Interview with Angelika Krylova | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Interview with Angelika Krylova

MIM

Medalist
I think he's not that bad as he seems in the muscle department. I've seen some pictures of him which I can't find right now. Power and stamina certainly. I don't know about weight, but I suppose it can't hurt.
Lena has lost weight this summer, but she doesn't look so skinny as in this picture here, after CoR.
http://instagram.com/p/vgXX8SqBk2/?modal=true

Wow!!! I envy her!!!:shocked::love::dance: I woud like to see his photo, too.:eek::

She looks even more toned right after a workout. She probably has this amazing body underneath a fluffy dress while our eyes are deceiving.:biggrin: Or, regardless the weight, she skates so big and generates so much torque/momentum/force with her edge that requires her partner more power to keep up with her. Okay, even though she had gained weight since the summer, if the figure she is now is the optimal shape for her to skate her best, it is not only unfair but also a big loss for the team to ask/scold/punish her to lose weight. Because I believe her passion and power is the key for this team.

I guess my point is that I see some off-balance between I and Z, especially when skating, and do not want this keeping them from realizing their potentials. For example, judo has seven weight divisions; Judo athletes choose the division based on their natural body type or move up and down between divisions strategically by gaining or loosing weight. Russlan can consider to move his division from where he used to be. Elena and Russlan just changed the partner and surely has been adapting deliberately to changes in skating style, weight, and whatnot, which is marvelous. But, if the coach ignores the issue and let it work out automatically, Russlan can get injured or worst case, drop his partner and injure them both.

Yes, a coach has to be involved actively in the weight issue and find a solution which is optimal for the individual team. Loosing a female partner's weight is the easiest way, but also the poorest and the least thought-out way to resolve the issue. Anyways, W/P is the ideal team with the best balance among the current dance teams, so I guess she is doing her job really well.

Matt K

On the Ice
I think he's not that bad as he seems in the muscle department. I've seen some pictures of him which I can't find right now. Power and stamina certainly. I don't know about weight, but I suppose it can't hurt.
Lena has lost weight this summer, but she doesn't look so skinny as in this picture here, after CoR.
http://instagram.com/p/vgXX8SqBk2/?modal=true

How is she "skinny" in that picture? If she is skinny then what say you about Meryl Davis? Oh, but are we not allowed to address the elephant in the room?

Personally, I think having muscle weight (up to a certain extent) is not a problem. Tanith Belbin once said that once she moved to Linichuk she made her gain 10 pounds and that made her skating much more powerful and fluid. And you could see it too.

I rather not see overly thin skaters thinning themselves to get smaller so they can run quicker on the ice and do circus lifts easier. I rather see good, deep, skating with amplitude. Not Tinkerbells running and hopping on the ice.

Matt K

On the Ice
Hi everyone! (New poster here:eek::)
She basically said that Tessa didn't work hard after 2012 worlds (how could she actually know that?), Meryl has no talent and Cappellini/Lanotte looked helpless at CoC (they didn't look good for sure, but helpless is a bit harsh).

I cannot say I disagree with her about the latter two, but the view that Tessa didn't work hard after 2012 worlds, when they did Carmen in 2013 is extremely :unsure: and :think: to me. They also executed very difficult and interesting lifts very well.

I like Krylova/Camerlengo's work with their teams so it won't change my opinion on her.

Alba

Record Breaker
How is she "skinny" in that picture? If she is skinny then what say you about Meryl Davis? Oh, but are we not allowed to address the elephant in the room?

I don't get the ref. of the elephant in the room? :confused: You mean Davis?

About Elena, I was saying that compared with how she looks with Ruslan on Ice, with costumes.
mimtang was speaking about off-balance between I and Z.
By the way, I never had problems with Elena's weight tbh. I thought she was perfect, always. Same goes for Tessa.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
She looks even more toned right after a workout. She probably has this amazing body underneath a fluffy dress while our eyes are deceiving.:biggrin: Or, regardless the weight, she skates so big and generates so much torque/momentum/force with her edge that requires her partner more power to keep up with her.

