ISU bans Russia and Belarus from competitions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ISU bans Russia and Belarus from competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Could ISU at least revoke the ridiculously long, RusFed-sponsored waiting period on changing the country? They should be at least allowed to protest by switching county.

Pairs events will be unwatchable… Good for Gubanova, Kurakova and all the lesser known Russian boys who will be starting soon. Supremely unlucky Shabotova will be in a very awkward situation again.

icetug

Medalist
And I think a very stressful couple of weeks for those athletes. Fingers crossed for them, but especially for the skaters in Ukraine like Shmuratko. They're the most unsafe of them all if they're in their home country right now. Heartbreaking 😿
It's heartbreaking indeed, like seeing a single skater Nastya Arkhypova, who lives in Kiev, ready to fight for her country.
She took part in Worlds last year... And now, as she said lately, she's afraid to fall asleep, because she may never wake up again.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I do feel really awful for all the Russian skaters. This isn't their fault. However, I think this was the correct decision. And honestly, I'm relieved that I don't have to see Kami skate again and go through the whole doping mess. Her FS at the Olympics was one of the hardest things I've ever had to watch in sports. The one discipline that is really lacking now is pairs. The Russian pairs are all genuinely fantastic and unique. I will also miss the men, whom I adore dearly (but I don't think they would be challenging for the podium, especially if Nathan is going). But in the women, as previously mentioned, I don't want to have a repeat of the Olympics. Also, as other posters have pointed out, NHK Trophy (after Daria got injured, that was another hard moment to watch) was a really good event. The Japanese and Korean skaters will now have a chance to shine, and the skaters won't have massive point gaps between them. I'm actually looking forward to it now.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It's heartbreaking indeed, like seeing a single skater Nastya Arkhypova, who lives in Kiev, ready to fight for her country.
She took part in Worlds last year... And now, as she said lately, she's afraid to fall asleep, because she may never wake up again.

I remember her from junior events! I liked her. She was so vivacious. This is awful. 😞
And like someone wrote here, I wouldn't want to be in Shabotova's shoes either right now. I wouldn't be surprised if she WD.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I remember her from junior events! I liked her. She was so vivacious. This is awful. 😞
And like someone wrote here, I wouldn't want to be in Shabotova's shoes either right now. I wouldn't be surprised if she WD.
Really, WDs? The gal had been through public shaming and Gods know what else, didn’t do well in Oly, and you suggest that she tops it up with WD in a thinned-out field? Heck, no. I hope she competes and lands 3A. Of course, the ex-Russians will all get like 5’s in PCSs, but of course, it would only be fair. Malinin will probably be an exempt, though.

Joekaz

On the Ice
50% of this board finally got what they wanted. No more Russians. All is well in the world now. The competition will be fair and no more cheating. And we will all sing happy dance.
Are you kidding? Just watch any National competition and you will still see plenty of favoritism.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Really, WDs? The gal had been through public shaming and Gods know what else, didn’t do well in Oly, and you suggest that she tops it up with WD in a thinned-out field? Heck, no. I hope she competes and lands 3A. Of course, the ex-Russians will all get like 5’s in PCSs, but of course, it would only be fair. Malinin will probably be an exempt, though.

I am not suggesting anything, I said I wouldn't be surprised if she (decided to) WD. I actually feel sorry for her, stuck in the middle of all this.

pearly

Record Breaker
I am not suggesting anything, I said I wouldn't be surprised if she (decided to) WD. I actually feel sorry for her, stuck in the middle of all this.
Well I don't know if we can expect any skaters from Ukraine to participate. Most of the men are not allowed to leave the country and I doubt there is much training going on there right now. Wasn't Shabotova trying to get out?

pearly

Record Breaker
There's something on my mind right now and this might not have even involved figure skating, but someone might remember the story still.

Wasn't there a debate once about an athlete who had two passports (A and B) and represented country A internationally, but used the B passport to enter a country for a competition? Or wanted to but could not because the purpose of travel was to represent A in that country?

I'm not trying to imply this is relevant to this situation in any way, but I can't stop trying to recall the details.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
50% of this board finally got what they wanted. No more Russians. All is well in the world now. The competition will be fair and no more cheating. And we will all sing happy dance.
I don't think anyone wanted this...If Russians were banned due to the doping scandals that's one thing, but it's because the leader of their country has sent the army into another country where they're bombing the hell out of the place and killing people.

It's horrible. :(

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Way too late for that. ISU has always been political. Finally, a good reason for it to be so.

There's a difference in politics for Feds throwing their weight around on rules/scoring and politics your government is doing xyz so we aren't going to let anyone of those athletes compete.

And again I'm going to reiterate my point I've made in other threads, they have stepped into this arena now - they now going to ban an athlete for what their government does now the whats the standard and is it equally applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.