How to hack COP for the Olympics season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How to hack COP for the Olympics season

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me, Sochi was different because Yuna Kim also skated wonderfully. It could have gone either way. Plus, Kim was and is blessed with the most passionate fan base in the history of skating.

Blessed or cursed?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
One thing that has disappointed me about the IJS is that it has given skating fans so many more things to whine about when their favorite doesn't win. In the olden days, all we could say was, "My skater wuzrobbed because the stupid judges gave the other girl a higher ordinal -- are they blind?

Now we have a plethora of things to be miserable about. My skater wuzrobbed because the other girl should only have got a +1 GOE instead of +2 -- and here's a video compilation to prove it.

My skater wuzrobbed because the other girl didn't get called for an under-rotation, which was as plain as your face, stupid tech callers -- and here's a slo-motion video to prove it.

My skater wuzrobbed because the judges gave the other girl 9.25 in PCS, when she only deserved 8.75 -- and here's a quote from the bullet points to prove it.

My skatter wuzrobbed because the scale of base values is all wrong anyway and my skater's combo should get more points than the other girl's combo -- stupid ISU Technical Committee.

I've long credited the COP system for providing ample arsenals to debates on figure skating. I didn't think GS owner and admin would be disappointed by the enhanced enthusiasm and endless heated debates in the forum. :confused2:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I've long credited the COP system for providing ample arsenals to debates on figure skating. I didn't think GS owner and admin would be disappointed by the enhanced enthusiasm and endless heated debates in the forum. :confused2:

That's right. You just can't carry on much of a discussion by saying things like 5.7! 5.9! at each other in threads. Now the geeking potential is endless.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Blessed or cursed?

lol, not even comparable with fans of Kwan or Asada in the figure skating history IMO. The combination of both is quite....ho-hum as well. :)

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'll never get tired of Tchaikovsky war house music:cool:

I'm very tired of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and Nutcracker or R & J programs. I love his Eugene Onegin, but it never becomes a warhorse.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
It must be hard for you. To come to a sport forum, and unable to deal with discussions about upcoming Olympic games or appreciate people simply has a different view.
Aaand... here we have the usual Straw Man.
Make up something, and attribute it to the people who simply disagree with you.

Such irony.

Or is it just hypocrisy?

begin

Medalist
Passive-aggressive ranting thinly veiled by humor isn't conducive to a meaningful discussion. And frankly I really doubt that was ever your intention, OP :/

Mods?

That's a good point. But it's a double edged sword. I know for a fact that our owner and administrator is insistent on enforcing the GS guidelines, in particular those against insulting other posters and against persistent and excessive bashing of skaters.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
That's a good point. But it's a double edged sword. I know for a fact that our owner and administrator is insistent on enforcing the GS guidelines, in particular those against insulting other posters and against persistent and excessive bashing of skaters.

Growth is a double edged sword that comes with more work and more responsibility.

So, moderate bashing of skaters is OK? :)

Neenah16

On the Ice

I don't think it is okay to dismiss any complaint about scores or results as hate and bashing because sometimes the person does have a valid opinion. For example, when someone points out clear case of under rotation, or wrong edge that was not called and claim overscoring, then that is a valid complaint that should be taken seriously and discussed (because this is a discussion forum) regardless of who's fan they are.
On the other hand, when you get someone claiming that the skater was overscored and their only justification is that they do not like their style, the makeup is too much, music is boring, or my favourite "the program did not make me feel anything". these kind of posts are the one's I would take as an opinion and not a fact, and won't bother discussing.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
100%. Instead of sucking it up and accepting their own fave made mistakes that cost them points/the win, they make it their mission to nitpick the other contenders ad nauseum ... and with blatant bias at that.

I see that you defend Medvedeva hovewer you can but you can't possibly defend system that gave 7.50 (?!) points for her flutz overlooking wrong edge & being fixated on rewarding helicopter tano & 0.1 second lasting jammed in transition just for the sake of transition. I prefer long running edge of Osmond and beautiful extensions on the landing over random 3-turn, twizzle or microscopic spread eagle any day. And her programs also filled with transitions & multi-directional skating but with quality coming before quantity & imo deeper edges. 76.13 in PCS for immature skating & according to many tacky programs is outrageous as well as maxed out GOE especially vs other girls who don't get benefit for that and
for various tech elements like step sequence (hers is decent but is it great?). Do you think that Medvedeva deserves maximal points for her steps? More than prime Asada or Kostner get for theirs?!

Being consistent helps but it should not guarantee unreachable status. Russian girls no 1 who are annointed as contenders tend to get bonus ... there was Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Medvedeva and arguably Slutskaya who benefitted from that. Some call it politicking, it's nothing new.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I definitely don't agree with Medvedeva's exorbitantly high PCS but I'd say she usually hits at least 6 out of 8 of her GOE bullets on her StSeq.

Also while we both prefer Osmond's long clean landings, Medvedeva's exit transitions are a) difficult and b) rewarded by the system, if executed. As far as her microscopic spread eagle, an exit transition doesn't have to be the highest quality transition to be counted, especially on a landing when you wouldn't expect a ton of flow compared to a spread eagle on its own (e.g. her spread eagle 10 seconds prior to her 3L in the SP).

Medvedeva should be winning given what the current field is producing compared to her consistency. Whether she deserves the records, well, you are comparing two different seasons (and PCS has risen in the more recent one), and honestly, she has the records so the Kim/Mao fans just need to get over it.

If there ever is a competition that Osmond or Kostner or Miyahara goes completely clean then I would hope that the judges give them comparable PCS. Medvedeva's PCS is a result of consistency... she wouldn't be the first skater to constantly win with excessively high artistic marks just because she's the only one to skate clean and with the highest difficulty, even though she's clearly not the strongest artistically speaking in the field.

Last edited:

Lys

Match Penalty

Is she?
I would have never guessed considering all the double standards going around and some of the people GS chose to collaborate with.

Last edited:
So, moderate bashing of skaters is OK? :)

Strange as it sounds, I think the answer is, well, yes. As you say, we have to be able to offer criticism, otherwise we wouldn't have a forum.

What is not cool is the case of a poster who writes repetitious and unrelenting criticism of a particular skater, over and over on thread after thread -- indeed, where this seems to be their exclusive interest in the forum. This kills discussion rather than fostering it, because many posters will just move on rather that dare the troll's den.

Last edited:
Is he?

I would have never guessed considering all the double standards going around and some of the people GS chose to collaborate with.

She. (gsk8).

It's not as easy as it seems. We have to balance free speech with adherence to standards.

But I can say this. If you use the report feature (the little triangle with an exclamation point in it at the bottom left of each post) to call the attention of the moderators to a post that you feel violates the guidelines, you can be sure that the post will be scrutinized and discussed by the staff. Actions that are taken as the result of such reported posts are not made public.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It just makes you wonder what would have been controversial about taking away Sotnikova's gold and disqualifying her because of alla shekhotsiva

It just makes you wonder what would have been controversial about taking away Sotnikova's gold and disqualifying her because of alla shekhotsiva

Wait, what? What makes you wonder that? Of course it would have been "controversial," with people arguing on both sides.