HELP with Eng/Rus figure skating vocabulary | Page 2 | Golden Skate

HELP with Eng/Rus figure skating vocabulary

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
While we're kind of on the subject, could anyone enlighten me on what Russian skating spectators chant after a great performance from one of their athletes? I've heard it most often for Medvedeva, but occasionally I've heard it chanted for Zagitova and Trusova too.

russianfan

Match Penalty
While we're kind of on the subject, could anyone enlighten me on what Russian skating spectators chant after a great performance from one of their athletes? I've heard it most often for Medvedeva, but occasionally I've heard it chanted for Zagitova and Trusova too.

can you provide any examples? otherwise it's hard to say..
i can only guess that it is most likely "молодец!", which literally translates as "fine fellow", but in this context means "well done" or "good job"

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
i can only guess that it is most likely "молодец!", which literally translates as "fine fellow", but in this context means "well done" or "good job"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHNRoTKLE4I

That's the best example I can find, even though the commentators drown it out a little bit. You can hear it most clearly around the 5:50 mark when Zhenya is hugging Eteri and Daniil after her skate. My understanding of Russian is very, very basic, so I honestly just recognize the sound of what they're saying from having heard it before.

Shandy

On the Ice
The one that I've really picked up on is 'недокрученный', or 'underrotated', I believe. Never a word I actually want to hear! :eek:

alvina9894

Final Flight

In my head screams TAT's voice

russianfan

Match Penalty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHNRoTKLE4I

That's the best example I can find, even though the commentators drown it out a little bit. You can hear it most clearly around the 5:50 mark when Zhenya is hugging Eteri and Daniil after her skate. My understanding of Russian is very, very basic, so I honestly just recognize the sound of what they're saying from having heard it before.

Yep, it's exactly what i said

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Continuing english-russian vocab:

russian term for 2A is дупель (dupel')
russian term for arabesque spiral is ласточка (lastochka - which means swallow)
russian term for Y-spiral is флажок (flazhok - which means diminutive form of flag or small flag)
russian term for spread eagle is кораблик (korablik - which means diminutive form of ship or little ship)
russian term for camel spin is либела (libela)
russian term for illusion spin is качающаяся либела (kachayuschayasia libela - meaning swaying libela) or just качалка (kachalka - diminutive form of something swaying like rocker)
russian term for layback spin is заклон (zaklon - somewhat similar in meaning to tilt)
russian term for sit spin is волчок (volchok - which means top toy/spinner)
russian term for arabian jump is бедуинский (beduinsky - which means adjective form of bedouin)
russian term for loop jump is ридбергер (ridberger - not that it's russian but they never use term "loop", so..)

Pairs elements:

russian term for death spiral is тодес (todes)
russian term for throw jump is выброс (vi'bros - meaning ejection)
russian term for twist lift is подкрутка (podkrutka - meaning twist)
russian term for any general lift is поддержка (podderzhka - meaning holding/carring something or support)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This would make for an interesting short book. It would probably sell well at ISU events :think:

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Continuing english-russian vocab:

russian term for 2A is дупель (dupel')
russian term for arabesque spiral is ласточка (lastochka - which means swallow)
russian term for Y-spiral is флажок (flazhok - which means diminutive form of flag or small flag)
russian term for spread eagle is кораблик (korablik - which means diminutive form of ship or little ship)
russian term for camel spin is либела (libela)
russian term for illusion spin is качающаяся либела (kachayuschayasia libela - meaning swaying libela) or just качалка (kachalka - diminutive form of something swaying like rocker)
russian term for layback spin is заклон (zaklon - somewhat similar in meaning to tilt)
russian term for sit spin is волчок (volchok - which means top toy/spinner)
russian term for arabian jump is бедуинский (beduinsky - which means adjective form of bedouin)
russian term for loop jump is ридбергер (ridberger - not that it's russian but they never use term "loop", so..)

