Jason Brown | Page 708 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

pianistliz

On the Ice
Hey everyone, first post in this fan fest. I started following Hanyu last year, and that led me to discover other skaters and follow the sport more closely, and now Jason is one of my favorites as well. I was so looking forward to seeing him skate this weekend; I had no idea he had been in an accident or had withdrawn until I saw his name wasn't on the list today. Wishing him a continued speedy recovery, and feeling very glad that his team seems to be taking precautions.

Ross74

Medalist
Oh damn, saw finally a new post on this thread and hurried over, thinking someone found some updates on him at long last :palmf::drama:
but really, I share your thoughts @noskates... and let's pray that he will actually be there (SA) at 100%!!

Sorrrry! I knew that would happen but I just had to share my funky feelings. :)

Welcome, pianistliz! Hopefully you'll become a fan of a lot of skaters. I think we all hope we'll have some good news about Jason to talk about soon

tzazu

Medalist
Oh damn, saw finally a new post on this thread and hurried over, thinking someone found some updates on him at long last :palmf::drama:
but really, I share your thoughts @noskates... and let's pray that he will actually be there (SA) at 100%!!

Same here!:laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks @MGStyle for bringing the news and translation here.

Yaaaaas:yes2: for Jason at Skate America.

I know it's off topic, but I am feeling particularly sensitive now as one of the Eagles players in last night's game was knocked out cold and carried off the field in a stretcher. (and yes, I realize Jason does not have 300 pound men trying to run into him, as Avonte Maddox does. But still...)

:pray:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I’m so thrilled to hear that Jason’s doing better! I probably won’t make it to SA :sad21: but I’m so looking forward to seeing him skate again.

el, concussions are really scary. It’s kinda getting to the point that I’m struggling to watch football because of what can happen to the players.

Ross74

Medalist
I know it's off topic, but I am feeling particularly sensitive now as one of the Eagles players in last night's game was knocked out cold and carried off the field in a stretcher. (and yes, I realize Jason does not have 300 pound men trying to run into him, as Avonte Maddox does. But still...)
:pray:

We were having dinner at a bar and watching the game when that occurred. Very sobering.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I remember the weekend after Josh's announced, the beloved captain of my beloved rugby league team was taken off with concussion during a game. I was a wreck.

NFL is strange to me. Helmets and padding will not help if you are still smashing your heads together. Rugby league technique is taught to, you know, not use your head, so there seems to be a lower incidence of concussion in the NRL, even without helmets and padding. But it is a problem here too, and one that is not always taken as seriously as it should. (One day, I will get my hands on the "back in my day" commentators that pervade the sport and scream at them.)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The leader of the Japanese fan club has obviously been in contact with Jason. According to her he told her "I am so sad that I couldn't go to Nebelhorn, but I am in much better shape now. See you at Skate America! I am so excited!"
Let's say this is a good news!!! :hap10::agree:
https://twitter.com/JasonBrownFP/status/1177603933725847552

So very relieved to hear this and thrilled that he still plans to be at Sk Amer! Thx for the news!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
My pleasure everyone, I was so happy to see that post I couldn't not share! I just hope what he told her is 100% truth, and not just him trying to make her (+ the whole fandom) feel better and calm. Still a little dubious that no official communication has come through from an official source, but I would like to remain positive at this point!
I can't wait for SA and to see (hopefully) him in action at long last, and reveal his new gorgeous programs!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason news:clap: not much new, but some quotes I had not heard before.

No reference to the Nebelhorn withdraw or any injury, though:confused: I wonder when the interview was done? Still, you would think USFS would not publish if they did not have some confidence he would appear :pray:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting that article, ice coverage!

El, my guess is that the interview was probably done before his injury at Champs Camp and intended for Nebelhorn, and then later updated to include the SA information.

I agree it’s probably a good sign that he’ll compete. :)

Not to be whiny, :drama: but I do find it really strange that there’s no mention of his injury or that he pulled out of Nebelhorn. You can’t pretend something away by ignoring it, and while there’s no need for great detail, the overall lack of transparency is a bit disappointing. Perhaps he’ll discuss in a later interview.

Ross74

Medalist
Not to be whiny, :drama: but I do find it really strange that there’s no mention of his injury or that he pulled out of Nebelhorn. You can’t pretend something away by ignoring it, and while there’s no need for great detail, the overall lack of transparency is a bit disappointing. Perhaps he’ll discuss in a later interview.

I think there could be several reasons for not wanting to address it at the time, especially the concussion. If he's not comfortable discussing it, or doesn't plan to ever mention it, that's ok. We wouldn't have even known about it if it weren't for Doug. As for Nebelhorn, withdrawing could have been due to the concussion itself, being very careful, or due to the fact that valuable practice time was lost because of the concussion and he needed more time to prepare. He could have even been sick. Medvedeva almost withdrew from Shanghai Trophy because she'd had a flu-like illness for a couple of weeks and hadn't been able to practice. There could have been a bug going around TCC. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to address it in some way, because I'm curious, but only when or if he's ready to. Have other skaters given reasons for withdrawing from Challenger events? I have no clue.

Men's short program at Skate America is TWO WEEKS from Today!!! :yahoo: I'm feeling confident that he'll compete.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
^The thought of seeing Jason in two weeks seriously makes me happy. I am always, always praying for his health.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think there could be several reasons for not wanting to address it at the time, especially the concussion. If he's not comfortable discussing it, or doesn't plan to ever mention it, that's ok. We wouldn't have even known about it if it weren't for Doug. As for Nebelhorn, withdrawing could have been due to the concussion itself, being very careful, or due to the fact that valuable practice time was lost because of the concussion and he needed more time to prepare. He could have even been sick. Medvedeva almost withdrew from Shanghai Trophy because she'd had a flu-like illness for a couple of weeks and hadn't been able to practice. There could have been a bug going around TCC. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to address it in some way, because I'm curious, but only when or if he's ready to. Have other skaters given reasons for withdrawing from Challenger events? I have no clue.

Men's short program at Skate America is TWO WEEKS from Today!!! :yahoo: I'm feeling confident that he'll compete.

I think most of the time skaters do give reasons for withdrawing from competitions, even if not formally - if not directly, then they tell someone who says something.

For Jason not to say a word is out of character, just as not posting good wishes to everyone who celebrates the high holidays is out of character. He’s withdrawn from two other competitions due to injury, and he made a statement both times about how sorry he was and mentioned the injury.

He has always been a communicator, except when he left Kori and when he withdrew from Worlds. So the fact that he’s not communicating now about something seemingly routine for an athlete - accident/ injury/illness / withdrawal from competition- is just odd. It’s not like people would ostracize him if he mentioned it.

It makes me worry.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's really frustrating for sure! I don't think he’s been silent for this long. I'm dying here. But given his TCC teammates, namely Jun and Yuzu, basically adopt radio silence during the season, maybe he's just taking their cues and focusing on training.

Of course we've see Jun and Yuzu already this season. :laugh:

I won't believe he's at Skam until we see him at practice! :drama:

Last edited: