John Zimmerman given two-year suspension by US Center for SafeSport | Page 2 | Golden Skate

John Zimmerman given two-year suspension by US Center for SafeSport

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is really difficult situation. Either John and Sylvia are blind to what they've done or, they're being falsy accused. Will there be some sort of hearing where both sides are presented?

The Safesport Code can be found here

and the procedures for appeal are found starting on page 8. Zimmerman has asked for an appeal and has a right to a hearing before an arbitrator. The parties have the right to present evidence. This is based on a very quick review and you may want to look further if you want more details. :) I only know what is in this document.

And to answer questions you have had before, Mr Rice, USFS has a SafeSport Handbook, and the handbook requires pretty much anyone in a position of authority (including not just coaches, but chaperones, "lead volunteers", and others) to complete SafeSport training and comply with SafeSport guidelines: (p. 12 for covered individuals)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a really difficult situation. Either John and Sylvia are blind to what they've done or, they're being falsely accused. Will there be some sort of hearing where both sides are presented?
I have some questions, too, about Zimmerman's involvement.

I'm trying to sort it out in my mind. If he was aware that the incident might have occurred (or even had certain knowledge) and the girl either denied it or did not want to report it... what responsibility did he have? I'm not excusing anything... so let's please not get going with accusing me on that track... but would he have to report it then? I genuinely don't know because things aren't always cut and dried in sexual abuse situations where the victim does not want to pursue things.

As for intimidating the girl and her parents... there is no excuse for that. I don't know what documentary evidence exists. But a contemporary account provided in the email from the tutor would be damning if this article is accurate because it would no longer be a case of "he said - she said."

As for denying knowledge to USA Today reporters? That's meaningless in a criminal matter. It is not a crime to lie to a news reporter, so that's a frivilous aside needlessly thrown in the article.

As for the guy who exploited a child to gain naked pictures of a grown man in exchange for a pizza... I simply cannot wrap my wits around that. Nor can I understand how a six-month suspension even approaches a just penalty, unless evidnce was insufficient to prove this beyond doubt.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
what responsibility did he have? I'm not excusing anything... so let's please not get going with accusing me on that track... but would he have to report it then?
Not sure about USA but I believe in Australia when it comes to child abuse you have you report it if you suspect it, no matter what the victim says.

Now this wouldn't prevent the child from denying or not wanting the case pursued to child Services when they start investigating but you would have done the right thing. It's like the minimum duty of care.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure about USA but I believe in Australia when it comes to child abuse you have you report it if you suspect it, no matter what the victim says.

Now this wouldn't prevent the child from denying or not wanting the case pursued to child Services when they start investigating but you would have done the right thing. It's like the minimum duty of care.
This makes perfect sense.

I dug up my coaching notebook that I mentioned in an earlier post, and my instructions mirror what you're saying.

I was required to contact law enforcement immediately if I had reasonable cause to suspect something like that happening to one of my athletes while under my supervision. If I suspected a student was being victimized outside of my supervision (at home, or by a boyfriend, etc.) I was required to report it to my principal and the school guidance counselor. Like I said, the mindset was "better safe than sorry."

I was very lucky. I had a small team, and they treated each other kindly.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm trying to sort it out in my mind. If he was aware that the incident might have occurred (or even had certain knowledge) and the girl either denied it or did not want to report it... what responsibility did he have? I'm not excusing anything... so let's please not get going with accusing me on that track... but would he have to report it then? I genuinely don't know because things aren't always cut and dried in sexual abuse situations where the victim does not want to pursue things.

As for intimidating the girl and her parents... there is no excuse for that. I don't know what documentary evidence exists. But a contemporary account provided in the email from the tutor would be damning if this article is accurate because it would no longer be a case of "he said - she said."

As for denying knowledge to USA Today reporters? That's meaningless in a criminal matter. It is not a crime to lie to a news reporter, so that's a frivilous aside needlessly thrown in the article.

As for the guy who exploited a child to gain naked pictures of a grown man in exchange for a pizza... I simply cannot wrap my wits around that. Nor can I understand how a six-month suspension even approaches a just penalty, unless evidnce was insufficient to prove this beyond doubt.

According to the USFS Safe Sport handbook, participants are required to report suspected child abuse and/or sexual misconduct to the U.S. Center for SafeSport (or to U.S. Figure Skating) and local law enforcement.
A quick glance through the booklet does not identify "participants", but I can't imagine a situation in which a coach at a rink is not a participant. When Zimmerman learned of misconduct at the rink, he would have been required to report it.

I don't know Florida law. Pennsylvania has a very broad mandatory reporting law (which I personally refer to as the Jerry Sandusky law, because that's exactly why it was passed). Zimmerman (and all other coaches at the rink) would be a mandatory reporter in Pennsylvania, and sending these photos to a minor would be an event subject to mandatory reporting.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I'm trying to sort it out in my mind. If he was aware that the incident might have occurred (or even had certain knowledge) and the girl either denied it or did not want to report it... what responsibility did he have?
She didn't want to report it because Zimmerman threatened her.

The timeline is Cipres sends dick pic > Zimmerman finds out > Zimmerman and Fontana threaten, abuse and intimidate the girl into not reporting.

Zimmerman's responsibility was to report it. Regardless of if the girl wanted to. Instead, as soon as he found out about this incredibly abhorrent thing Cipres had done, his action was to bully the victim remorselessly to make sure she didn't tell anybody so that Cipres' Olympic ambitions weren't ruined. It's disgusting.

mrrice, Safesport would have seen "both sides". Don't "both sides" this. Zimmerman had a responsibility to report. He chose to attack the victim instead and cover up.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
According to the USFS Safe Sport handbook, participants are required to report suspected child abuse and/or sexual misconduct to the U.S. Center for SafeSport (or to U.S. Figure Skating) and local law enforcement.
A quick glance through the booklet does not identify "participants"...

The online version of the USFS Safe Sport Program Handbook starts with a list of definitions.
The definition for "participant" is on p. 3:

PARTICIPANT
Any individual who is seeking to be, currently is, or was at the time of the alleged Misconduct:
a) A Member of U.S. Figure Skating;
b) An employee of U.S. Figure Skating;
c) Within the governance or disciplinary jurisdiction of U.S. Figure Skating;
d) Authorized, approved, or appointed by U.S. Figure Skating to have regular contact with Minor Athletes; and/or
e) Identified by U.S. Figure Skating as being within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Center for SafeSport.

(I realize that there could be more than one USFS SafeSport publication -- with your booklet being a different one.)

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I am hopeful that other parents will take note of this and keep their children out of this training team as they obviously do not understand what the proper conduct is when abuse is reported to you.

It is astonishing to me how many adults failed to nurture and protect this young person.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
She didn't want to report it because Zimmerman threatened her.

The timeline is Cipres sends dick pic > Zimmerman finds out > Zimmerman and Fontana threaten, abuse and intimidate the girl into not reporting.
This is the point. The sending of dick pics is pretty disgusting in itself (I got sent them quite a few times on social media, and I'm not 13, so I can handle this) and Cipres is rightfully seen as an abuser because of this, but this threatening of a little girl is even worse in my view. 'Men have their needs'. 'You'll never skate again'. Cipres didn't think that up, it was Zimmerman. Come on. I won't judge on the abusing bit, but threatening and intimidating a girl of 13 is bad. Really bad. While reporting would have been so easy. Not even mentioning the disgusting acts of the Vinny guy.