Pairs elements:

russian term for death spiral is тодес (todes)
russian term for throw jump is выброс (vi'bros - meaning ejection)
russian term for twist lift is подкрутка (podkrutka - meaning twist)
russian term for any general lift is поддержка (podderzhka - meaning holding/carring something or support)

Actually it's Риттбергер for Werner Rittberger, the inventor of the Loop jump.
They also call the 1/2Loop an Euler - don't know why.

Tyranid

Final Flight
3. i suppose ultra-c stands for ultra-complex or ultra-complicated(element/elements)? something like this probably
4. Rostelecom Cup -> cup -> капа :biggrin: just a short version, everybody is just lazy to pronounce the whole thing
Ultra-c comes from athletic (artistic) gymnastics. There are four levels of element difficulty there: A,B,C and ultra-c with ultra-c being the most diffucult.

In FS those are: 3A and quads including pair throws. To post # 13, steps and spins never count as ultra-c no matter how well someone like Lipnitskaya or Ruh spin.

If anybody here plays DOTA (unlikely :laugh:), it is basically your ulti.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Interestingly the word tulup also has the meaning of a stupid person in Bulgarian. My father started calling bad drivers quadriple toeloops in anger and exasperation :D

What's an arabian jump?

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Actually it's Риттбергер for Werner Rittberger, the inventor of the Loop jump.
They also call the 1/2Loop an Euler - don't know why.

As far as I know the loop jump is known as Rittberger in most of Europe.
1/2 Loop is called "toren" [or torren?] in Bulgarian, which I am sure entered through some other language. Is this perhaps a German term?

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
I was missing such a thread half a year ago, when I was most struggling with translations!
I also missed this thread in April when I was offline for a couple of months...

I could find most of the terms in this page in Wikipedia and the ISU documents, while most of the slang was learned from English commentators and this forum. The most difficult part though was not the terminology, but epithets given to skaters. I remember spending maybe half an hour looking for a proper English translation of the word "пластика" for the first time, until I decided on the more or less close word "flow" which I use since then.

russian term for jump combination is каскад (similar to english word cascade).

Moreover, the Russian for "sequence" is "combination", which often confuses people who try translating FS (as it once did to me).

Ultra-c comes from athletic (artistic) gymnastics. There are four levels of element difficulty there: A,B,C and ultra-c with ultra-c being the most diffucult.

Also, due to similarity in pronunciation, "ultra-c" became a FS fans' euphemism for a big breast. :biggrin:

IceBallerina

On the Ice
My primary languages are Spanish and Russian, but my English is pretty good. I say exit because I really don't know any other word in English to describe that.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
My primary languages are Spanish and Russian, but my English is pretty good. I say exit because I really don't know any other word in English to describe that.

Landing is the proper term for a jump exit. Y como se dice jump in Spanish-salto, like triple salto?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Maybe it will be interesting:
russian term for jump combination is каскад (similar to english word cascade).
russian term for popping a jump is бабочка (babochka - actually it means butterfly). Some people shortens it to бабка (babka - which actually means grandmother or old woman)
russian slang term for falls deductions is shortened version - дед (ded - which actually means grandfather or old man)
so some people are joking about cultivating pensioners or building nursing home by some skaters in their protocols :biggrin:
russian term for judges overscoring or favoritism is грибы (gribui - which actually means mushrooms)
russian slang meaning of components (компоненты or shortened version компы) in some cases are changed to mean beauty of lady skater or, more specifically, attractivness of her body. For example phrase Ух ты, компонентна! (wow, she has so much/big components!) definitely not means PCS :biggrin:

Well, there are more - but it would be rather rude slang to translate and many of that words are not used by common skating fans too.

Haha, that sounds like stuff my family and I would say. Sadly our immigrant grandparents didn't teach us how to speak Russian (I had to learn in school), but I guess the humour survived!

How did грибы come to mean overscoring or favoritism?