ISU bans Russia and Belarus from competitions | Page 21 | Golden Skate

ISU bans Russia and Belarus from competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
No...not that....just irrational things that could happen...or just even demonstrrations...who knows these days...maybe I'm being paranoid.

I don't think anyone's threatening this event.

Worst thing I could imagine is a group of people who are pissed off about Russia being
banned from sports coming to demonstrate bearing flags, but that is unlikely due to lack of access from Russia
and also, you know, why put such effort and take such risk trying to make a splash at a niche event?

ElenaNikitaFan

Rinkside
Sorry, Russia kids' access is not a priority at this juncture. Ukrainian kids could only wish that such a problem was on their radar. Creating pressure to overthrow Putin is only priority right now.
Competitions are not a priority either so let's cancel all sport competitions including worlds...

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The point is to pressure Putin by isolating Russia. Canceling events does not achieve that goal. If the Russian people are upset that their athletes are excluded, all the better to create the most pressure.
It is a double edged sword though, because for many ordinary people in Russia it also feeds into the narrative of the evil Westerners who would like to wipe everything Russian from the face of the earth.
I also think it's problematic that the ban is indefinite. If at least the athletes knew that if x/y happens they will be allowed to compete again, then they could maybe organize silent protests/write carefully worded open letters (like many Russian scientists did), but nope...

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
No...not that....just irrational things that could happen...or just even demonstrrations...who knows these days...maybe I'm being paranoid.

Relax, I know Putin is mentally hill but if he really wanted a world war, he would already launch his arsenal bombs

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Last edited:

beachmouse

On the Ice
Physical terrorism outside the borders of the old Soviet Union doesn’t seem to be a Russian approach so I’m not sure enhanced security in that regard is necessary. France has its share of homegrown/immigrant extremists but they seem to have long put an emphasis on protecting their sporting events because something like a terrorist bombing at the Tour de France during a mountain stage would be so catastrophic. (Look at some pictures of an Alpe d’Huez year for the scope of the crowds you can get. The French embed security well for those kinds of sporting events where it‘s far harder to control a crowd than at an arena complex)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is what happens when Russian athletes are not banned from competition...they are used for rule-breaking, Kremlin propaganda.

I was surprised that Russian gymnasts were competing but apparently the ban didn't go into effect until Monday 2/28.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread was for information purposes only regarding figure skaters from Belarus and Russia not being allowed to participate in ISU events. If there are any changes, we will post the new information.

You are welcome to create new threads or discuss existing topics in the Speakeasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.