Kazuki Tomono | Page 84 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
My Japanese is way, waaaay to mediocre to try to understand all the Kansaiben, wish Tsurara-san wasn't so busy :sad4:

About the tap dancing bit, it just says he seriously considered joining the tap dancing club too because he was fascinated with it

KiraraChin

Medalist
My Japanese is way, waaaay to mediocre to try to understand all the Kansaiben, wish Tsurara-san wasn't so busy :sad4:

About the tap dancing bit, it just says he seriously considered joining the tap dancing club too because he was fascinated with it

Thanks, Ichat! Ooh can you imagine Kazuki tap dancing? It would be so cool, I hope he gets to do it some day :luv17:

I can imagine that translating Kansai-ben is very difficult for those who aren't native, so no need to apologise! It's a shame Tsurara is so busy lately, I hope she comes back... :cry:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Spot Kazuki! https://twitter.com/Doshisha_t_h/status/1251109615057514496
It's funny how the girls in the front row had to bend down so he can appear in the back :laugh:

He's been posting some IG stories about films, first was an Indian one, then a Korean one (with a lot of crying emojis). Nice to know he's managing to keep himself entertained!

It seems he also tried to post a story/start a IG live but there was a problem with his connection. Hope he does it again...

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm blind but I cannot see Kazuki in the group photo? :laugh:
Yes, I hope his instastories work! Bless Kazuki for being so active ^ ^

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The new WS are really, really weird, I must say... But I think he'll get two GP spots, on the condition that GPs go as usual :drama:

And :laugh2: at Kazuki's insta story, it says "My handwriting is bad, so I thought I should [practice] while I have time, I'd always thought of doing it". As a person with terrible handwriting who is not doing much about it, all my kudos to him

KiraraChin

Medalist
And :laugh2: at Kazuki's insta story, it says "My handwriting is bad, so I thought I should [practice] while I have time, I'd always thought of doing it". As a person with terrible handwriting who is not doing much about it, all my kudos to him
Thanks for the translation! :luv17: I can't tell if his handwriting is really that bad, but definitely kudos to him for trying to improve!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of Vol 1 of the interview with 3 skaters who are graduates of Naniwa High School
Many thanks to Kirara for the link.
http://kanspo.jp/2020/03/29/須本・渡邊・友野のnaniwa-talk vol-1/

Interview with Kansai University team captain Junya Watanabe (graduated in 2019 academic year), ace skater Kazuki Tomono (3rd year, Sports Dept. of Doshisha University) and freshman of Kansai University Mitsuki Sumoto (1st year, Policy Management).

