Jason Brown | Page 709 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I mean he also trains with Evgenia - and although she’s super serious about training, she also posts a lot. I think it depends on the individual.

If Jason has a tendency to spread himself too thin, I could see how deciding to post less frequently would make sense. But 6+ weeks is a bit extreme. :dev2: Maybe he just hasn’t figured out a happy medium yet. Kind of ironic that he’s “pursuing a communications degree,” though, eh? :)

The thing is, I don’t think it’s Yuzuru’s silence that made him a great skater, and I don’t think being silent like Yuzuru will magically enable Jason to jump quads or make him a world champion. So if he’s deliberately choosing to be silent, I hope that’s not why.

I do worry that he’s frustrated, perhaps that injury set back his training, and that the 18 month Orser time line is fast approaching, and he feels behind schedule.

Hopefully I’m wrong and he’ll be all joyous and brilliant at Skate America. I do really like how he described both programs and I’m so excited to see them!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I mean he also trains with Evgenia - and although she’s super serious about training, she also posts a lot. I think it depends on the individual.

If Jason has a tendency to spread himself too thin, I could see how deciding to post less frequently would make sense. But 6+ weeks is a bit extreme. :dev2: Maybe he just hasn’t figured out a happy medium yet. Kind of ironic that he’s “pursuing a communications degree,” though, eh? :)

The thing is, I don’t think it’s Yuzuru’s silence that made him a great skater, and I don’t think being silent like Yuzuru will magically enable Jason to jump quads or make him a world champion. So if he’s deliberately choosing to be silent, I hope that’s not why.

I do worry that he’s frustrated, perhaps that injury set back his training, and that the 18 month Orser time line is fast approaching, and he feels behind schedule.

Hopefully I’m wrong and he’ll be all joyous and brilliant at Skate America. I do really like how he described both programs and I’m so excited to see them!

Indeed, indeed. I don't think Yuzu's routine about switching on the silent mode has little to do with his own muting, unless it's an order from the team.
What gives me the negative vibe is that, when he went on the prolonged silence, it was after 2018 Nats when he was severely down emotionally. It makes me wonder about his psychological state after the accident, and this past month and a half or so.
I repeat your words myself, Hopefully I’m wrong and he’ll be all joyous and brilliant at Skate America.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I get why everyone is concerned, i am to some extent, but at the same time I wouldn't be quick to conclude that the reason is completely a bad one.

I mean concussion aside, an accident like that, one that could have resulted in something far worse, can be a shock-- and perhaps he just wants or needs some time away. I don't think it should be considered a bad thing. Let's not forget that he came out of that 2018 silence and sadness with resolve to try again. This accident may have been a setback, but i would like to think he's learned resolve and patience over the last 18 months and is doing what he needs to do. I hope like the rest of you we’ll see him in good shape in a few weeks.

And no silence doesn't automatically make you jump better, but i see no harm in picking io habits if you feel its beneficial. Honestly, if i see co-workers who are successful, i often ask and try out their work strategies. Obviously I don't claim or know if that's the case here, but Brians urging to him to be more focus is why i tossed that theory out there.

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Evgenia is 19 years old and very social. She's experiencing that life for the first time over this last year plus. Both Jason and Yuzu are about to turn 25. They are clearly not as social and feeling the need to concentrate on what is undoubtedly their final Olympic quad. They are in different places. I think for Yuzu he maintains silence to help create the mystique, stay focused and avoid distractions, and give him some personal space. Jason doesn't have those exact issues, but I expect that he is tired of questions about his quads, did have to alter his training schedule and doesn't want to talk about it, because....quads again, and just wants to concentrate on his training with no distractions. Whether Jason masters consistent quads or not, he is still in the game and can stay in the game as long as everything else is great. His goals are to get to Worlds and get to the Olympics. Medals would be a desirable outcome, but getting to the competitions is his goal. Whatever that car accident was, it was an unfortunate and unpredictable event, and now he has to deal with it. Keeping stress levels low will help with that and minimizing social media is probably one way to manage the stress. I can't wait to see him at SA. I wish I could be in the stands, but I'll be watching from home and cheering him on as loudly as I can!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@Mrs. P, I absolutely think it’s possible he may be feeling more “innig” post-accident. I think we all hope that even if he experienced frustration and setbacks with his training due to the injury, he will move past them and skate beautifully and confidently at SA. I also agree that it makes sense to test out the strategies of successful people around you. My point was really that he has two very different models to choose from (Evgenia and Yuzuru).

To be clear, I think there may be a benefit to him in minimizing distractions and focusing more on his training and less on social media. Both Kori (re learning from experience of Olympic FS) and Brian (in some interview last year) have mentioned that he tends to lose internal focus at comps, and remember how he started wearing headphones at comps last year? But I personally think the biggest thing Jason needs to learn from his World and Olympic champion training mates is to see himself as a skater in their league, as a potential champion. If silence on social media helps him get there, so be it. :)

@bookseller, nice to see you posting again.

I think it’s hard for us to know what’s driving individual skaters unless they’ve made public statements about those things. And in my experience, age doesn’t necessarily determine how social you are or how you approach achieving your goals.

I know quite a few people far older than Jason or Evgenia who have always been extremely outgoing who are also high achievers. On the flip side, Evgenia has always struck me as pretty extraordinary in that from a very young age, she has seemingly had the ability to combine an outgoing, social personality with a laser focus and champion mentality. Where Jason falls on this continuum, I can’t say.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Zheyna goes through periods of social media silence too though! I remember when things were difficult early last season she didn't post that much.

I've accepted that Jason made a clear shift in how he wants to use social media for wherever reason so while this silence is maddening, it’s where he is right now.

