Is Rika an exciting skater? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Is Rika an exciting skater?

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
I think Rika has a good shot of beating Sasha if Rika lands her axels and Sasha doesn't land all of her quads. As for Alena and Anna, Rika should be competitive with Alena due to similar difficulty and artistry (in my eyes) and above Anna due to Anna's notorious lutz edges, but knowing edges haven't been called all season after CoC, I expect her to place after both if all skate reasonably clean. What Rika needs above all else now is consistency - popping/falling on her axels at major competitions gives away points AND gives people reason to say she doesn't deserve, say, Alena or Anna's levels of PCS (or even Bradie's, now, I guess).

I just wanted to share some thoughts on Rika's International Angel of Peace program, since I was as ??? about it as everyone at the beginning of the year but now I'm almost regarding it as like Rika's Hope and Legacy. Both play on an universal theme of salvation (peace/hope), both are nuanced compared to programs like Alena's Twilight (nothing wrong with that program, btw - it's just different since those programs showcase the skater and their own personality while the program here is about slipping into, telling a story of, and embodying something more abstract and universal) and both have a buildup to a cathartic moment of greatness (I'm thinking Yuzu's Ina Bauer/Hydroblade sequence and Rika's Ina Bauer knee slide choreo sequence).

IAoP's music, particularly the piece in the middle about the caravans, and the music style, remind me of Middle Eastern and central Asian Muslim and Buddhist mosques and Grottoes, especially their rise and fall over history. The beginning of the program signifies their first creation and enshrinement (0:10-0:45ish), then we experience all the turmoil and unrest (up until around 1:27ish), then we're back to the peaceful, almost zen sounds as a kind of reprieve, as if the temples are serving as places of refuge for the people during those tumultuous times. The conflict returns, though, from around 1:55, building up in tempo and urgency, until we're almost at some kind of negotiation table / duel scene at 2:15, with chanting in the background and intense beats. But then the resolution comes at 2:42. The chants were, before, just the faithful reciting their lines, but now the worshipper has an audience, and the music blossoms open. Peace has finally come. Light is now finally shining on the tiles of the mosques, the faces of the buddhas in the grottoes. The figures have finally stopped being causes for war but are now simply serene representations of people's hopes for prosperity and salvation. We have found hope, and it is a beautiful thing.

...Perhaps I'm too attached to stories of the Mogao Caves. But regardless, Rika's program here to me really tells a story, and one that I adore, since it's a beautiful one, and one that isn't just about her. I wish more people would be able to see that and appreciate it just like they appreciate say Jason Brown's programs. :pray:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I think Rika has a good shot of beating Sasha if Rika lands her axels and Sasha doesn't land all of her quads. As for Alena and Anna, Rika should be competitive with Alena due to similar difficulty and artistry (in my eyes) and above Anna due to Anna's notorious lutz edges, but knowing edges haven't been called all season after CoC, I expect her to place after both if all skate reasonably clean. What Rika needs above all else now is consistency - popping/falling on her axels at major competitions gives away points AND gives people reason to say she doesn't deserve, say, Alena or Anna's levels of PCS (or even Bradie's, now, I guess).

I just wanted to share some thoughts on Rika's International Angel of Peace program, since I was as ??? about it as everyone at the beginning of the year but now I'm almost regarding it as like Rika's Hope and Legacy. Both play on an universal theme of salvation (peace/hope), both are nuanced compared to programs like Alena's Twilight, and both have a buildup to a cathartic moment of greatness (I'm thinking Yuzu's Ina Bauer/Hydroblade sequence and Rika's Ina Bauer knee slide choreo sequence).

