If i could give an OGM to someone without one | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If i could give an OGM to someone without one

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Brian Orser.

I think his 3 OGMs as a coach somewhat make up for the missed one during his time as a skater. Obviously it's not 100% the same but the fact he coached two different skaters to Olympic gold (one as a back-to-back champ) is an amazing accomplishment.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi in 2010.

Robin Szolkowy, the forgotten.

And I would let Anna Pogorilaya skate at the 2014 Olympics. Not to gift her the Gold, just to see where she would've ended up.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Patrick Chan . I mean it is a bit tragic that a skater who could produce Masterpieces like TEB 2013 LP and 4CC 2016 LP could not bag an OGM.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Chan, Browning, Abbott, Takahashi, Kwan, Bourne/Kraatz, Belbin/Agosto, Lambiel.

LynsJ

On the Ice
Kwan, kostner, Fernandez, medvedeva and another to savchenko massot [emoji7]

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kwan, kostner, Fernandez, medvedeva and another to savchenko massot [emoji7]

I will just reply as it was clear this was about skaters without an individual gold otherwise we will have a thread that goes out of control with people saying Hanyu should have 4 etc.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Yuna Kim was without an OGM in the 2014 Sochi Olympics. I would give her one.

:slink:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
OMG - I cannot believe I didn't mention Patrick Chan.

Well, Patrick does have an Olympic Gold medal. He doesn't have it in the individual event, but he has one all the same and is an Olympic champion. If I could give him an individual one, I would but I'd reserve it for someone who literally hasn't worn Olympic gold like Browning/Stojko/Orser - and those are just the Canadian options! :p

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Well, Patrick does have an Olympic Gold medal. He doesn't have it in the individual event, but he has one all the same and is an Olympic champion. If I could give him an individual one, I would but I'd reserve it for someone who literally hasn't worn Olympic gold like Browning/Stojko/Orser - and those are just the Canadian options! :p

This doesn't count. Team =/= individual and calling him an Olympic champion is misleading,

Pretty sure Chan himself would strongly disagree with you and take an individual Gold if offered.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I do not think calling Patrick an Olympic gold medalist/champion is misleading.

Gymnasts compete in the team event at the Olympics, and I believe team medals are not considered lesser than individual medals. Those who won a team gold medal are called Olympic champions and no one seems to dispute this.

And also: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spo...018-team-figure-skating-gold/article37936201/

After watching the individual and team gold medals slip away in Sochi four years ago, the medal is especially gratifying. That it came in the team competition, and not in the individual event he was once favoured to win, didn't matter, Chan said.

"I'm going to hold this medal tight to me and it's going to be as good as the individual event," he said."

"That's how I'm going to see it, that's how I'm going to enjoy it, and that's for me to decide. I worked really hard for this, we all worked really hard. We are a very tight-knit group here in Canada as figure skaters, and to me that means more than winning a medal individually."

rain

Record Breaker

Gymnasts compete in the team event at the Olympics, and I believe team medals are not considered lesser than individual medals. Those who won a team gold medal are called Olympic champions and no one seems to dispute this.

And also: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spo...018-team-figure-skating-gold/article37936201/

After watching the individual and team gold medals slip away in Sochi four years ago, the medal is especially gratifying. That it came in the team competition, and not in the individual event he was once favoured to win, didn't matter, Chan said.

"I'm going to hold this medal tight to me and it's going to be as good as the individual event," he said."

"That's how I'm going to see it, that's how I'm going to enjoy it, and that's for me to decide. I worked really hard for this, we all worked really hard. We are a very tight-knit group here in Canada as figure skaters, and to me that means more than winning a medal individually."

I'll always find it tragic that he doesn't have an individual gold, but not for nothing did Chan win the men's free skate portion of the team event to help the Canadian team win that gold. He wasn't just someone who was along for the ride. He pulled his weight.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Gymnasts compete in the team event at the Olympics, and I believe team medals are not considered lesser than individual medals.

Absolutely not. The only people who make the claim that team medals are as important as individual medals are those skaters (and their fans) who don't win the invididual medal.

If the team event was really equally important, there wouldn't be so much grousing about putting it after individual events so it doesn't affect skaters' performance in the individual skates.

I find it pretty insulting to actual individual champions to equate team champions to them.

Gymnastics competitions are structured differently so you're comparing apples to oranges.

rain

Record Breaker
Absolutely not. The only people who make the claim that team medals are as important as individual medals are those skaters (and their fans) who don't win the invididual medal.

If the team event was really equally important, there wouldn't be so much grousing about putting it after individual events so it doesn't affect skaters' performance in the individual skates.

I find it pretty insulting to actual individual champions to equate team champions to them.

Gymnastics competitions are structured differently so you're comparing apples to oranges.

I agree and disagree. I think that skating is primarily still an individual (or pair) event, BUT, I do think we're seeing growing importance being placed on the team medals, with countries consciously vying for them rather than just falling into them.

I also don't think and never have that an Olympic medal is chopped liver just because it's in a team event rather than an individual event. I still give credit where credit is due, and I think most others do as well.

ankifeather

Final Flight

But everyone who nominated Chan in this thread is disputing this. If people generally believe team gold is the same as individual gold, his name wouldn't be appearing at all.

For the team gold, the only real champion is the Country, because the team gold demonstrate this country is the strongest on an overall basis across four disciplines.

On the topic of team medialist, I would nominate Yulia Lipinskaya for the OGM. I know she is a one hit wonder, but given there had been one hit wonder OGMs in the past like Hughes or Adelina, I would much rather it had occurred for Yulia instead. Unfortunately, this is where the team event might actually have ended up being detrimental to her individual event.