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
....Whatever that car accident was, it was an unfortunate and unpredictable event, and now he has to deal with it. Keeping stress levels low will help with that and minimizing social media is probably one way to manage the stress. I can't wait to see him at SA. I wish I could be in the stands, but I'll be watching from home and cheering him on as loudly as I can!

Thank you, this is very much how I feel. Wishing him the best!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Zheyna goes through periods of social media silence too though! I remember when things were difficult early last season she didn't post that much.

I've accepted that Jason made a clear shift in how he wants to use social media for wherever reason so while this silence is maddening, it’s where he is right now.

Yes she has! But I think it’s been mainly when she gets a lot of negative comments.

You’re right that Jason has changed how he uses social media these days, and in the main I think it’s a good thing. I really think he was spread way too thin during the Olympic Year, and even though I griped a bit last season when he pulled back on social media, it totally made sense to me. It just seems odd that there’s never been even an informal acknowledgment of his injury or withdrawal from Nebelhorn, while it’s pretty common knowledge that Evgenia nearly withdrew from Shanghai Trophy because she was ill with flu and had a high fever.

Anyway, my thoughts won’t change things, and if he eventually discusses it, it may turn out that there was a very good reason for the silence. Maybe its just too hard for him right now. Maybe he’s just trying to move forward. In any case, I’m still excited to see the new programs and to see him skate soon. :)

Ross74

Medalist
It just seems odd that there’s never been even an informal acknowledgment of his injury or withdrawal from Nebelhorn, while it’s pretty common knowledge that Evgenia nearly withdrew from Shanghai Trophy because she was ill with flu and had a high fever.

I think Zhenya's illness was only made known during a round of interviews she gave following her SP. I don't believe Jason ever discussed his ankle injury that was present at Golden Spin (or was it TDF), and that was only revealed by a comment later from Tracy. I don't think he commented on his SOI ankle injury that impacted his TCC training until it was mentioned by Brian in an interview, even though everyone knew about it thanks to Karen's IG Story. I know these are minor and didn't really affect his participation or programs and that does make a difference. Desperate for Jason content, I recently rewatched the long Flett interview where Jason commented that he doesn't like to make excuses for how he skates in a program, he's not the type of a skater who can say I skated this way, BUT... I had all these things going on. He may just want to put some distance between his accident and his competitive skate and does not want it to be part of his SKAM story.

Personally, I'd be happy to get a new dance video at any time. :)

Watching Egna and someone (Zhang) just had to skate to Jason's version of Piano while I was typing this. *sigh*

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think Zhenya's illness was only made known during a round of interviews she gave following her SP. I don't believe Jason ever discussed his ankle injury that was present at Golden Spin (or was it TDF) and that was only revealed by a comment later from Tracy. I don't think he commented on his SOI ankle injury that impacted his TCC training until it was mentioned by Brian in an interview, even though everyone knew about it thanks to Karen's IG Story. I know these are minor and didn't really affect his participation or programs and that does make a difference. Desperate for Jason content, I recently rewatched the long Flett interview where Jason commented that he doesn't like to make excuses for how he skates in a program, he's not the type of a skater who can say I skated this way, BUT... I had all these things going on. He may just want to put some distance between his accident and his competitive skate and does not want it to be part of his SKAM story.

Personally, I'd be happy to get a new dance video at any time. :)

Watching Egna and someone (Zhang) just had to skate to Jason's version of Piano while I was typing this. *sigh*

Ha ha well you may want to avoid anything to do with Leonova then - although she’s not scheduled to compete internationally, she’s skating to Riverdance this season and has mentioned Jason. :devil:

Regarding Jason and injury, you’re right about all those things. I’ve probably already said too much on the subject, but I do think the situation here is a bit different. However, I see that IFS did announce his withdrawal and mentioned the car accident and concussion. I never saw this when it was published - it was just on their website, not on Twitter - but maybe they thought it was enough.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
[QUOTE=
@bookseller, nice to see you posting again.

Thanks! I was actually in Boulder for 10 days with only an Ipad and didn't do much typing or internet surfing. I had no vehicle available, so didn't get around much either. And since Jason didn't skate Nebelhorn, I didn't pay as much attention. But I did read everyone's comments and noted that Jason in good form would have won that comp. And of course I was treated to the Mariah Bell short program blackout.

I hope to plan my weekend around Jason's skates at SA and really hope that he's in top form, with or without the quad. A strong, clean skate would be great! I'm back in EDT, so will adjust to the time difference here.

We had our first light frost last night. Fall is here and winter is coming! It's almost like summer never happened.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Programs like this are why I watch figure skating.:luv17:

That ending pose. I’m not crying, you’re crying....

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
the ending out of that spin...!! ugh
everything crossed that Jason is better and able to give 100% to this programme because I think it could be an amazing vehicle for him

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
The final minute of Jason's Schindler's List program filmed by Jordan:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Q8MPVH-7M/

Oh... my... god... another piece of tissue please... and another... I will be in a sobbing mess when I will witness the whole program.
(Oh dear if I could have seen this in Obersdorf... oh... my.. god... another box of tissues please)

That motion scooping up the sand (... ash? ... pieces of broken hearts?) and stretching it out... :sad21::cry::sad4:
His face on close-up, the spin, every nuance of every bit of his body, the ending pose.... this is everything.

Ok, all this gushing aside, this must have been filmed together with the previous pieces we've seen, which were published around the time of accident. Jason reposted it and then went into this silence. I have a feeling that Jordan was instructed to hold any further publication until further notice, and he finally got that further notice. I do think this is a significantly a positive sign, almost a sure sign that Jason is ready for the new season.
I am actually waiting for Jasonbskates resurfacing by reposting this video, and reopen his social net activity!!!