How to prevent holes in skates? | Golden Skate

How to prevent holes in skates?

eclipse

Rinkside
I seem to have a tendency to slice into my landing boot with quite a lot of force to the point I have gone through to the other side and sliced open my toe. I superglued in the hole and have continued skating but I keep taking chunks out of the front and I feel like there will be a point where superglue isn't enough.

Anyone have any advice as to how to better fix holes and slice marks and to prevent forceful cuts in terms of things I can do to the skate

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
If you have sliced your blade clean through to the other side, you have compromised the structural integrity of your boot! Not to mention that you could injure yourself!
  1. Take your skates to your professional skate tech for safety evaluation.
  2. Work with your coach on your technique to keep your blade clear of your landing foot.
I know a skater that once slammed her free leg down on the tongue of her boot that she gashed open her foot after slicing through the tongue of her Edea Piano with her blade. However, that was an isolated incident and not a technique issue - it never happened again.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I seem to have a tendency to slice into my landing boot with quite a lot of force to the point I have gone through to the other side and sliced open my toe. I superglued in the hole and have continued skating but I keep taking chunks out of the front and I feel like there will be a point where superglue isn't enough.

Anyone have any advice as to how to better fix holes and slice marks and to prevent forceful cuts in terms of things I can do to the skate
Could you please clarify?

Do you have a hole (or holes) penetrating through from the exterior of the boot to the interior of the boot? If so, how many holes, where are they approximately located, and what are their approximate sizes?

Or do you have a complete cut across the boot (medial to lateral)? If so, what is the approximate length of the cut, approximately how far in is it from the front tip of the boot, and does the entire cut penetrate through to the interior of the boot?

What boots do you have?

eclipse

Rinkside
Could you please clarify?

Do you have a hole (or holes) penetrating through from the exterior of the boot to the interior of the boot? If so, how many holes, where are they approximately located, and what are their approximate sizes?

Or do you have a complete cut across the boot (medial to lateral)? If so, what is the approximate length of the cut, approximately how far in is it from the front tip of the boot, and does the entire cut penetrate through to the interior of the boot?

What boots do you have?
No problem at all, I can send photos of the current state of the left skate tomorrow to update.

I had 2 holes penetrating completely straight through to the point they did impact with my foot, one was in my tongue which is a tiny hole a couple of mm's tall. The other punctured through the round seam above my big toe and went through and caused it to bleed that one was around half a centimeter. Both of these I patched in to the best of my ability.

The complete cut across was very close to the tip of the interior and went completely across to the point I could see padding on the other side, I have reconnected this too and it seems solidly connected at the moment.

I have Jackson Supreme (previous) low cut DJ5452.