IAoP's music, particularly the piece in the middle about the caravans, and the music style, remind me of Middle Eastern and central Asian Muslim and Buddhist mosques and Grottoes, especially their rise and fall over history. The beginning of the program signifies their first creation and enshrinement (0:10-0:45ish), then we experience all the turmoil and unrest (up until around 1:27ish), then we're back to the peaceful, almost zen sounds as a kind of reprieve, as if the temples are serving as places of refuge for the people during those tumultuous times. The conflict returns, though, from around 1:55, building up in tempo and urgency, until we're almost at some kind of negotiation table / duel scene at 2:15, with chanting in the background and intense beats. But then the resolution comes at 2:42. The chants were, before, just the faithful reciting their lines, but now the worshipper has an audience, and the music blossoms open. Peace has finally come. Light is now finally shining on the tiles of the mosques, the faces of the buddhas in the grottoes. The figures have finally stopped being causes for war but are now simply serene representations of people's hopes for prosperity and salvation. We have found hope, and it is a beautiful thing.

...Perhaps I'm too attached to stories of the Mogao Caves. But regardless, Rika's program here to me really tells a story, and one that I adore, since it's a beautiful one, and one that isn't just about her. I wish more people would be able to see that and appreciate it just like they appreciate say Jason Brown's programs. :pray:

I love this. I love Rika's senior FPs. They are beautiful, well though-out, cohesive, the music cuts are so very well mashed up and the costumes are pretty. My favorite is still Beautiful Storm. :luv17:

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
She is an exciting skater, but this years FP does her no favour. Her SP is extraordinary - that Japanese/Middle Eastern jazz is a bold, out of the box choice and quite exciting. I believe she does a great job with it. The Beautiful storm last year was exactly that, beautiful. But this International Angel of Peace is tragic. It is boring, pretentious and utterly disappointing. It is not her fault; it is the program. Can't imagine anyone being able to "sell" that.

lzxnl

Final Flight
If not for the 3A I highly doubt anyone would take a second look. She is the definition of skating through the music and checking the to-do list. I heave a little bit each time someone speaks of her like Asada's second coming.

One could say the same of Trusova. Take away her quads, who would watch? Or Scherbakova? I'd much rather watch Rika skate without a 3A than any of the other two skaters mentioned without their quads or 3As.

Joekaz

On the Ice
One could say the same of Trusova. Take away her quads, who would watch? Or Scherbakova? I'd much rather watch Rika skate without a 3A than any of the other two skaters mentioned without their quads or 3As.
But could you say that about Kostornaia? Hell no. Lol

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But could you say that about Kostornaia? Hell no. Lol

Some people unquestionably can and do. There is no such thing as a sports star who everyone finds exciting, and outside the skating bubble, you would probably find most folk have difficulty telling the 3A apart... which is going to be a marketing problem, I suspect, for the two who will fall behind.

Kostornaia's style doesn't meet everyone's tastes, no more than any other skater.

The subject question is an exercise in pointlessness, really. Rika is exciting for folk, and Rika is unexciting for other folk (I watched the Japanese ice shows and yes, many in the audience were excited and thrilled and deeply moved by her skating).

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Some people unquestionably can and do. There is no such thing as a sports star who everyone finds exciting, and outside the skating bubble, you would probably find most folk have difficulty telling the 3A apart... which is going to be a marketing problem, I suspect, for the two who will fall behind. Kostornaia's style doesn't meet everyone's tastes, no more than any other skater.

The subject question is an exercise in pointlessness, really. Rika is exciting for folk, and Rika is unexciting for other folk (I watched the Japanese ice shows and yes, many in the audience were excited and thrilled and deeply moved by her skating).

I think the question was an exercise to prove that Rika was not exciting.

If this was a thread with 3 responses then yes I'd say they managed to collect their proof. But alas it's 6 pages so they failed lol!

E

eterialskater

LOL I'm pretty sure Shcherbakova's quadless and no 3A SP is already far better than anything Rika could ever produce. Nuance, musicality and elegance. That's my standard for top female skaters. Kihira does not have any of those.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

I'd watch Anna (and Sasha) any day without quads and 3As :)

E

eterialskater

The problem with Kihira is that there is nothing much to remember outside her power jumping. Her 3A is no longer a wow factor as Kostornaya does it better with intricate steps to boot. Mind you technicians have been quite generous not giving her UR calls on that jump recently. Her artistry is nothing to write home about either I am trying to remember when she impressed me most and the closest I get was last season at NHK. She really needs everything to come together otherwise the program becomes just another forgettable performance. In short terms she has no wow factor that leaves a lasting impression. Great skaters just have that magic quality about them and honestly I do not see it in her.

