ISU bans Russia and Belarus from competitions | Golden Skate

ISU bans Russia and Belarus from competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearly

Record Breaker
Russia and Belarus are out of international competitions - including the upcoming Worlds in March.

Following the IOC recommendation, in order to protect the integrity of ice skating competitions and for the safety of all the participants of international ice skating competitions, the ISU Council based on Article 17.i.q)i) of the ISU Constitution, agreed that with immediate effect and until further notice, no Skaters belonging to the ISU Members in Russia (Russian Skating Union and the Figure Skating Federation of Russia) and Belarus (Skating Union of Belarus) shall be invited or allowed to participate in International ice skating Competitions including ISU Championships and other ISU Events. The same applies to Officials listed in the respective ISU Communications and/or Regulations under Russia and Belarus.

Last edited:

peese

Medalist
Well, Well! This changes everything for all skaters in each discipline. This has become an entirely different event now hasn't it. Wondering how many skaters are being woken up at this hour being told of this breaking news....

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I admit I am super sad for the kids of Junior WC, if there is one. The terrible events of the last week are not of their making. :( But I guess it cannot be avoided as underaged skaters cannot come without their coaches.

pearly

Record Breaker
Well, Well! This changes everything for all skaters in each discipline. This has become an entirely different event now hasn't it. Wondering how many skaters are being woken up at this hour being told of this breaking news....
I feel for the athletes unable to compete for reasons beyond their control, truly. I will miss seeing Misha and Liza (in case they were selected), the pairs, Stepanova and Bukin and possibly Khudaiberdieva and Bazin in case Sinitsina and Katsalapov were planning to skip the event.

That said, this will be the most interesting and rewarding women's event in a while.

surimi

Record Breaker
I feel for the athletes unable to compete for reasons beyond their control, truly. I will miss seeing Misha and Liza (in case they were selected), the pairs, Stepanova and Bukin and possibly Khudaiberdieva and Bazin in case Sinitsina and Katsalapov were planning to skip the event.
Wouldn't this have been Kolyada's last competitive season? If so, the guy has had some rotten luck in the recent years...

Arbitrary

Medalist
Not just at Worlds. At any international competitions of ISU.
Same sanctions are on ice-hokey, football, cross-country skies & biathlon, speed skating, basketball, handball, volleyball etc.

It could be a political decision, but it's based on the very political input of war.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
the problem is much bigger than Russia and Belarus not being allowed to participate.

How will skaters even get to the event? For instance, Royal Dutch Airlines currently states:

• suspended our flights to and from Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
  • temporarily suspended of flights to and from China, Korea, and Japan, while we study flight routes that avoid Russian airspace and that are in compliance with Dutch and international authorities' directives.
And if KLM does this, many other airlines have the same issues.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
As of right now I'm out as well from watching Worlds. Shouldn't go political, ISU.

Politics interfere with sport when Ukrainians can't even leave their country. See you next year. :thank:

the problem is much bigger than Russia and Belarus not being allowed to participate.

How will skaters even get to the event? For instance, Royal Dutch Airlines currently states:

• temporarily suspended of flights to and from China, Korea, and Japan, while we study flight routes that avoid Russian airspace and that are in compliance with Dutch and international authorities' directives.

Rumors have it that France will also not be issuing Russians visa for the time being. The ISU, as usual, only puts out statements when there is no other alternative instead of making a stand and putting themselves on the line for what is right. What else is new. At least the Russians are out.

surimi

Record Breaker

wow, I admit I have had zero idea about flights from those countries. I just somehow assumed they'd be taking a transfer route through South-east Asia and the Middle East, but I guess that would be very expensive?

Arbitrary

Medalist
AFAIU the decision is made upon the ongoing war in Europe. There are no direct issues against specific sportpersons.

pearly

Record Breaker

That will change from day to day. Right now, theoretically, you could fly for example from Moscow to Belgrade or Dubai and then to the rest of the world. If you can get a ticket, that is. Now, if Russia was allowed to send skaters, I am sure they would find a plane to take them. I don't know if they'll go through to the trouble for Morisi or other skaters currently training in Russia. Their own federations will probably be responsible for that.

Country
Norway

Russian cards are most likely blocked from international payments as well. If you even get hold of a plane ticket, it won´t be easy paying for it. There is a lot of difficulties on the way. That´s why i´m worried about Morisi. He can go, but it won´t be easy for him if he is Russia now and faced with the same sanctions.

Last edited:

peese

Medalist
I wonder what kind of state Eteri is in right now?? Will Morisi be Zoom coached if he gets there? Will he just decide to move on to someone else? What about all the other Russian skaters representing other countries with Russian coaches? It will be a very interesting next couple of weeks!

pearly

Record Breaker
I wonder what kind of state Eteri is in right now?? Will Morisi be Zoom coached if he gets there? Will he just decide to move on to someone else? What about all the other Russian skaters representing other countries with Russian coaches? It will be a very interesting next couple of weeks!
Russian skaters representing other countries are fine and as per this document, Russian coaches are technically not banned from going. If they can get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.