JGP Riga Cup Men FS Aug 29 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

JGP Riga Cup Men FS Aug 29

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Dmitry went for a very ambitious jump layout, so if the choreo was not the most complex, fair enough. I thought Alexei's program looked emptier than his, though. Dmitry just turned 16, so if you expect him to be perfect in every area and still land all those jumps, it's unlikely to happen. But as I said, his programs last season show that he can be very expressive. I think with time, they'll find a way to balance the tech and performance (but I'm more concerned about his consistency for now). Deniss is brilliant, no question, but he doesn't have all the jumps yet. Two different strategies for two skaters with different strengths. I think they're both incredibly talented.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
yes, I agree with gallavich. this is nonsense--they focuse on jumps, but the programs aren't empty. Dmitri's program is good and you don't forget Dennis's coach is Urmanov, so he learns in Russian school too. Maybe they have no so much TRs as Javi's or Patrick's -sometimes that is annoying you have no time to watch and enjoy the elements- but enough.

---

I enjoyed Vasilyevs most, but I have a weird feeling. Sometimes he is very feminine. Maybe his costume, and movements together..I don't know..I also adore his movement befor the jumps..Very interesting and charming..:love:

But, tbh, both sides are being very dogmatic in this argument. Yes, saying programmes are empty is a strong opinion, but so is what you said- that more transitions are annoying and you have no time to watch the elements. Why not rather just accept that both sides obviously have different tastes and just let all concerned express those politely and agree to disagree?

What weird feeling? Feminine? The sooner skating gets rid of attitudes towards gender norms the better, IMO.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree, Gallavich. Alexei bored me more! Lol I'd have put Kevin above him. But as I was rightly shown, that would have probably been unfair as his TES was much lower.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So what does everyone do during zamboni? I'm playing bingo & reading the #trumpbible tag on Twitter.

Well yesterday, during the Ladies FS, during the first ice resurfacing, I took a shower and washed my hair cause I had to get ready for an event me and my team participated in last night. And during the 2nd one, I synced my pics to my desktop.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since Deniss is now age-eligible for senior ISU championships, does anyone think he possibly might compete at Euros and/or senior Worlds this season?

catchie

On the Ice
Since Deniss is now age-eligible for senior ISU championships, does anyone think he possibly might compete at Euros and/or senior Worlds this season?

Yes, he has stated that he might go to the Europeans and Senior worlds.

By the way, there are also Youth Olympics happening this season. Aren't those somewhere around the Europeans?

adelia

Record Breaker

By the way, there are also Youth Olympics happening this season. Aren't those somewhere around the Europeans?
They don't clash. Euros first in Jan then YOG in Feb.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

There are ten days between the end of Euros & the start of the YOG.

TMC

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Vasilyevs most, but I have a weird feeling. Sometimes he is very feminine. Maybe his costume, and movements together..I don't know..I also adore his movement befor the jumps..Very interesting and charming..:love:

Interesting....I was watching this today with my husband as he was doing his thing in the same room...I practically forced him to watch Deniss with me (because it's Deniss after all), and his two comments were 1) some mistakes but overall good, and 2) his movements appear very masculine compared to the others I've seen (read: you've forced me to watch). Just before he said this I thought to myself that there was definitely something a bit more, say, manly about his style this season.

And this is not to say, by any means, that feminine=inferior. Just the impression we both happened to get.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Well deserved win from Dmitriy. Implementing such a jump layout clearly differentiated him from the rest of the pack. At the same time he is not just a jump machine like Boyan. I did not understand his music choice - too hysterical imo - and a pause in the middle was awkward. Other than that quite solid. Deniss had a nice choreo and good skating skills - his skating was the most mature of all. I would not necessarily name it feminine. I would rather say "American style": Joshua Farris, Jason... Petr shows good promises. If he manages to build big jumps he is going to be the future of Russian men's FS.

oleada

Record Breaker
I am a little surprised by some of the comments here. Dmitri is not Deniss in terms of presentation and musicality, but...few men, even most seniors, are. Dmitri does have good skating skills, seemingly good speed and flow, as well as good lines. And he landed much more difficult jump content. I hope Deniss can get the jumps because he is the whole package.

Speaking of the whole package....Petr Gummenik is such a talent! Once he gets bigger and stronger and has the big jumps...watch out!

gmyers

Record Breaker
This one arm over the head jumps looks totally awfull. Some jumps with both arms over the head looks cool, but with one arm is just awfull, awfull :disapp:

Nice job by Aliev, but program is empty sadly as in all Russian men programs. I wonder when they are going to workout that to make succees in seniors they need both jumps and presentation :think:

When the number one Russian man is kovtun and there is no presentation or choreo or anything you are right to wonder about what is the key to becoming russian number one now! But Russia was desperate for a new man and found someone willing to do quad salchow and quad toe and try to break through based purely on jumps. It's a very Chinese strategy but lots do care about choreo and presentation its just kovtun has none and he's the leader.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am a little surprised by some of the comments here. Dmitri is not Deniss in terms of presentation and musicality, but...few men, even most seniors, are. Dmitri does have good skating skills, seemingly good speed and flow, as well as good lines. And he landed much more difficult jump content. I hope Deniss can get the jumps because he is the whole package.

Speaking of the whole package....Petr Gummenik is such a talent! Once he gets bigger and stronger and has the big jumps...watch out!

Thank you. I have said more than enough in defense of Dmitri, but I just have to add, I think he was 100% concentrated on landing his jumps in the FS after he botched the SP, and wasn't as committed to the performance as he usually is. Deniss is going to be a huge star and he's almost unmatchable as a performer. However, Dmitri can also perform much better than he did in Riga. Anyone who thinks he is just another Kovtun is simply wrong. I hope we'll see a better version of these programs as the season goes on.

And Petr is adorable!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Thank you. I have said more than enough in defense of Dmitri, but I just have to add, I think he was 100% concentrated on landing his jumps in the FS after he botched the SP, and wasn't as committed to the performance as he usually is. Deniss is going to be a huge star and he's almost unmatchable as a performer. However, Dmitri can also perform much better than he did in Riga. Anyone who thinks he is just another Kovtun is simply wrong. I hope we'll see a better version of these programs as the season goes on.

And Petr is adorable!

I didn't said he is another Kovtun :p I think he has potential and I hope they will be working with him on presentation too because he has nice jumps already

gmyers

Record Breaker
Aliev must be sent to Lori nichol or David Wilson and be coached by orser or someone like him.