Jason Brown | Page 723 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*whispers* Does it count as a surprise if they already put it on Twitter? :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We all know how gracious Jason is to his fans. :)

You may recall that our friend @MGStyle created a keepsake book for Jason, which she intended to present at Nebelhorn. Well, sadly, that did not happen, and she mailed the book to TCC.

Jason mentioned the book in a video taken by a fan at Skate America :eek: He was not prompted, in fact the fan clearly did not know what the book was, but when she mentioned the Italian Fan Club, he said he brought the book to SA to show his parents, and that it touched his heart:luv17:

The video is on Facebook on the "Forza Jason Brown" page, out of an abundance of caution, I'm not linking it, but....

that's our boy:thumbsup:

Ross74

Medalist

You may recall that our friend @MGStyle created a keepsake book for Jason, which she intended to present at Nebelhorn. Well, sadly, that did not happen, and she mailed the book to TCC.

Jason mentioned the book in a video taken by a fan at Skate America :eek: He was not prompted, in fact the fan clearly did not know what the book was, but when she mentioned the Italian Fan Club, he said he brought the book to SA to show his parents, and that it touched his heart:luv17:

The video is on Facebook on the "Forza Jason Brown" page, out of an abundance of caution, I'm not linking it, but....

Ahhh, super sweet! Thanks for bringing that over! :love:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

Oh now that @el_henry brought it up, I MUST link this... here is the footage! OMG he so made my day!!! :hap93: (I am known as Charlie by many, my pseudonym on Facebook ;) )

oh and here are a few pictures the book... I gathered messages from 49 fans from all over the world :luv17:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2518081894937036&set=g.1349247591809604&type=1&theater&ifg=1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2518082124937013&set=g.1349247591809604&type=1&theater&ifg=1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2518082188270340&set=g.1349247591809604&type=1&theater&ifg=1

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That book looks really great! I'm so glad Jason got it and how sweet he brought it with him to show his parents. It must've left such a great impression. :) Congrats MGStyle. :)

Okay, so yeah -- two back-to-back competitions is something -- hence me not posting much!

Anyway, I wanted to report back. It was really great to see Jason skate again and I'm boggled by how much more he's improved since since I saw him live just a few months earlier at 4CC. His overall skating is more powerful and his jumps looked great even considering he was a bit rusty due to the concussion recovery. One of my favorite things was watching him do stroking and skating exercises at the end of the practices. It's clearly a TCC thing and it was fun to see Jason and Jun at SKAM and then Yuzu and Zhenya at SCI.

Also the other thing, murder face is back! He was focused and serious at practice. He'd sometimes smile when Tracy was talking to him at the boards and giving him encouragement, but otherwise he just had a serious game face. It was SO different from SCI a year when you can tell he was kind of all over the place figuring out how he should interact with Lee and Brian. It was really clear that Tracy was his go-to (her interactions with Jason were SO adorable -- you can tell she just adores him and his skating) and Brian provided additional guidance. But in general, it's clear he now has an established rapport with both of them which was nice to see.

The pop in the SP was unfortunate but he really didn't let that affect the rest of the program. The spilt jump was done right in front of me which was great. The combo looked great, as did the flip. I was surprised at the 83, but I probably shouldn't be. It was a much better program overall than at SCI. The step sequence is SO good. Honestly, it was a high ask to follow LIAB, but this program seems to meet the challenge!

Schindler's List was lovely and wonderful and I was so glad to see it in person. The second axel to the music was SPOT ON and amazing. It's already quite a special program -- you can tell Jason is INVESTED unlike last season's program -- which as he said had great choreography but he didn't quite connect to. The program literally felt like it was a minute long -- that feeling when it's so good time just flies.

ETA: He also got a flower crown! Here's a photo of that: https://twitter.com/kirbyzirby/status/1185713504109522944

The gala program was a lot of fun! He played nice with the illusionist -- i kinda wish we had more skaters instead of that guy, but oh well. :laugh:

The hotel being next to the arena made it ripe to bump into skaters a lot. I got photos with quite a few skaters. And I bumped into Jason a few times around the hotel and then said hello at the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast. He did a Q&A with Nick McCarvel for several minutes. I have the video somewhere, I'll post it when I get a chance.

It's really impressive how he recognizes people -- several of my friends who were there said the same. He has a photographic memory. By FOFS I'm literally was like "it's me again" and he smiled and laughed. Jason is definitely much more mature and more focused now, but he's still the nicest person on earth. He had a LOOOOOONNG line at FOFS so not a ton of time to chat, but he was super gracious!

I also got a photo with Rohene. He is also really fun to talk to. He mentioned that he had actually played the Kaleo song for Jason a few years ago but Jason wasn't super into it then. But then Jason came back to him in the off-season and asked about doing a program to that song. So it's really clear Jason is taking ownership of his programs this season which is so awesome to see. ETA: I also remembered just now that Rohene mentioned that Jason definitely gives much more input in the programs as opposed to before when he just did whatever Rohene asked him to do -- this was mentioned in response to my comments that I felt the last two programs felt like a result of an enhanced collaboration.

And yeah, it's striking how good looking he's become, even more so than last season! These programs (not to mention the costumes, lol) really show that off.

Overall, it was great seeing Jason skate again and I have a good feeling about his prospects this season.

(I'm gonna post in the Zhenya thread soon for those of you who love her... :) )

ETA: Also I know there were other folks at SKAM and i apologize for not touching base! I was splitting my time between SKAM and a family vacation so time was sparse!

Last edited:

babyskate

On the Ice
That book looks really great! I'm so glad Jason got it and how sweet he brought it with him to show his parents. It must've left such a great impression. :) Congrats MGStyle. :)

Okay, so yeah -- two back-to-back competitions is something -- hence me not posting much!

Anyway, I wanted to report back. It was really great to see Jason skate again and I'm boggled by how much more he's improved since since I saw him live just a few months earlier at 4CC. His overall skating is more powerful and his jumps looked great even considering he was a bit rusty due to the concussion recovery. One of my favorite things was watching him do stroking and skating exercises at the end of the practices. It's clearly a TCC thing and it was fun to see Jason and Jun at SKAM and then Yuzu and Zhenya at SCI.

Also the other thing, murder face is back! He was focused and serious at practice. He'd sometimes smile when Tracy was talking to him at the boards and giving him encouragement, but otherwise he just had a serious game face. It was SO different from SCI a year when you can tell he was kind of all over the place figuring out how he should interact with Lee and Brian. It was really clear that Tracy was his go-to (her interactions with Jason were SO adorable -- you can tell she just adores him and his skating) and Brian provided additional guidance. But in general, it's clear he now has an established rapport with both of them which was nice to see.

The pop in the SP was unfortunate but he really didn't let that affect the rest of the program. The spilt jump was done right in front of me which was great. The combo looked great, as did the flip. I was surprised at the 83, but I probably shouldn't be. It was a much better program overall than at SCI. The step sequence is SO good. Honestly, it was a high ask to follow LIAB, but this program seems to meet the challenge!

Schindler's List was lovely and wonderful and I was so glad to see it in person. The second axel to the music was SPOT ON and amazing. It's already quite a special program -- you can tell Jason is INVESTED unlike last season's program -- which as he said had great choreography but he didn't quite connect to. The program literally felt like it was a minute long -- that feeling when it's so good time just flies.

ETA: He also got a flower crown! Here's a photo of that: https://twitter.com/kirbyzirby/status/1185713504109522944

The gala program was a lot of fun! He played nice with the illusionist -- i kinda wish we had more skaters instead of that guy, but oh well. :laugh:

The hotel being next to the arena made it ripe to bump into skaters a lot. I got photos with quite a few skaters. And I bumped into Jason a few times around the hotel and then said hello at the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast. He did a Q&A with Nick McCarvel for several minutes. I have the video somewhere, I'll post it when I get a chance.