That's what I think too. :)
Plus, someone mentioned this in another forum, people look larger/bulkier on video/television, due to the effect of lights and warped scale. So in skating fans watching a broadcast and fans in the building are seeing different things.
I think this is true. I've seen skaters both in tv and in person and the perception you have in tv is very different from what you see in the building, in person.

Okay, even though she had gained weight since the summer, if the figure she is now is the optimal shape for her to skate her best, it is not only unfair but also a big loss for the team to ask/scold/punish her to lose weight. Because I believe her passion and power is the key for this team.

No, I said she lost weight. This is the result now, but as I said above, I never thought she had problems in that department either.

But, if the coach ignores the issue and let it work out automatically, Russlan can get injured or worst case, drop his partner and injure them both.

No, I don't think their coaches work like that. If anything they are very good in developing young/new couples.

Last edited:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Hi everyone! (New poster here:eek::)
I've always been a fan of Krylova as a skater and as a coach, but I find this interview quite disturbing. Maybe she didn't mean exactly what is written there (misinterpretation by the interviewer or some nuances got lost in translation), but she was just so mean in such a gratuitous way, especially towards Tessa and Meryl, that I really don't get why she had to say those things. She basically said that Tessa didn't work hard after 2012 worlds (how could she actually know that?), Meryl has no talent and Cappellini/Lanotte looked helpless at CoC (they didn't look good for sure, but helpless is a bit harsh). You can think whatever you want but when you are a public figure bashing your previous and current opponents is something you just shouldn't do (and it kind of also make you seem desperate). Anyway due to my love for Weaver/Poje I am willing to forgive her (eventually):biggrin:

I too have always been a big Krylova fan so IA - several of her comments were rather disturbing. It appears in the translation that the interviewer brought up the "weight" issue. Who was he/she & did they, I wonder, have some sort of hidden agenda. Since Krylova is coach to another Canadian team I think she's walking a fine line criticizing Virtue's "weight" gain (which was actually muscle gain through new rehab for her leg issues) and V/M's lack of hard work after 2012. How would she know about their training? Was she at the rink watching? Don't understand her purpose behind her harsh comments unless it's to push forward W/P - but why at the expense of others?

Matt K

On the Ice
I don't see anywhere where she is secretly pushing an agenda, or any agenda.

Neither do I see her "pushing" for W/P. And certainly not at the expense of others.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I too have always been a big Krylova fan so IA - several of her comments were rather disturbing. It appears in the translation that the interviewer brought up the "weight" issue. Who was he/she & did they, I wonder, have some sort of hidden agenda. Since Krylova is coach to another Canadian team I think she's walking a fine line criticizing Virtue's "weight" gain (which was actually muscle gain through new rehab for her leg issues) and V/M's lack of hard work after 2012. How would she know about their training? Was she at the rink watching? Don't understand her purpose behind her harsh comments unless it's to push forward W/P - but why at the expense of others?

My mom, who is a very wise woman, once said to me, If the only way you can prop up your own position in an argument is by belittling someone else's, then it doesn't say much about the strength of your argument.

cocofeliz

Rinkside
My mom, who is a very wise woman, once said to me, If the only way you can prop up your own position in an argument is by belittling someone else's, then it doesn't say much about the strength of your argument.

I think everyone is being harsh towards Anjelika. It is true that Tessa gained weight right after the olympics. You can see it in her face because her face looks fuller. Obvious no one is saying she is fat, but she did gain weight, and this is indirectly supported by the fact that Moir subsequently seemed to struggle with lifting her quite a bit and they came to be known over those four years for their error-strewn performances. While they were beautiful on ice still, they were not reliable performers. And speaking of belittling others and expressing displeasure unprofessionally, no one is more guilty of then Ms. Virtue herself who kept insinuating with Mr. Moir time and again that their coach favored the Americans and their loss is mostly due to politics. I have never once heard of either Moir or Virtue giving their opponents due credit. To me they ended their career on a very sour note and it was their choice, but it was unprofessioal and disrespectful of them.

Alba

Record Breaker
You can see it in her face because her face looks fuller. Obvious no one is saying she is fat, but she did gain weight, and this is indirectly supported by the fact that Moir subsequently seemed to struggle with lifting her quite a bit and they came to be known over those four years for their error-strewn performances. While they were beautiful on ice still, they were not reliable performers.

