Ilya Yablokov | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ilya Yablokov

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ilya competed his SP today and landed his quads like the cat he is. 😸 He wasn't happy with his performance, but I think there was a lot to like. The gorgeous Ilya Bauer, the huge 3A in the second half!

Every season Ilya just gets more handsome, and his skating becomes more expressive. I could watch his programs for hours.
Good luck tomorrow in the free! 🍀🍨

Ilya's SP today

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ilya had a 4S as the opening jump in his planned program content for the FS but opted for a 3Lo instead. I understand that with the way Russian domestic competitions are scored now, they have to promise more quads to get the reputation points, but I'm glad Ilya and his coaches also have a plan B ready when it's obvious a particular jump won't happen that day.
The invalidated 3S in the Euler combo was a bit harsh given the lenient tech calling evident elsewhere at the Russian Cup. But it probably wouldn't have changed anything and it really wasn't a good combo, so let's not dwell on it.

Ilya seemed very focused on the elements in the first half of his program. The performance came alive with the step sequence. I love the way he moves his arms during the twizzles, almost like an ice dancer. The whole program is a real crowd pleaser, it was the right decision to keep it for another season. Ilya has also noticeably changed from last season, he's all grown up now. It's such a difference from the skater we saw eating ice cream first in the K&C three years ago. Watching a favourite skater from his Junior days and seeing the refinement every season is one of the most rewarding things of being a figure skating fan for me. 😺

Ilya will compete next at the fifth stage in Samara, together with team mate Lyosha. Last year Ilya won the internal Moskvich duel, I'm curious how it will work out this time. I hope they both make it to Nationals in any case, and I'm even beginning to dream about the Cup Final. Ilya qualified last season, but couldn't participate because of his injury, it would be great if he got another chance.

Linking the Russian competitions that are shown by the national broadcaster is inconvenient now that there is nothing left on youtube, so I won't bother anymore. My PMs are open if anybody needs anything. ;)

Ilya's FS:

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ilya has withdrawn from the Cup stage in Samara, but not to worry, he will compete at the final stage in Moscow instead (Nov. 25-26) in front of his home crowd. :cheer:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Ilya starred in advertising for a popular mobile operator

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Behind the scenes from Ilya's insta. Our most charming TV star, now the ice cream advertising contract can't be far off. 😸

I still hope he focusses on skating for a couple more years if his health allows it.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Good news! Ice Cream Ilya has returned! 🍦He competed yesterday at the Nats and despite a wonky 4T he did very well and it's a relief to see his cheery self back.

I can't find it on YouTube but here's a link to Ilya's skate via the Channel One website

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ilya ended up somewhere in the middle of the final standings at Nationals. But that doesn't really matter now. What matters is that he was healthy enough to compete again and even go for multiple quads and that he looked cheerful and satisfied with the result. He is a good lad, always thanking his coaches in the K&C and even sending some support to his injured team mate.
In my opinion, he is also the most charismatic and interesting of the Russian youngsters, such a natural performer. I hope he still has a long career ahead of him and will continue to entertain us with his competition programs.

@anonymoose_au Thanks for cheering for Ice Cream Ilya here with me. :ghug: Sometimes it is especially nice to cheer for a skater together, and now is one of those times.

For those who don't want to go to the Channel1 homepage, I've put Ilya's skates on youtube.

SP:

FS:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
In an interview after the FS, Ilya said he competed with a fractured fibula. He is on pain killers but they don't really help much.
Presumably, that's also the reason he withdrew from his second Cup assignment twice.

Frankly, I'm quite devastated by the events unfolding at this year's Russian Championship. Just thinking about it all brings me close to tears. My two favourite skaters are flying home (and I don't even want to put it into writing, but it is what it is) with potentially career ending injuries.

Quick and complete recovery to Ilya, and to Lyosha as well! I'll always be waiting for them back on the ice and I'll try not to think of any alternative outcome. They are fighters and they can come back!

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Something beautiful for the end of the year:

giphy-downsized-large.gif