J= Junya Watanabe, K=Kazuki Tomono, & M=Mitsuki Sumoto

--This time the interview is with those of you who went to Naniwa High School. Let’s begin!
First off, you get along well, don’t you?
K: Since Rinkai days, we have spent time together since we were little. I’ve been to competitions and Mitsuki and Jynya have been doing the same…We have been together since we were little kids (laughs).
J: We practically grew up together.
K: We’ve known each other since we were runny-nosed brats. (t/n: a kid having a constantly runny nose means he is too young to care about his hygiene or to blow his nose.)
J: We’ve spent time together since we were around 3rd or 4th grade in elementary school or the first novice year…Mitsuki was much younger, I guess.
--Did you go to the same high school by coincidence?
K: From Rinkai going to Naniwa was the normal course.
J: For me, I chose Naniwa because it had a skating team which would be more accommodating. Next year Kazuki came…
--What kind of school was it?
J: It had sooo many students.
J: There were so many extracurricular activities and some were very strong.
J: (laughs) just…so many students.
K: Ginormous private school. Also, it is the only Shintoism school that has a shrine.
M: It has a shrine!
K: The school explained to the students what kind of ceremony was being done. We learned Japanese traditions.
M: I heard that the torii gate move to Naniwa after they had stopped using it at Ise.
J: Huh? Is that right!? (laughs)
K: They taught us Japanese traditional religions and it was good for us to know these things.
M: I learned how to pray at a shrine.
J: Right, we are super good at a shrine visit for the New Year (laughs).
K: We are perfectly mannered (laughs)
J: You bow 2 times and clap 2 times. That’s the formal way.
K: That’s all, I guess (laughs). Other than that it’s an ordinary private school (laughs).
--Were there many skating team members?
K: I guess so. We were part of golden generation? (laughs)
J: You were the one who used to say that (laughs). We won the Inter-High School Championships for the first time. Mitsuki won too?
M: Yes I did.
K: It was a super duper easy win (laughs). We were invincible (laughs). Our generation was full of energy but I don’t know how they are now because I’m not very much in contact with them. I only know Mitsuki’s generation (laughs). We were the largest generation.
J: Everybody knew each other and things were easy. Now I don’t really know them because of the big age gap (laughs).
K: We all practiced at Rinkai and we had fun.
--Do you have any special memories from your high school days?
M: Winning the Inter High.
J: First place, huh.
K: Also…the crappy training behind the school building (laughs).
M: I know what you mean (laughs).
J: Since we did an individual sport we didn’t get to train all together, and we wanted to give it a try.
K: We go like “let’s train like regular school sports players.” (laughs)
M: We were doing that at the back of the gym (laughs).
K: We tried several times after school at the back of the school building, but no one lasted and it fizzled (laughs).
J: But it was fun (laugh).
K&M: We had fun (laughs).
K: We ended up chitter-chatting (laughs). We trained a little and we go like “That’s enough.”
--Since your home rinks are in different locations, you hardly ever practice together?
J: Right before major competitions such as Inter-High and Japanese Regionals, we got together to get the photos taken. When I was in Naniwa High School I went to Nishinomiya as we all had been scattered...
K: That was the only place I got to practice with Junya and Mitsuki, so I had a good time. The practice before the Inter-High was fun.
M: It was fun.
K: I was motivated too.
--Can you tell us some memorable episodes in high school?
K: Inter-High was super fun.
J: There are so many episodes of Inter-High.
K: We stuck around together the whole time and because we won our teacher treated us to BBQ meal which we ate to death.
J: We ordered so much meat even though it was not the all-you-can-eat restaurant, and ordered about 9 glasses of Coke, although free refill was not offered.
K: You were the only one who did that (laughs).
J: Yep, it’s me (laughs).
K: When I was with Junya it went like that and it’s the same when I went with Mitsuki.
M: I was stuffed.
K: We won easily.
K: First and third places.
K: I kept eating. It was so delicious.
J: Nagoya, huh. Was it Nagoya or Iwate where we went with Mitsuki?
K: Our school advisor was such a good teacher, and he took really good care of us. He is still in touch with us.
M: He is a super nice teacher.
J: He kept in touch with me at every competition.
K: He has diligently followed our competitions.
M: It was nice of him to come to Japan Nationals to see us.
K: He is part of the best memories of Inter-High.

J: That teacher’s birthday was always during the Inter-High and every year we went to his room saying “May we have a meeting with you?” and celebrated his birthday, “Happy birthday.”
K&M: Oh, we sure did that.
K: It was an annual event for us to celebrate his birthday with a birthday cake.
J: We bought him a little present and a cake. We did that in Iwate too, didn’t we? We walked in snow… and we got soaked by the snow (laughs).
K: During the Inter-High I felt a stronger feeling of camaraderie. Rather than regular student life, I got to practice together as a team the entire time before Inter-High and during its competitions. Usually we ould not practice alongside. These are the best memories.
J: Nope, not for me (laughs)
K: Then, what is up? We didn’t go back home together (laughs).
J: We went home in the different directions. We didn’t take the same route.
--Was the team advisor former skater?
K: He is still skating
M: Since the team was formed.
K: Skating team = that teacher.
J: Even though he had never skated, for some reason he became an advisor when the team was started, and he has been there ever since. He has learned so much that he now knows more about skating than skating buffs.

KiraraChin

Medalist
OMG THANK YOU, rRainbow! :thank:
Such a heartwarming interview, that part about the teacher was very touching :cry:
I'm sure he is very proud of these boys.