lzxnl

Final Flight
The problem with Kihira is that there is nothing much to remember outside her power jumping. Her 3A is no longer a wow factor as Kostornaya does it better with intricate steps to boot. Mind you technicians have been quite generous not giving her UR calls on that jump recently. Her artistry is nothing to write home about either I am trying to remember when she impressed me most and the closest I get was last season at NHK. She really needs everything to come together otherwise the program becomes just another forgettable performance. In short terms she has no wow factor that leaves a lasting impression. Great skaters just have that magic quality about them and honestly I do not see it in her.

Rika has been skating to wildly different music every year and has come a long way in interpreting them. Last season, I originally thought her Clair de Lune was pretty meh, but her WTT performance of it was very good technically and artistically. She hit the main notes, she conveyed the feel of the music, and her skating flowed marvellously.

However, it was a bit princessy. Her short this season and both frees from the past two are anything but. Sure, her short music is incredibly strange and off-putting. But her skating is very nuanced if you take half a second to look for them. Her free program is actually fairly underrated, as trying to skate to so many different styles of music in one performance is very hard. I've enjoyed all of Rika's step sequences these past two seasons; I can't say the same for other skaters.

What's wrong with Kostornaia? I do like her the most out of Eteri's students. She has great speed and ice coverage and her flow in and out of jumps is commendable. However, she has not skated to many different kinds of music, and her programs are really, really bleh. Her short and half her long, before the music switch, are the same program. For a while, I couldn't remember her short program music because of how similar it was to her long in style. Maybe I'll enjoy her more when she skates to something that isn't horribly repetitive and is of a different mood, for the WHOLE song, and where the music cuts actually have meaning.

Meanwhile, Scherbakova's jumps detract toooooouch from her performance when nearly all of her toe jumps are half turn prerotated + on the entire blade. Trusova doesn't sell her programs to me, at all.

curious

Final Flight
Rika is not wakaba. Now that's an exciting dynamic skater. her long program music is the best.

Pantsu

On the Ice
One could say the same of Trusova. Take away her quads, who would watch?

Big Spender from Trusova at the age of 13 was absolutely amazing, her Unstoppable video from on ice perspective gathered 589k views. I think the original video had more than a million views but they had to remove it later. By the way, Medo has 381k views
Yeah, who would watch

Joekaz

On the Ice
I think the question was an exercise to prove that Rika was not exciting.

If this was a thread with 3 responses then yes I'd say they managed to collect their proof. But alas it's 6 pages so they failed lol!
The thread was to find out if people find her exciting or not, just like it says. I do find her exciting at times, but not in general. Just because you score highly under the current scoring system, or any system really, doesn't necessarily mean you are exciting in the way you do it, or even that you are one of the most skilled. It just proves that you excell at what skills are valued most under the current system under the current set of judges, which both change over time.

curious

Final Flight
LOL I'm pretty sure Shcherbakova's quadless and no 3A SP is already far better than anything Rika could ever produce. Nuance, musicality and elegance. That's my standard for top female skaters. Kihira does not have any of those.
Anna's short program is the most compelling and my favorite . She looks like a ballerina just perfect.

Anna's short program is the most compelling and my favorite . She looks like a ballerina just perfect.

I like Anna's program the best, too. However, this thread is about "exciting." Perfect ballerina skating is a joy to behold, but I would not use the adjective "exciting." ("Compelling," yes. :yes: )

Nathan Chen is exciting.

Last edited:

Orlov

Medalist
I like Anna's program the best, too. However, this thread is about "exciting." Perfect ballerina skating is a joy to behold, but I would not use the adjective "exciting." ("Compelling," yes. :yes: )

Nathan Chen is exciting.

"Exciting" is pretty subjective :) One of the translations "exciting" into Russian is "захватывающий". The literal translation of this word (back to English) is "something that captures you" - сaptures your attention, thoughts, soul etc. When Anya performs "Perfumer" - it literally captures me. So... :)