John Zimmerman given two-year suspension by US Center for SafeSport | Golden Skate

John Zimmerman given two-year suspension by US Center for SafeSport

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Christine Brennan has reported that John Zimmerman has been suspended for two years, with a following one-year probationary period, by the US Center for SafeSport for his actions following Morgan Cipres's sexual misconduct towards a thirteen-year-old girl: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ter-accusation-sex-abuse-cover-up/4635608001/

Silvia Fontana and Vinny Dispenza, the other coaches implicated in the cover-up, have received six-month probations.

Zimmerman's suspension is not currently listed on the SafeSport website because he has the right to appeal the suspension; however, this is not a temporary or interim measure. It means that the Center has determined liability and decided on a penalty.

ETA: I should point out that this doesn't affect Zimmerman's coaching or his ability to attend non-USFS-sanctioned competitions with non-US skaters, but he cannot be present at USFS events including Nationals.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
2 years and 1 year probation. 6 months probation for the other two. Disgustingly low, not at all a deterrent - it should have been life bans for all three.

Cipres is covering himself in glory as usual - he posted a picture on his instagram which says "If I go to hell at least I'll be with all my friends." Stay classy, abuser!

(Can't wait to see what our resident abuse apologists, who were accusing Brennan of making it up, have to say now...)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well I'm glad to see there's been some consequences for this, although it does seem a pretty small consequence. Being an accessory after the fact is an actual crime that can result in actual jail time, so you know.

I hope the victim involved can find some closure with this and she's getting a lot of support.

Cipres's reaction is disgusting though, I could almost ALMOST buy that he didn't think it'd be such a big deal when he did it, but after everything that's happened not to have the least bit of insight or remorse? That makes him a threat should he actually work with kids, so I really, really hope he doesn't.

They always talk about having workshops and stuff to teach people about this stuff, which is so weird...like, why do people not see this sort of behaviour as wrong to begin with? It's really baffling.

mrrice

Record Breaker
A slap on the wrist for disgusting CRIMINAL behavior. wtf. It will be interesting to see who decides to stay with them now...
Yes it will. I'm not sure exactly what John did? I guess I should be asking what he "Didn't" do. Didn't he fail to report abuse? For me, they need someone looking over their shoulder if they are ever back in a rink.

Last edited:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes it will. I'm not sure exactly what John did? I guess I should be asking what he "Didn't" do. Didn't he fail to report abuse? For me, this is looking over their shoulder if they ever back in a rink.
The offenses are listed in Brennan's article as 'abuse of process, emotional misconduct, failure to report', which I take to be referring to the intimidation of the skater intended to prevent her from reporting (emotional misconduct) and the failure to fulfil his obligations as a mandatory reporter (failure to report). I'm not clear on what 'abuse of process' refers to.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They always talk about having workshops and stuff to teach people about this stuff, which is so weird...like, why do people not see this sort of behaviour as wrong to begin with? It's really baffling.
USFSA is terrible at this.

In addition to your spot-on comments about how people could not see some behaviors as inherently wrong... it's really NOT that difficult to put forth a proper training program to clear up any ambiguities.

For instance, I coached a small high school golf team. I had six athletes under my supervision. I was acutely aware of my responsibilities. I was even required to carry a notebook outlining how to handle potential situations so I'd have it handy as a reference if I ever needed it - and one page of that manual involved instances in which I was required to contact law enforcement immediately - other reporting responsibilites could be sorted afterwards, but the main priority was to provide immediate protection to any legal minor under my supervision, with the mindset of "better safe than sorry." Every coach of every sport at the school had a similar notebook.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was inspired to do some research about what SafeSport says about the allegations. I know nothing beyond what reading these documents says.

First, the SafeSport document itself uses those terms with regard to Zimmerman's suspension

all of those terms are defined by SafeSport in its "Code for the US Olympic and Paralympic Movement".

Emotional abuse and failure to report are what one might think.

Abuse of process is essentially cover-up or interfering with someone else's participation in the SafeSport process:
"Direct or indirect abuse of or interference with Office proceedings by: (a) falsifying, distorting or misrepresenting information; (b) destroying or concealing information prior to or during an investigation; (c) attempting to discourage an individual’s proper participation in or use of, the Office’s processes; (d) harassing or intimidating (verbally or physically) any person involved in the Office’s processes before, during and/or following proceedings (including up to and through arbitration);....."