Guys, yesterday JSF announced their funding for the 2020-21 season: https://twitter.com/tsuyoboogie/status/1253286455373254659
Kazuki has stayed in Group A, same as last year. This time, I think it's fair since he was 6th at Nats and didn't win any international medals.

KiraraChin

Medalist
OMG I'm so looking forward to this! I hope Misha uses different cuts, this soundtrack has so many nice parts.

Kazuki surely likes Italian films, doesn't he? First Cinema Paradiso (which he said he always wanted to skate), now La Vita e Bella!
I can't help wondering if this choice has a deeper meaning for him - does he identify with the main character, as someone who's an 'entertainer' and able to make other laugh even in difficult circumstances?

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
OMG La vita è bella was totally unexpected!!! I'm so happy, sure Misha and Kazuki have good taste, I can't wait to see the final result!!!

I'm pretty sure it is a mere coincidence the fact that the announcement was made today, but it happens that April 25th is Italy's Liberation Day, a national Holiday commemorating the end of Nazi occupation, I still want to think it's a positive sign and I hope that it will bring a little more luck to Kazuki next season.

KiraraChin

Medalist
OMG La vita è bella was totally unexpected!!! I'm so happy, sure Misha and Kazuki have good taste, I can't wait to see the final result!!!

I'm pretty sure it is a mere coincidence the fact that the announcement was made today, but it happens that April 25th is Italy's Liberation Day, a national Holiday commemorating the end of Nazi occupation, I still want to think it's a positive sign and I hope that it will bring a little more luck to Kazuki next season.

Oh wow, I'm really curious to know whether is really a coincidence! I couldn't help myself and asked Misha on Twitter :laugh:

surimi

Record Breaker
Good luck to Kazuki with this FP! I am glad he's picking an out of the box program.
@ giu, Happy Liberation Day! :)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Vol 2
https://sportsbull.jp/p/726749/
--Do you hang out together off the ice?
J: Hmmm
M: Ah, This is our first time.
J&K: First time? (laughs)
M: Perhaps I’ve never hung out with Junya.
J: Ah, No. I probably haven’t gone out for fun with Mitsuki. I go out with Kazuki all the time though.
K: But you went out with him to eat ramen and things like that.
M: We ate out together only one time when we were in high school.
K: You guys ate Abura Soba. (t/n brothless pork ramen with spicy sauce)
M: You remember that, huh.
K: Yup, I remember that. He goes “It didn’t taste that good.”
J: It was soooo yummy!
M: That’s not what I meant. I had never eaten abura soba before.
K: You guys went to Ichiran (t/n a famous ramen restaurant) I remember that.
J: Okay then, tell him how to mix the noodles.
K: The other day the four of us went to the hot springs to spend the New Year’s Eve. Sota (Sota Yamamoto=Chukyo University) and Taichiro (Taichiro Yamakuma=Meiji University) were there with us.
J: It was a private outing, huh
K&M: Private.
K: Not really. The media wanted to report our private lives.
J: Oh, I get it.
M: But the interview was only in the beginning and after the reporter was gone, we had fun.
K: I had a good time.
J: Was that the first time?
K: First time for us to go out for fun?
J: Hmmm, I haven’t gone out with Mitsuki either. Mitsuki is much younger so I haven’t. Kazuki is…
K: Well, we went to eat ramen after school. I hung out with both of you guys. We went to eat ramen after school…We went to Ichiran to eat.
J: There was a time when we went out so often. We went to ROUND1 (t/n: entertainment center amusement centers offer a variety of games such as bowling, karaoke, video game, sports games)
K: We went to various locations. We went to Fukushima too.
J: Oh yeah, ramen hopping.
K: And also…
J: Standing in line.
K: Yup. We stood in line. Either on Saturday or when the school was till noon, so…
J: We went to Expo City.
K: Huh? I don’t remember at all.
J: We sure did go there! We went there once, when it opened.
K: Oh really (laughs). We hung out a lot in high school.
J: We went to Expo City and Koshien.
K: Yeah, we did.
J: I guess that’s about all. Anyway it’s easy to call Kazuki to join me.
K: I sure am easy to reach.
J: “Are you free tomorrow?” something like that.
M: Well then, let me join you guys at Koshien.
J: Oh, you wanna go.
M: I wanna go.
--How are you getting along now that you are in college?
K: Ah, same as before, but we hang out a little less often.
J: Much less. But we ate out together the other day.
K: We sure did.
J: I guess we don’t go out just the two of us as many times as before. Actually, not any more. Come to think of it, we rarely hang out.
K: I would have thought it was more often. Well, we practice at different rinks and go to different colleges, so we don’t have many chances to hang out.
J: Our schedules are too different. Practice schedule and such.
K: I did not know what he was doing and I didn’t know he changed his coach either (laughs).
J: (laughs) That was because I didn’t tell you about it.
K: I go “Whatttt?” I never knew.
J: I am surprised that we don’t get together very much. Since Kazuki have become showy, he hasn’t invited me at all.
K: I’m not showy.
--Do any of you look different from high school days?
M: Nothing changed.
K: We look amazingly the same (laughs). Rather, we haven’t changed from when we were little kids.
J: We will never change the rest of our lives (laughs).
K: Junya hated photos.
J: I hated getting my picture taken.
K: When he was in middle school he used to say no when I say “Let’s take a picture.” But before I knew it he turned into an extrovert. I guess he entered puberty and that’s the only change I noticed.
J: I was relatively quiet but I changed sooo much because we were close buddies.
K: You used to be completely opposite.
J: Yes, I was really shy and in my shell all the time.
K: Basically when I was hyper he always watched me.
J: I was laughing behind his back.
K: Well, Mitsuki, your nose was running when you were little (laughs).
J: Mitsuki was free spirited.
M: I was not motivated.
K: But I don’t think Mitsuki has changed at all, ever since he was little. Somehow, I hardly changed myself either. He looks almost the same.
J: Kazuki is getting a little showy. That’s how he changed.
K: I’m telling you I’m not (laughs).
--What kind of impression do you have of each other?
J: Impression? (laughs)
K: Junya has been like my older brother since our childhood. Misuki is…He has his own position (laughs). I don’t know how to describe.
J: Mitsuki is Mitsuki. Kazuki is really like my brother. About Mitsuki, it’s hard to put into words (laughs).
M: Junya-kun played with me. Kazuki did not play with me. That’s probably because we had the same coach.
J: Yeah, we had the same coach.
M: We were at the same rink.
J: We had the same coach so we spent time together. We kind of played together. Kazuki had a different coach but we were getting along great together. Oh, I get it. We were in the same age group. It didn’t matter much when we became junior and senior, but in novice days we were out there together all the time.
M: Kazuki gave me an impression that he was serious, because we were all goofing around.
J: (laughs) they gave us a long leash. Rinkai students were on a long leash.
K: Somehow Mitsuki had fun with Sota, Junya and others after we finished up the general skating lesson.
M: (Kazuki) was the only one who was left to practice skating (laughs).
K: Yes I was. The coach made me practice alone. I could not wait to be dismissed to play with them (laughs). Usually Junya and Mitsuki played baseball first.
J: Three of us including Sota were playing.
K: I joined them later usually.
J: When we were at Rinkai there were heaps of boys. Alumni joined in and we all played games, baseball and hide and seek. After all there were so many guys that we had a great time, I guss. Huh? Did I answer the question?
M: No, we were asked about each other’s impression.
J: Impression, huh (laughs).
K: Junya is my brother. And, Mitsuki is…When we were juniors we inspired each other, I guess. Mitsuki was catching up with me, or rather, he almost overtook me. When we practiced at Rinkai I very much paid attention to him. We, I mean I've improved a lot thanks to Mitsuki.
--Sumoto-san was inspired by him?
M: No…
K: He is “awfully cocky.” Please be sure to mention that in your article.
J: “Super cocky” with double quotation.
M: Rather than being inspired, back then I consider him much better than me. That’s why I didn’t think about beating him.
K: You’re lying (laughs).
M: I felt that way at selection meetings and when I was a novice as well. In my first junior season I didn’t want to win.
K: He then started going all out to win. He scared me to death.
M: There was a time when I really wanted to win at the competitions, but I was not so driven at practice…
K: I pay attention to him even now. I feel he is working hard.
J: Mitsuki is shaking his head (laughs).
K: He is cold hearted (laughs)
M: He praises me a lot. He has a good word for everyone.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Thank you so much, rRainbow! :luv17::thank:
Somehow this part of the interview is even more heartwarming than the previous one :love:

Why am I not surprised they went out to eat a lot, and 'ramen hopping' :laugh:
Also, I can see why Kazuki said Hiraike-sensei was very strict with him growing up, given that he was the only one who had to stay behind to practice when all the others were playing!
I loved the bit they talked about impressions of each other! Kazuki saying saying that Mitsuki inspired him to get better was very sweet.

Right, yesterday with all the excitement about the programme announcement I forgot to post this!
https://twitter.com/KiraraChin/status/1253607725797441536
BABY KAZUKI WAS JUST THE CUTEST!
Look at those cheeks! Also, can I point out he was already very fashionable, with matching trainers and shorts :biggrin:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Sorry, I realized that I hadn't translated the second half of Vol 1. Here's the rest of Vol. 1

--Do you have any regrets in high school?
J: We won the Inter-High team event when we (Kazuki and Junya) were in the first and second year. We could not win when we were in the second and third year.
M: Oh, I didn’t know that.
K: You remember so well.
J: It was at Iwate.
K: We didn’t have three spots.
J: We were only two of us. I thought there’s a chance we would win, but I dragged him down and we lost. That’s my biggest regret. What’s more, it was my third and the last year.
K: I remember that.
J: How about you guys? No regrets?
K: No, because I won (laughs).
M: It’s not that I regret it but…when Kazuki was in the third year and I was in the first, I bombed in SP. At that time Kazuki competed at Inter-High instead of going to the graduation ceremony. After the SP I could not take the first place because I really sucked. So I had such a hard time with the FS, and it is my unforgettable memory.
J&K: …Memory for you, huh.
J: You don’t regret it.
K: Because he once won.
J: You have good memories, instead of regrets (laughs).
M: I have…no regrets.
K: I wonder if I have regrets. Ah, Korean BBQ. In my last year after we had won we went to eat BBQ, but I was constipated at that time. I had a stomach ache and could hardly eat. I wish I could have eaten more.
J: I see.
K: It sure is my regret! I went to the bathroom so many times.
M: You disappeared.
K: You were saying “Kazuki went to the bathroom again.” I go “Sorry, my belly hurts. I cannot eat.” (laughs)
J: We cannot eat BBQ that much.
K: But I wanted to eat more.
M: It tasted good.
J: Is that all? (laughs)
K: I made the most of every day.
J: I guess so.
K: I don’t remember much about high school. One more thing is that I wanted to go on a school trip (for graduating students).
J: Where did you want to go? For me it’s Italy.
K: Ummmm, I wanted to go to the US, nothing special.
J: Either Italy or Okinawa. But chances are good that my stuff would get stolen.
K: After all, I didn’t have much to complain because my skating life was fulfilling
M: Then you have no regrets.
K: It’s not that I have regrets but I wish I had a more ordinary school life. I wanted to go on a school trip.
J: What Mitsuki just said was not the regret.
K: He was really recognized at school.
J: Things we missed out on, such as, “I should have attended the class more,” and “I should have gotten better grades in school.” But I just said these things myself (laughs).
M: Ummm, regrets…I didn’t want to go on a school trip that much.
K: You are way too cold (laughs).
M: Actually, I knew I wouldn’t be able to go on a school trip when I decided on Naniwa High School. Every year Japanese Junior Nationals happens to be during the school trip, so it didn’t bother me at all. If I had wanted to go on a school trip I would have entered a different high school.
J: That’s deep.
M: Because I knew I couldn’t go, I have no regrets.
J: I see what you mean.

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translations! lol at Kazuki's one regret :D He sure loves to eat!
I didn't know Naniwa students in their last year could travel as far as Europe or the US! That's one cool school trip B)
@ Kirara, what a cute baby pic of Kazuki! He doesn't look too impressed by the photographer ^ ^