HELP with Eng/Rus figure skating vocabulary | Page 3 | Golden Skate

HELP with Eng/Rus figure skating vocabulary

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
How did грибы come to mean overscoring or favoritism?

After seeing a huge overscoring, one commentator once suggested that the judges ate too many hallucinogenic mushrooms. This instantly became memetic, and the Russian word for "mushroom" gained dozens of new morphological forms to express all aspects of influence of mushrooms on modern figure skating.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I find a bit of a “cheat’s guide” is to watch a particular performance enough times in English so that I’ve memorised particular phrases (“ohh, and he only did a double!” etc) and then watch the same performance in another language.
Admittedly some words, “Axel” for example, will likely be the same, but it can be a starting point for learning when and how some phrases are applied. It’s a good way to sure up your knowledge of name diminutives, too.

A cool (or nerdy?) party trick is to watch a foreign broadcast with others around you, and without glancing at the screen, randomly drop things like “oh yeah, they’re shocked that he overrotated...that’s why he fell...
...what? Why are you looking at me like that? THAT’S WHAT THEY SAID! Let me watch in peace, ok?” ;p