Jason Brown | Page 740 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy New Year (although six hours to go on the USA East Coast):clap:

to all fans of Grant Hochstein’s favorite Jewish Santa:biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
OMG the second picture is so cute!

Interesting that he’s working with Ro so close to nationals. I’m actually really glad because he’s struggled so much (inexplicably, to me) with the SP this season. Perhaps I’m dumb, but I just don’t see what’s so much harder about this SP than the one he did so brilliantly last year- is it the music? The transitions? Expectations? Something else? Whatever it is, here’s hoping his work with Ro is fruitful and we see it clean at Nats!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Interesting that he’s working with Ro so close to nationals. ...

:hopelessness: In hindsight, I think I should have been more precise about what was in Laiken's Instastory.

For those who did not see it: She tagged Rohene, but he was not in the on-ice group photo of Jason with Laiken/Keenan, junior pair Isabelle Martins/Ryan Bedard, and a third pair (who I believe were novices Juliette Reed/Jordan Gillette).

It was my extrapolation that the reason why Laiken tagged Rohene was that he currently was working with Jason (although again, Rohene was not in her photo). Only my extrapolation, so I do not want to claim to be certain.

(Laiken did not give a locator, but I feel sure that her photo was at Fox Valley Ice Arena [where I previously have attended a comp]. It is the home rink for Laiken/Keenan and Isabelle/Ryan.
I do see from Ross74's post that Jason has moved on to Willowbrook Ice Arena. :))

Tavi...

Record Breaker
:hopelessness: In hindsight, I think I should have been more precise about what was in Laiken's Instastory.

For those who did not see it: She tagged Rohene, but he was not in the on-ice group photo of Jason with Laiken/Keenan, junior pair Isabelle Martins/Ryan Bedard, and a third pair (who I believe were novices Juliette Reed/Jordan Gillette).

It was my extrapolation that the reason why Laiken tagged Rohene was that he currently was working with Jason (although again, Rohene was not in her photo). Only my extrapolation, so I do not want to claim to be certain.

(Laiken did not give a locator, but I feel sure that her photo was at Fox Valley Ice Arena [where I previously have attended a comp]. It is the home rink for Laiken/Keenan and Isabelle/Ryan.
I do see from Ross74's post that Jason has moved on to Willowbrook Ice Arena. :))

I think your guess was a pretty good one, though. Nats is just a few weeks off, and Highland Park, where his family lives, is pretty far from both rinks (40-50 miles). I’d be surprised if he were in Chicago/ hanging out at one of those rinks unless it was training related. I suppose he could be doing something charitable, but he usually posts about that stuff, and anyway I would think he’d avoid it during the run up to Nats.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OMG the second picture is so cute!

Interesting that he’s working with Ro so close to nationals. I’m actually really glad because he’s struggled so much (inexplicably, to me) with the SP this season. Perhaps I’m dumb, but I just don’t see what’s so much harder about this SP than the one he did so brilliantly last year- is it the music? The transitions? Expectations? Something else? Whatever it is, here’s hoping his work with Ro is fruitful and we see it clean at Nats!

That was my thought also. He and Ro can work out the kinks. The potential for good scores on both his programs this year is high even without quads. Maybe not international podium high, but high. National podium high. He needs to nail them. And he can! This year's music is harder to skate to, so I get that. But Jason should be able to handle that. Excited to see what it looks like at Nats!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think your guess was a pretty good one, though. Nats is just a few weeks off, and Highland Park, where his family lives, is pretty far from both rinks (40-50 miles). I’d be surprised if he were in Chicago/ hanging out at one of those rinks unless it was training related. I suppose he could be doing something charitable, but he usually posts about that stuff, and anyway I would think he’d avoid it during the run up to Nats.

Jason working in the Chicago area makes sense. He was just with his family out west. He probably traveled back with them. Brian is in Korea with Jun, don't know where Tracy is. David has been in Spain, so working with Ro in Chicago seems totally reasonable. Tracy will probably do Nats with Jason, so my guess is that he'll be back in Toronto soon and working hard to get ready for Nats and then travel to Greensboro with Tracy. Nats podium is really in play this year with Vince being in unknown condition and Camden nipping at their heels. And both Camden and Tomoki have laid down some strong SPs this year. So Jason wants to come in with a short program roar.

