How long does it take to learn the axel jump? | Golden Skate

How long does it take to learn the axel jump?

autumnsun

Spectator
I’m an ISI F4, and I’m just beginning to work on the single axel jump. I’m curious as to how long it will take me to fully learn it to the extent that its passable to ISI’s standards. My goal is to learn it in 2 months, although I know that unless I work incredibly hard I won’t be able to achieve it. I was wondering since I learned my single flip jump in only one lesson with my coach, and well as the loop (in only one lesson), that it won’t take me very long to get the axel if I work hard. Is it possible to get it in 2 months in your experience and opinion? I’m hoping that since I typically skate 4 days a week that it will come quickly for me. I’m working on it off ice and I’m nearly at 1.5 rotations. I’m a little over one and a quarter rotations. Thanks! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m an ISI F4, and I’m just beginning to work on the single axel jump. I’m curious as to how long it will take me to fully learn it to the extent that its passable to ISI’s standards. My goal is to learn it in 2 months, although I know that unless I work incredibly hard I won’t be able to achieve it. I was wondering since I learned my single flip jump in only one lesson with my coach, and well as the loop (in only one lesson), that it won’t take me very long to get the axel if I work hard. Is it possible to get it in 2 months in your experience and opinion? I’m hoping that since I typically skate 4 days a week that it will come quickly for me. I’m working on it off ice and I’m nearly at 1.5 rotations. I’m a little over one and a quarter rotations. Thanks! :)
First of all, this needs to be in Lutz Corner @mods can we move it?

Secondly, it depends on how quickly you really learn and learn correctly. Most it takes a few months to a year, it's been a very long time since I learned my 1A and I'm pretty sure it took me 3+ mos to perfect it with correct technique.

I would suggest you wait to properly learn it on and off the ice with a coach. Otherwise you risk learning improper technique and injury.

autumnsun

Spectator
First of all, this needs to be in Lutz Corner @mods can we move it?

Secondly, it depends on how quickly you really learn and learn correctly. Most it takes a few months to a year, it's been a very long time since I learned my 1A and I'm pretty sure it took me 3+ mos to perfect it with correct technique.

I would suggest you wait to properly learn it on and off the ice with a coach. Otherwise you risk learning improper technique and injury.
Ok, thanks!

Sibelius

On the Ice
Mine learned her single jumps pretty quickly, Lutz took awhile, but not too long. I do recall she started working on her Axel in private lessons and group Axel classes in January and was consistent by July (a couple of years ago now I think). This was working six days a week (some two a days as well), anywhere from three to four private lessons plus the weekly Axel class. Some who were with her in the Axel class were still working on it when she last skated a month ago, so it really varies.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It is better to not rush yourself to achieve it.
If you get into a bad habit - like twisting - just to get the rotation, it will take a longer time to undo that poor habit.
Keep up what you're doing with proper instruction and don't compare yourself to the learning time of others. You'll get there!

Jetta

Rinkside
Everyone is different. I’ve personally seen skaters get an axel in only a month of trying and some it takes years. My skater took about 3 months of dedicated trying on and off ice to get the full rotation and landing. Sounds like you are determined and have a solid plan. Good luck!

ehirata

Spectator
Country
United-States
I started skating as a teenager and I'm afraid to say that I never cleanly landed an axel. I had many attempts (and many falls!) and I think I was maybe working on it for six months or so? I took some time off from skating after that during my college/early adult years and am now back at it at 31 years old, but haven't attempted it again yet. Let us know how you do! :)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
How old are you? I don't know what ISI F4 means at all, but I presume it's got to do something at which level you're at? Children and teenagers learn this much faster than oldies. The older you are the more difficult it gets, mostly because the older you our the more fearful you become. I feel lucky to even manage the single toe, salchov, flip and loop! Took me years. But then I was 49 when I started!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
How old are you? I don't know what ISI F4 means at all, but I presume it's got to do something at which level you're at? Children and teenagers learn this much faster than oldies. The older you are the more difficult it gets, mostly because the older you our the more fearful you become. I feel lucky to even manage the single toe, salchov, flip and loop! Took me years. But then I was 49 when I started!
You're right, it's a level. It requires a loop jump, a flip jump, a sit spin, an euler, a backward spiral on each foot, and all backward three turns.

The next level up which is what OP should be working on if they want to progress in ISI requires an axel, a lutz, a camel spin, a camel-sit combination spin, a back scratch spin, and two different choctaws, brackets, and twizzles (they are specified, I just don't remember which they are.

To answer your question, OP, it depends. It took me a year to get my axel. Then I spent the year after that perfecting it because ISI Worlds were really close to where I lived and I decided I wanted to go and do well. I put so much time into perfecting my skills at FS5 and didn't work on my FS6 skills very much. After that summer, I started to work on my double salchow and got it in one lesson. I had only attempted it a couple times before every now and then with my coach because we were so focussed on the skills in FS5.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is it doesn't just depend on how fast you learn; it also depends on how natural the jump feels to you. For example, I hate toe loops with a passion. They feel weird and awkward. My double loop is more consistent than my double toe loop to this day and the flip feels easier though it's not very consistent.

So yeah, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but there's no clear cut answer without a) knowing how you feel while doing it and b) seeing you skate. Asking your coach would be your best bet because they have seen you do it.

iceskating21

On the Ice
Yes, based on what I saw, the time to take could be very different. But I noticed one thing - no matter when they first landed, from start to consistant landing by which I mean axel can be put in an official program, it's about one year. Some kids took a long time to land, but once got it, it's solid. Some others landed quickly, but got it, then lost it, got it then lost it.....

sydneyonice

Spectator
Axels depend on the person! I landed my first axel a month after trying it off the harness for the first time. I have a friend who took 8 months to land it. The average time (from what I have seen) is 3-5 months! It may be shorter or it may be longer. I landed my axel so soon because I have been working on off ice axels since I was just learning how to do a waltz jump. Off ice makes such a difference! Good luck with your axel

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Axels depend on the person! I landed my first axel a month after trying it off the harness for the first time. I have a friend who took 8 months to land it. The average time (from what I have seen) is 3-5 months! It may be shorter or it may be longer. I landed my axel so soon because I have been working on off ice axels since I was just learning how to do a waltz jump. Off ice makes such a difference! Good luck with your axel
Was the off ice axel technique taught to you by a coach before you started trying it?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I learned through a youtube tutorial because at the time I didn't have a coach! Definitely not the best idea but it ended up working out :)
One should never do that and it's highly advised against. Always wait until you have a coach to learn. I'm just confused because you said you were learning the axel off ice since when you were just learning the waltz jump, so if you were learning that it sounds like that was with a coach. That is why I had to ask and was confused. Either way not good to do that and you risk injury and bad technique.

sydneyonice

Spectator
I'm aware it wasn't good, but it ended up working out just fine. When I came to my coach and showed her my off ice axel a few months ago, she said I actually had great technique. Just to be clear I wasn't advising that someone should start that early, I was just sharing my experience with this jump.
Also, I meant to say I started trying off ice axels when I was learning my waltz and salchow on ice.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm aware it wasn't good, but it ended up working out just fine. When I came to my coach and showed her my off ice axel a few months ago, she said I actually had great technique. Just to be clear I wasn't advising that someone should start that early, I was just sharing my experience with this jump.
Also, I meant to say I started trying off ice axels when I was learning my waltz and salchow on ice.
Thanks for clarifying. I've worked hard here to make sure newbies to the sport know that it is not advised or safe to learn jumps on or off ice yourself without a coach.

Good luck with your skating. :)