I don't know about the face thing you are talking about. First of all Tessa had an injury. Second, maybe, just maybe, their lifts were extremely difficult and complicated just like their programs, and that why they had problems? Have a look at Carmen than come and talk about them resting on their medals.

And speaking of belittling others and expressing displeasure unprofessionally, no one is more guilty of then Ms. Virtue herself who kept insinuating with Mr. Moir time and again that their coach favored the Americans and their loss is mostly due to politics. I have never once heard of either Moir or Virtue giving their opponents due credit. To me they ended their career on a very sour note and it was their choice, but it was unprofessioal and disrespectful of them.

I don't know if V&M bashed their opponents. Never heard about that.
However, about Zueva favoring D&W my impression is that he was most probably saying the truth. Only they know for sure though, so we can only speculate here. However, I didn't like the fact that Scott came up with that after the Olympics. If they were not happy enough with Marina they should've left her before the Olympics. Klimova&Ponomarenko, Grishuk&Platov left their coaches the year before the Olympics and went on just fine, if not even better, to win the OGM.
So speaking afterwards it sounds like a sour grape indeed. Not because it wasn't true, but because this is how it sounds.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It really annoys me that the dance ubers have made the discussion about this article all about stupid V/M/D/W stuff, when the fact that Krylova is describing abusive and disgusting tactics to control weight for her skaters is either being excused or hardly mentioned!

Alba

Record Breaker
It really annoys me that the dance ubers have made the discussion about this article all about stupid V/M/D/W stuff, when the fact that Krylova is describing abusive and disgusting tactics to control weight for her skaters is either being excused or hardly mentioned!

We have discuss it and going to discuss it, the topic is open for debate.
Nobody is preventing anyone here to speak about whatever they want, that is related to this interview. If you singles uber are annoyed that not everyone see or read things as you do, well deal with it. You do not get to choose on what people should focus or speak about. The interview is about different subjects. Feel free to choose yours, not to dictate.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
We have discuss it and going to discuss it, the topic is open for debate.
Nobody is preventing anyone here to speak about whatever they want, related to this interview. If you singles uber are annoyed that not everyone see or read things as you do, well deal with it. You do not get to choose on what people should focus or speak about. The interview is about different subjects. Feel free to chose yours, not to dictate.

:agree:

BlackPack

Medalist
I hate talks about weight issues as much as the next person, but Anjelika is a professional. She trains athletes and any weight gain will throw off the biomechanics and balance of the skating, movement, and lifts. Aesthetics is central to figure skating.

She is tough and straightforward. I rather have a coach who tells the truth than a coach who is in denial.

As for her comments about V&M, I think they are mostly spot on. However, I think their eventual eclipse by D&W was not due to V&M resting on their laurels or having a lack of work ethic - I think it's the opposite; they really wanted to surpass their past achievements, or they wouldn't have stayed on after 2010. I sincerely think the problem was because Tessa had to deal with a few injuries and also the fact that their coaching situation was a bummer. I do think they could have moved on to another coach, when it was clear that Marina began to favor D&W more. Regardless of all that, their worst result was still second in the world, which is still a great accomplishment considering how hungry D&W were.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While in hindsight we can all sit back and say V/M should've left Marina, I can see why they didn't. Changing coaches in Olympic year is a huge risk. It's genuinely possible that even before the Olympics, they already felt like they were the #2 team... but it seemed too late to change. Now, maybe Scott shouldn't have gone out and admitted that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hate talks about weight issues as much as the next person, but Anjelika is a professional. She trains athletes and any weight gain will throw off the biomechanics and balance of the skating, movement, and lifts. Aesthetics is central to figure skating.

Is she really professional if her means of "controlling" a skater's weight is to weigh them everyday and make abusive and belittling comments about it?

That's exactly how Antipova ended up in the hospital.

Barb

Record Breaker
I wonder how much pressure is put above the men in pairs and dance to get muscle. It is very common no skaters men use steroids, I don´t know if this is detected in the doping?