How to improve my double Flip | Golden Skate

How to improve my double Flip

joycehe

Spectator
Hi, I'm nine and I'm having trouble with my double Flip. I always bend my right leg just before the takeoff, I fall every time. I've got used to bending my leg, even my single is like that. If I stretch my right leg, then I become cricket in the air. Can anybody give me some advice on it?
Thank you for reading.

marcopolobear

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi,

Your takeoff needs a bit of work, but you do get up into a pretty good "H" position first and then into a pretty good backspin position too. You could probably land it like this if you held your tight backspin position longer because you are opening up as soon as you start to come down (way before you touch the ice).

It's difficult to change an entry once you get used to it, so you need to go back and just do exercises first without trying doubles, because it would be better in the long run to get the free leg straightened and learn to draw your skating foot into the toepicked free leg.

Try doing just free leg extended, pick and draw into it, and up in the air (no rotation). You want to learn to pick and draw the feet together, and then up in the air. Don't worry about landing style too much (for this exercise you can land on the landing leg or both feet if you want.) The main focus is height! Use your arms too and draw them togther in time with the legs to add lift. This is an exercise to build the required muscles too.

Then practice this entry into the half-flip, so you can do a really nice half flip. And then work on doing this entry into a single flip with a nice big "H" position and not tight arms.

It's also good to try different entries into jumps. A c-step (Mohawk) entry is good also as it makes the entry slower and less swingy.

Hope this helps. Do you have a coach?

M.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Free leg is very bent so very little vault.
You also takeoff very very late after picking. Even with this sort of technique you'll want to be in the air sooner. You also take long time to get into the rotation, and combined with the takeoff this sets you off axis making it harder to land.

When you land, try land in backspin/rotation, and then train landing rather than coming out. Also ensure arms don't go down on way out or hard to land.

Most important thing technique wise is takeoff. Rather than spinning it you should vault it before collecting into rotation position, and ensure ankle is to the ankle in rotation.

joycehe

Spectator
Hello everybody, this is my axel, my landing is always unsteady, I can't hold the backspin position, I lean forward too much. Is it because of not enough height, or something else?

Thank you

marcopolobear

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello everybody, this is my axel, my landing is always unsteady, I can't hold the backspin position, I lean forward too much. Is it because of not enough height, or something else?

Thank you
Hi,

Looking at the video, I think you look OK in your air position. I'm not sure if you do it everytime, but you were moving your head a lot on the landing (turning it back and looking to your right). Once you get in the air, you want to keep your head steady at all times.

Also, it looks like you were opening your right arm first and pulling it backwards. The first thing to open should be your left elbow up and away from the tight position against your body. It should open in time with your free leg opening to the "H" position (which looks pretty good). Then as the rotation is checked by the free leg and elbow opening like that, you can open both arms and bring the free leg back to the landing position.

What is your coach telling you for this jump?

Hope that helps,

M

marcopolobear

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi again,

Just FYI, I asked about your coach because the video is kind of unclear - far away with the glass in the way - so it's hard to tell (so maybe what I saw was not right and my advice not on target).

But in the landing you are bending at the waist a lot for sure, so I am interested in what your coach is saying?

Cheers,

M

joycehe

Spectator
my coach didn't say anything about this! Even I didn't notice it until I saw my video. It happened every time in my program.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You're not jumping out. You're leaning forward because your body knows that if you don't tip forward, you will fall because you're into your circle, not out of it. If you look at the mark of your landing on the ice, I bet you will see a bit of a wobble to the inside before the outside, not one smooth edge. Additionally, you checked out late and over rotated.