK Professional would be the right blades. Do not be tempted by or talked into higher level, ie JW Pattern 99s or Gold Seal or MK Phantoms or Gold Star. I am currently having to watch some very stubborn adult skaters insist that various of these are right for them, when it's patently obvious that they are actually struggling to use them properly. (And I can't tell you just how frustrating that is!)

skeleskates

Spectator
Totally possible to overblade! As @Ic3Rabbit said, Coronation Ace or MK Professional would be the right blades. Do not be tempted by or talked into higher level, ie JW Pattern 99s or Gold Seal or MK Phantoms or Gold Star. I am currently having to watch some very stubborn adult skaters insist that various of these are right for them, when it's patently obvious that they are actually struggling to use them properly. (And I can't tell you just how frustrating that is!)
Thank you so much! I'm asking bc someone did try to talk me into Phantoms!