Ilya Yablokov | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ilya Yablokov

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
In an interview after the FS, Ilya said he competed with a fractured fibula. He is on pain killers but they don't really help much.
Presumably, that's also the reason he withdrew from his second Cup assignment twice.

Frankly, I'm quite devastated by the events unfolding at this year's Russian Championship. Just thinking about it all brings me close to tears. My two favourite skaters are flying home (and I don't even want to put it into writing, but it is what it is) with potentially career ending injuries.

Quick and complete recovery to Ilya, and to Lyosha as well! I'll always be waiting for them back on the ice and I'll try not to think of any alternative outcome. They are fighters and they can come back!
I only just saw this information, it's crazy he was still able to rotate quads on a broken ankle! I hope the fact he attempted them means he is on the way to recovery. But please Ilya, take the rest of the season off if you need to, keep Alexei company and heal up together :pray:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ilya said in an interview with a Russian streaming platform that he switched to ice dancing and started training with a new group a week ago. Imo, it was unclear whether he was being serious or joking, but Russian sports media are now reporting it as fact. :shrug:
I hope it's not true.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Apparently it's true. 😭😭😭
They say he is trying out with Arina Ushakova in Natalia Linichuk's group at AOP.

I am happy that Ilya found a way to continue his figure skating career despite his injuries that apparently don't allow him to perform with the technical content required for singles anymore. I'm also terribly sad because Ilya stood out among the Russian men and I believe he would have been a fan favourite of an international audience as well with his charm and charisma. But he only ever had one international senior competition, and now we will never know what could have been. What a talent he was. And to think how we once joked that coach Vika would keep a box of ice cream ready for him in a K&C at Worlds just makes me even sadder. πŸ₯Ί

Well, it is what it is. Good luck to Ilya and may he succeed in his new endeavours! πŸ€
His performances at 2021 JGP Ljubljana, at the 2021 Russian Cup stage in Sochi, and at the 2022 Cup stage in Moscow will always have a special place in my figure skating fan's heart.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Best of luck to Ilya, though it will take me some time to not feel sad about this πŸ₯Ί

I worry sometimes that the learning curve for ice dance is often underestimated - they have a different approach to skating skills than singles even in areas like basic stroking. Then again, I had never anticipated Nikolai Majorov as an ice dancer yet he's had a great first season, so with a lot of hard work it can be done! And Ilya is a natural performer.

I'm glad his last singles season had the best programmes ever πŸ₯°

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'll miss him in men's singles.

Here is the whole interview.
It's over an hour long, so I won't go into detail, everyone can watch for themselves. Just a few titbits, his favourite animal is a turtle, his favourite plant is a cactus 🌡:laugh:.

It was shocking to hear how many injuries and illnesses he had in the past seasons. Between the first Cup stage and Nationals he had such a bad case of pertussis (I was stunned to find out this is even still a thing) that he broke two ribs from coughing so hard.

Throughout the whole interview, Ilya comes across as a very smart and thoughtful lad, sometimes cheeky, always charming. He'll be doing fine, with or without ice dancing.

ETA: Oh, and I almost forgot, one of his secret dreams is to run a chain of restaurants in Europe and earn a Michelin star.

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ilya is performing in an ice show at the Moscow Spring Festival.
I am glad Ira Sharova is back on social media. Through the years she has provided us with some of the most beautiful pictures of the Moskvich lads, and this photo series is no exception. πŸ₯Ή

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ilya's solo number at the spring festival last weekend. Apologies for the mediocre video quality, it's the best I could get.

3Lz and 3S are still in good working order, should he ever decide he needs them again.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
:jump::jump::jump:

"Russian figure skater Ilya Yablokov has suspended training in Natalia Linichuk's dance group, a source close to the situation told RIA Novosti.
In early February, Yablokov announced his transition to ice dancing from single skating and the start of training under the guidance of Natalia Linichuk at the Evgeny Plushenko Academy. His partner was supposed to be Arina Ushakova.
According to the source, the 20-year-old figure skater stopped training with Ushakova.
The athlete is inclined to abandon the transition to dancing and has begun to work on the restoration of the jumping arsenal. At the moment, he performs in ice shows."

Last edited:

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I didn't know he had switched to Ice Dance, last I heard was he was out injured, surprising choice as he seemed a strong singles skater. I guess I will watch this space.