It's really impressive how he recognizes people -- several of my friends who were there said the same. He has a photographic memory. By FOFS I'm literally was like "it's me again" and he smiled and laughed. Jason is definitely much more mature and more focused now, but he's still the nicest person on earth. He had a LOOOOOONNG line at FOFS so not a ton of time to chat, but he was super gracious!

I also got a photo with Rohene. He is also really fun to talk to. He mentioned that he had actually played the Kaleo song for Jason a few years ago but Jason wasn't super into it then. But then Jason came back to him in the off-season and asked about doing a program to that song. So it's really clear Jason is taking ownership of his programs this season which is so awesome to see. ETA: I also remembered just now that Rohene mentioned that Jason definitely gives much more input in the programs as opposed to before when he just did whatever Rohene asked him to do -- this was mentioned in response to my comments that I felt the last two programs felt like a result of an enhanced collaboration.

And yeah, it's striking how good looking he's become, even more so than last season! These programs (not to mention the costumes, lol) really show that off.

Overall, it was great seeing Jason skate again and I have a good feeling about his prospects this season.

ETA: Also I know there were other folks at SKAM and i apologize for not touching base! I was splitting my time between SKAM and a family vacation so time was sparse!

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us.
I also appreciate your insight.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
@Mrs. P thank you so much for the in depth report! Some interesting tidbits! That's wonderful that he was emitting the positive vibe on and off the ice :luv17: I already noticed his game face at IdF last year, but it seems that his growing curve has intensified during this past year. Tracy Wilson is definitely his rock, so grateful for her, for a period Jason seemed rather lost with TCC last year.
Oh and about his look... I had feared he would turn into "just another regular dude in the crowd" (looks-wise, of course) when he cut his hair last year, but well, well, well.... seeing his evolution, I couldn't have been more mistaken!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

SO happy to hear from you! I was wondering where you were, knowing that you had been to both comps. I am thrilled that you got to see Jason there. He really is the nicest person on the planet. Also glad to hear that he's focused in practice. I watched him on Gold with a magnifier at the practice the day before the SP and thought he looked great. Was also surprised to see that 3A pop, since he'd been landing them so well.

I love the relationship he has with Tracy. Her comment after SL was so great..."Pretty Good Pretty Good What happened to the loop?" It reminded me of Kori's comment at 2014 Nats after Riverdance "That was pretty good!" I'm sure she was referring to that two footed 3A. Tracy and Jason are an inspired team!

But it was super great to have him win silver and I hope that he skates even better at NHK. So glad you had a good time!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I've just rewatched Jason's SP from Internationaux de France from last year, and despite how incredible that performance was, I can already see massive improvements in his skating - now he looks faster, his skating looks stronger and more powerful, and seems to fill more of the rink. It's really phenomenal how much progress Jason has made since moving to TCC!

Ross74

Medalist
I've just rewatched Jason's SP from Internationaux de France from last year, and despite how incredible that performance was, I can already see massive improvements in his skating - now he looks faster, his skating looks stronger and more powerful, and seems to fill more of the rink. It's really phenomenal how much progress Jason has made since moving to TCC!

Well, now you made me go and watch this when I should be packing for an upcoming trip! :laugh: No problem, I love this performance. The crowd was so appreciative and Brian and Tracy seemed so pleased. I'm not very good at judging what is better now than then, but this performance was such a delight. I'm sure we'll get a clean performance of the new short and I can't wait to see it.

Mrs. P, thanks for the recap! I loved hearing about Rohene's comments on the Kaleo song, and the interactions with Tracy and Brian.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hi everybody - I’ve been super busy at work, so I was so happy to open this thread to find @Mrs. P’s fantastic recap and all of your responses! I absolutely love hearing live reports because impressions are often so different when you’re watching live as opposed to onscreen (and in my case, sneaking peaks on my tiny little iPhone screen at work). :)

It was especially great to hear how much Jason’s basic skating and jumps have improved in less than a year. Like @fzztsimmons and @Ross74, I went back and looked at his 2018 SP in France, and there really is a noticeable difference in power and confidence. His movements are just more decisive, I think. Which makes sense, because a year ago he was still feeling his way with the new technique.

I also wanted to thank @babyskate for sharing her very personal impressions of the FS. I read quite a few comments from people who didn’t like the costume because it had sequins (the horror! :drama:) or thought his interpretation was somehow lacking. While I’m sure his interpretation will deepen as he grows into the program, it was clear that many people in the audience were deeply moved. So I really appreciated hearing from both Mrs. P and babyskate.

I’m also glad to hear that Jason is taking more responsibility for his programs, that he was the one who suggested Kaleo for this year’s SP, and to hear that he’s collaborating more with Rohene now. As an aside, those two Rohene and Jason posters were priceless and I hope they’re preserved for posterity!

Anyway, hoping you’re right, Mrs. P, and that this is a good year for Jason. I’m really looking forward to seeing the growth of both programs at NHK in a few weeks. Can he break the NHK curse? Well, Yuzu did at Skate Canada this year, so fingers crossed that Jason can too! :)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh now that @el_henry brought it up, I MUST link this... here is the footage! OMG he so made my day!!! :hap93: (I am known as Charlie by many, my pseudonym on Facebook ;) )

oh and here are a few pictures the book... I gathered messages from 49 fans from all over the world :luv17:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2518081894937036&set=g.1349247591809604&type=1&theater&ifg=1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2518082124937013&set=g.1349247591809604&type=1&theater&ifg=1
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2518082188270340&set=g.1349247591809604&type=1&theater&ifg=1

Oh, your book is beautiful! What a wonderful idea and a lovely way to show Jason has support all over the world! He sounds like he was really thrilled with it!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know it’s completely OT, but we’re all friends here;)

Congrats @Ross74 to your Nats! that’s doing it the hard way:clap:

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
I know it’s completely OT, but we’re all friends here;)

Congrats @Ross74 to your Nats! that’s doing it the hard way:clap:

Sweeeet! Thank you!!! I'd rather it be the O's, but that's not happening. :laugh: And it's in the same general area, so I'll claim them ;) What a bizarre series! :drama: Congrats to the Nats and to so many of my friends and family who are up late celebrating!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For some reason, my brain has chosen to give me joy this week by imagining how much Jason would enjoy 4CC Sydney...let us hope!

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
I'm not sure if he'll ever have a consistent quad, but he has the potential to get around 100 in the short and 180 + in the long with only triples and no mistakes and great GOE scores. So the GPF is certainly not out of the question.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if he'll ever have a consistent quad, but he has the potential to get around 100 in the short and 180 + in the long with only triples and no mistakes and great GOE scores. So the GPF is certainly not out of the question.

Welcome to the Jason FF, Markin- I like your thinking! I agree with you about his scoring potential and that GPF isn’t out of the question. But I think it’s still a bit too soon to tell if he’ll make it. We’ll know a bit more after this weekend.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Now that the mens at IDF is over, it's interesting to compare Jason & Kevin's scores. As it stands - they're pretty much neck and neck. Both made mistakes in the short - Jason lost 8+ points on his axel, and Kevin fell out of his lutz and missed his combo jump. Jason scored roughly 1 point higher in the short. In terms of the long programme, Kevin scored .5 higher in total score, and his tech was 6 points above Jasons, though Kevin did land all his jumps (even if quads were somewhat messy) and Jason popped his 3L. PCS was biggest difference - Kevin scored about 5 points less on PCS here.

So NHK could be verrrrrry interesting. It will 100% come down to who skates the cleanest I think if they're aiming for that silver medal.