Ross74

Medalist
Jason working in the Chicago area makes sense. He was just with his family out west. He probably traveled back with them. Brian is in Korea with Jun, don't know where Tracy is. David has been in Spain, so working with Ro in Chicago seems totally reasonable. Tracy will probably do Nats with Jason, so my guess is that he'll be back in Toronto soon and working hard to get ready for Nats and then travel to Greensboro with Tracy. Nats podium is really in play this year with Vince being in unknown condition and Camden nipping at their heels. And both Camden and Tomoki have laid down some strong SPs this year. So Jason wants to come in with a short program roar.

Interesting that Brian wasn't with Jun in Korea. It was Ghislain again. I thought Jason looked very nice in the pictures from Willowbrook. Not his usual training garb.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I’m actually really glad because he’s struggled so much (inexplicably, to me) with the SP this season. Perhaps I’m dumb, but I just don’t see what’s so much harder about this SP than the one he did so brilliantly last year- is it the music? The transitions? Expectations? Something else?

The fact that he had what sounds like a pretty serious concussion before the season started?

I am looking forward to Nationals. It will be a good distraction.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Interesting that Brian wasn't with Jun in Korea. It was Ghislain again. I thought Jason looked very nice in the pictures from Willowbrook. Not his usual training garb.

I actually assumed that Brian was with Jun because usually the contracts with skating feds demand it, but I was wrong.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The fact that he had what sounds like a pretty serious concussion before the season started?

I am looking forward to Nationals. It will be a good distraction.

I am so sorry that the bushfires are still raging and that Australia still suffers. I can’t imagine what it must be like for you all right now and hope the fires are brought under control soon.

Regarding Jason, I did think about the concussion. But given he’s doing generally better in the FS and is even attempting a 4T now, it’s a bit perplexing that he’d struggle in the SP. I know very little about how concussion works, though.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am so sorry that the bushfires are still raging and that Australia still suffers. I can’t imagine what it must be like for you all right now and hope the fires are brought under control soon.

Regarding Jason, I did think about the concussion. But given he’s doing generally better in the FS and is even attempting a 4T now, it’s a bit perplexing that he’d struggle in the SP. I know very little about how concussion works, though.

It's probably not any one thing. Jason did lose a lot of training time after the concussion. That undoubtedly had long term impact. The emotional issues connected with concussion are more complicated and may be impacting his mental preparation for competitions. The short program music is very different than Love is a B***h. That had a very regular beat and emphasis that Jason excelled at connecting with. This year's music is very different and changes quite a lot in tempo, rhythm and emphasis, which is challenging in a short program, I think. I also wonder if he is able to compartmentalize his two programs as successfully as last year. He certainly has a better connection to SL than he did to S&G, but not sure he's as committed to Can't go on as he was to Love is. That short program last year was genius collaboration. It enhanced all of Jason's skills. I like the music this year, but I'm not finding it as compelling as Love is a Bi*** was for him last year. And there are probably other issues that we have no idea about. We'll see how it plays out at Nats. He's fighting for World's Team, so he has motivation, but also pressure. For me, it's a double issue. I want Jason to make it to World's because he wants to. But I also want him to make it because I'm going to be there and want to see him skate. I really hope he makes it! I believe that if he skates clean, he will be named to the team.

Ross74

Medalist
Another picture of Jason from Willowbrook last weekend. This time with Rohene. I like that Rohene is wearing his 7K vest. :) https://www.instagram.com/p/B7NFBMcpxp8/ If Mary Beth Marley decides to return to skating in a new discipline, she could be Jason's dance partner. She's tiny! :laugh:

In reference to the above comparisons of this and last year's short programs, one difference is that Jason got his sp last year in March. So he had it for three months longer, and that was three months to focus only on the short. He still had to re-learn jumps according to TCC technique, not a small matter, but it may have been enough to make him more comfortable with the program.

Two weeks from yesterday until Nats short program!!!

:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
what a good looking trio;) I would love to see Ro at Nats too, no disrespect to Brian, but can you imagine Rohene and Tracy in the KnC together? They could have a scarf contest:biggrin:

And sorry about the Ravens, @Ross74:sad21:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Another picture of Jason from Willowbrook last weekend. This time with Rohene. I like that Rohene is wearing his 7K vest. :) https://www.instagram.com/p/B7NFBMcpxp8/ If Mary Beth Marley decides to return to skating in a new discipline, she could be Jason's dance partner. She's tiny! :laugh:

In reference to the above comparisons of this and last year's short programs, one difference is that Jason got his sp last year in March. So he had it for three months longer, and that was three months to focus only on the short. He still had to re-learn jumps according to TCC technique, not a small matter, but it may have been enough to make him more comfortable with the program.

Two weeks from yesterday until Nats short program!!!

:

Just curious: what makes you think it was from last weekend? Are there pictures of him elsewhere more recently?