How do you think the ladies would have been scored under 6.0? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How do you think the ladies would have been scored under 6.0?

juppiter

Rinkside
Assuming that the the ISU had kept the 6.0 system but gotten rid of corrupt judges like the Ukrainian judge and judges with conflicts of interest, how do you think the Sochi ladies event would have come out? I think the top three would have been the same after the short program, with Yuna in 1st (5.9/5.9), Carolina in 2nd (5.8/5.9) and Adelina in 3rd (5.8/5.8 ). I don't think Mao would be as low as 16th, but I think she would be out of medal contention. The top three would then, in the words of Terry Gannon, control their own destiny.

This is where it gets difficult. Would the judges give Mao any 6.0s for tech, even though she would be skating early and out of medal contention? I think she would have to get a majority of 5.9s for tech, at least. I think she also deserves 5.9s for presentation, but am not sure she would get them, skating early. But it is all kind of a moot point because she would have no chance at a medal.

For the medal contenders, I think it would be very close between Yuna and Carolina. I think it probably would be the same as the short program: Yuna 5.9/5.9 and Carolina 5.8/5.9. Adelina would get 5.8/5.8 or maybe even 5.8/5.7. Six triples vs seven didn't necessarily matter under 6.0, nor did the skater who did a triple-triple always place over the one that did. As for Mao, could she win the free skate under this scenario? If not, where would she place in the free?

They rigged under 6.0 just like they do now. BUT under 6.0 they weren't protected by anonymity. It is possible, but not 100% certain, that the result would have been different.

juppiter

Rinkside
I side with you. No matter what the judges do, we still get to see the skating. Does a skater move me? Do I get gooseflesh? One of my favorite skaters in the 1994 Olympics was Yuka Sato. She popped a jump and was out of the running, but she was still the most impressive skater to me. This time, I was moved to tears by Mao, and at that point I didn't care if they put members of the Russian audience ahead of her in the rankings, she was the best to me. I'm not an expert viewer by any means, but on the other hand, I'm answerable only to myself for my choices and reactions.

Mao's free skate was my favorite as well. I watched live at work and had to leave the office for a minute, I was so emotional. She should have been first in the free skate.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'd have scored them as:

1. Asada 6.0/5.7
2. Yu-Na 5.8/5.8
3. Sotnikova 5.9/5.7
4. Kostner 5.8/5.7
5. Gold 5.8/5.6
6. Wagner 5.7/5.6
7. Lipsnitskaya 5.6/5.6
8. Edmunds 5.7/5.5

peg

Medalist
What I hate about the 6 system is Judges ranking, which leads to change in positions regardless of what skaters actually did in their programs!
It was a strange, a very strange scoring system!! Somehow the same skater was ranked 2 and 5 or even 7 for the same program!
Yeah, as far as I was concerned that was the stupidest judging system of any sport. It would have made more sense to me to just add up those scores to get a total, and then the highest score wins. But to have skater #3 change the order between #1 and #2 after the fact? That made no sense whatsoever. Still doesn;t.

mskater93

Record Breaker
6.0 works if you aren't looking at interim placement, but rather final placement (because there'd be flip flops constantly). I frankly think TOM worked better than OBO in terms of getting to what the judges intentions were (assuming no one was cheating). It went to factored placements after Trixie Schuba amassed a huge lead (when they added up scores) from figures. She was a (comparatively) poor freestyler, typically finishing out of the top 3, but because of her strength in figures, won many competitions, which confused and enraged people because it "wasn't fair".