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
From the article.
"The girl and her parents allege that Zimmerman and Fontana intimidated the girl for several weeks, telling her that she was at fault for receiving the pictures because she was a “pretty girl and men have their needs,” that no one would believe her and that she would be shamed on social media, particularly in France, where Cipres was popular.

The girl and her parents allege that Vinny Dispenza, another coach who works with Zimmerman and Fontana, initiated the incident by telling the girl and another underage female skater to message Cipres asking him to send the photos to the girls in exchange for the promise of a pizza from Dispenza."
I have to go take a shower now.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The offenses are listed in Brennan's article as 'abuse of process, emotional misconduct, failure to report', which I take to be referring to the intimidation of the skater intended to prevent her from reporting (emotional misconduct) and the failure to fulfil his obligations as a mandatory reporter (failure to report). I'm not clear on what 'abuse of process' refers to.
What's especially sad about this for me is that the coaching contract that I sign, which is basically the same contract that all the coaches in every sport sign, had a HUGE Chapter on reporting abuse. That goes for parents, other coaches, and even abuse among the students. I wonder if these skaters have mandatory coaches training? We certainly did, it also contained CPR and First Aid.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
People are acting like this may be a mistake or a lack of judgement, but this was deliberate.

It doesn't matter what he handbook says to an extent - this never should have happened. This was clearly something very wrong to do, and even if John Zimmerman didn't follow the handbook word for word there were a hundred other ways to deal with it.

I'd call it an accidental mistake if he contacted safesport instead of the legal authorities.
I don't call it a mistake when he harassed the girl. That was a deliberate malicious act. Nobody in their right mind would think this is the right thing to do.

mrrice

Record Breaker
People are acting like this may be a mistake or a lack of judgement, but this was deliberate.

It doesn't matter what he handbook says to an extent - this never should have happened. This was clearly something very wrong to do, and even if John Zimmerman didn't follow the handbook word for word there were a hundred other ways to deal with it.

I'd call it an accidental mistake if he contacted safesport instead of the legal authorities.
I don't call it a mistake when he harassed the girl. That was a deliberate malicious act. Nobody in their right mind would think this is the right thing to do.
This is another problem when it comes to enforcing the rules. It truly seems like this problem has become systemic and coaches seem to have no fear of getting into troublle. I've worked with coaches that were teaching on Wednesday and I literally Never Saw Them Again. There was a definte fear for us to step outside the boundries of our rulebook.

The handbook was also there for the district to back itself up if a Coach had a dispute with being fired. They hand the coach a copy of the contract they signed and it's game over for the coach.

Last edited:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
From the article.
"The girl and her parents allege that Zimmerman and Fontana intimidated the girl for several weeks, telling her that she was at fault for receiving the pictures because she was a “pretty girl and men have their needs,” that no one would believe her and that she would be shamed on social media, particularly in France, where Cipres was popular.

The girl and her parents allege that Vinny Dispenza, another coach who works with Zimmerman and Fontana, initiated the incident by telling the girl and another underage female skater to message Cipres asking him to send the photos to the girls in exchange for the promise of a pizza from Dispenza."
I have to go take a shower now.
I am French and I can tell you I fully support her. At first I didn't know Morgan Ciprès knew it was her and her age and I wished to believe he sent blindly something he believed to be funny to an unknown admirer without imagining she could be underage. Very thoughtless but not criminal. But when I learnt he knew her age, really, how can anyone, French or not, support such behaviour? At first too, I felt so sorry for Vanessa James who would have to seek another partner at an age when it is quite difficult, but now I understand she knew everything and didn't report either, and even continued skating with him during a whole season so really...
The worse being that Vinny Dispenser who asked the girls to ask for those photos. Are the criminal investigations keen enough upon him? His request may constitute an initial step in a grooming scheme, and he got only 6 months probational suspension! I don't know which of the three other may have been in such a scheme and which may "just" have reacted more than inappropriately, but he would clearly be in it and he won't be prevented from coaching children!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am still stunned by this story. The number of lives affected is scary. I still can't believe Morgan hasn't tried to do more damage control. Some of his posts certainly don't help his persona or reputation. But I guess maybe he feels he has done nothing wrong.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But I guess maybe he feels he has done nothing wrong.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't, which is seriously messed up.

And pretty scary too. Like how are teenagers and their parents supposed to have confidence in pursuing figure skating if people in it don't even seem to know right from wrong? :(

It's sad...and goes to show that education about this needs to be thorough and start early.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is a really difficult situation. Either John and Sylvia are blind to what they've done or, they're being falsely accused. Will there be some sort of hearing where both sides are presented?

Last edited: