IOC Executive Board Mtg - Yuzuru Hanyu Biggest Star | Golden Skate

IOC Executive Board Mtg - Yuzuru Hanyu Biggest Star

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...anyu-named-olympic-channels-biggest-star.html
Although he was runner-up at the figure skating world championships Saturday, Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu is still No. 1 with viewers, an International Olympic Committee official said Thursday.

Yiannis Exarchos, the Olympic Channel Services executive director, said at a press conference after the IOC wrapped up its current executive board meetings that Hanyu is the biggest attraction of the IOC's content provider, the Olympic Channel.

"Yuzuru Hanyu is the biggest star of the Olympic channel, not just in Japan but everywhere," Exarchos said. "Figure skating has an extraordinary performance. Obviously, all the content we do for Japanese athletes has a lot of traction, but I would like to single out figure skating as a very special case of increased traffic."

Well, well. Congratulations to Yuzuru being the Biggest Star on the Olympic Channel. Global power pushing the sport forward. the Mega Superstar could run the IOC, Run the ISU, Run the JSF with more skating to offer to the sport. Skate right into Beijing and 3 OGM. The absolute power Yuzu has is universal. The multi millionaire is set forever. congrats Yuzu.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on Yuzu fan fest but I don't get why it is important. Is it really a big deal?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I guess it's a nice nod from the Olympic Channel who covers both winter and summer sports of all kinds, that over all the countries and sports they cover and broadcast, Yuzuru stands out as the most popular world wide.

-Even when its not an Olympic year and attention usually drops off, content about figure skating and Yuzu still gets a lot of views and buzz. Not bad for a niche sport.

NaVi

Medalist
I'm sure Yuzuru is doing well financially, but I can't understand why anyone of his stature would not have an account on Instagram. It's practically throwing future money and relevancy away. It could be managed by someone else. He could post one picture and just forget about it. Having a large social media following makes post-retirement sponsorships much easier to find and maintain. If he did shows after he retires he could instantly drive ticket sales from it.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Maybe he values his privacy more than money at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

^Maybe he values his privacy more than money at this point.

I feel like he’s single handed Lu contributing to a healthy percentage of skating revenues.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I saw this on Yuzu fan fest but I don't get why it is important. Is it really a big deal?

It is quite a big deal, at least to show ISU & JSF quantifiable proof of Yuzuru's popularity.

Also Olympic Channel knows how to capitalize on Yuzuru's star power, esp on social media platforms, something that ISU isnt doing as much. I.e. Olympic Channel guys know how to market & they said they dont even have some of the rights.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sure Yuzuru is doing well financially, but I can't understand why anyone of his stature would not have an account on Instagram. It's practically throwing future money and relevancy away.

Yuzu gave away his Olympics winnings, both times. When given the People's Award, he declined the gift that normally goes with it. He severely restricts the number of businesses he endorses, and how many endorsements they get from him. Not that it's actually any of our business, but I think we can safely say that he's not short of a quid, and that there are definitely things he finds more important than money. Like a positively un21st century desire for privacy (as every fan who's waited through the drought each year knows) and given the blazing spotlight he's had to deal with since the ripe old age of what, 16? plus his status as both idol and symbol, can anyone blame him?

It's not as if he needs to be on social media himself to dominate the skating side of it; try searching his name on twitter even on a slow day. Actually, holding himself apart from it definitely adds to his undoubted mystique.

It'll be interesting to see as we head towards the Tokyo Olympics whether the summer athletes take over, but it sounds like the Olympic Channel have no plans for that. It's good for skating, after all.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Everyone, his latest endorsement, KOSE, has persuaded him to have a short-term blog! https://ameblo.jp/kose-sports/entry-12443581161.html It had a few posts and then of course, is on pause for Worlds. It will start up again from April till the 10th.
Anyway, each post also has a voice recording. Things like, "I love cute anmials" "Victory is my passion!" And other deep truths have become known. :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Anyway, each post also has a voice recording. Things like, "I love cute anmials" "Victory is my passion!" And other deep truths have become known. :laugh:

"I like cats" got several thousand replies within hours. Can you imagine if he told us something we didn't already know??? :biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone, his latest endorsement, KOSE, has persuaded him to have a short-term blog! https://ameblo.jp/kose-sports/entry-12443581161.html It had a few posts and then of course, is on pause for Worlds. It will start up again from April till the 10th.

What is all the talk about healing? Google translate is not helping...cats are healing? He can't have cats because of asthma, but they are healing? Then someone says birds are more healing, etc.

yude

Record Breaker
"I like cats" got several thousand replies within hours. Can you imagine if he told us something we didn't already know??? :biggrin:

Honestly, when I heard "I can't ride a bike" last year, my jaw dropped. :eeking:

LindaTNo1

Rinkside
Thank you for the replies. The power that Yuzuru has is so great and global, figure skating is just the beginning of his Japan's People's Honor life. He is a mover, shaker, and difference maker for the Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami which he is a direct survivor of. The Greatest of All Time will be both in skating and off the ice, for sure. He is the face of figure skating. He sell outs arena's now already. His professional skating career will be the same. IOC is right, he is the Biggest Star.