John Curry | Page 2 | Golden Skate

John Curry

tdnuva

On the Ice
Back to the original point....

I would second that doing spins at least in both directions should be encouraged. Jumping might be a different thing but I am no skater myself.

Going one step further - it seems to me that more and more skaters today do even smaller turns mainly in ONE direction than in both. Many step sequences (single skating) I have to watch these days might be fast, might be using different steps, but they often turn only in one direction. Which I think takes away a lot of fun and creativity. Maybe we also have to blame the disappearance of figures for that....

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
In ballet, a dancer MUST do everything to both the left and right, and I think that was why Curry demanded his corps de patinage had to spin in both directions. Choreographers don't want to create according to one personality.

Curry was the most unique individual skater ever. I don't want to hear about quads.

Joe

I heartily agree that John Curry was one of the finest figure skaters of all time. He definitely belongs in the ranks of "legends of the sport". His 1976 Olympic gold medal long program was a masterpiece of choreography, spins, jumps, footwork, and musical expression. IMHO, it doesn't get much better than that kind of skating - the whole package.

Thanks for the memories, John. We miss you! :cry:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
tdnuva said:
Back to the original point....

I would second that doing spins at least in both directions should be encouraged. Jumping might be a different thing but I am no skater myself.

Janet Lynn did everything up to the double axel in both directions.