Knee slides (keeping them straight) | Golden Skate

Knee slides (keeping them straight)

silverlily1

On the Ice
So...I have a knee pad (thank goodness), but my new artistic program ends with a knee slide.

At first my coach wanted a lunge, 180 degree turn in lunge, then sideways knee slide. She gave up on the 180 (I'd only actually attempted THAT twice prior and the competition is in two weeks), but my problem is that my knee slide kind of spins as it slides. Not that I can't handle a bit of rotation, but it's not the intention and I never actually know which way I'll be facing at the end. And I have no idea how judges would take that. It would be nice to have a bit more consistency.

Any suggestions?

I should add that the knee slide comes after a long spiral and drag with no extra propulsion added partway through, so there's only so much speed I can go into this with.

Last edited:

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland
I am assuming you are still going sideways in your slide even after removing the 180 degree turn in the lunge. This is extremely difficult without the turn as the physics just does not make sense. To not rotate in a slide, you have to push the direction you are going when getting into the side OR not push at all.

1) An alternative to the three turn in the lunge, you can kneel on one knee and three turn like that which makes it easier.
2) Another option is sliding forward and not pushing at all. If you use this option, you need to slightly pick up your leg if you have to move it at all. Any movement of the foot that stays on the ice will create a push.

silverlily1

On the Ice
I am assuming you are still going sideways in your slide even after removing the 180 degree turn in the lunge. This is extremely difficult without the turn as the physics just does not make sense. To not rotate in a slide, you have to push the direction you are going when getting into the side OR not push at all.

1) An alternative to the three turn in the lunge, you can kneel on one knee and three turn like that which makes it easier.
2) Another option is sliding forward and not pushing at all. If you use this option, you need to slightly pick up your leg if you have to move it at all. Any movement of the foot that stays on the ice will create a push.
Yes, I'm still rotating in the knee slide even if I don't do the rotation in lunge. Incidentally (and oddly) my daughter asked how I can rotate in a knee slide because she can only do it straight.

It sounds like, without being able to change what I'm supposed to do, you're suggesting I just embrace the spin.

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland
Yes, I'm still rotating in the knee slide even if I don't do the rotation in lunge. Incidentally (and oddly) my daughter asked how I can rotate in a knee slide because she can only do it straight.

It sounds like, without being able to change what I'm supposed to do, you're suggesting I just embrace the spin.
I'm asking if you are still intentionally sliding sideways even though you are not doing three turn

silverlily1

On the Ice
I'm asking if you are still intentionally sliding sideways even though you are not doing three turn
Yes, the slide is at 90 degrees to the lunge. It's the type where the back leg goes onto the knee and the front leg pushes out to the side, straight.

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland
Yes, the slide is at 90 degrees to the lunge. It's the type where the back leg goes onto the knee and the front leg pushes out to the side, straight.
You pretty much cannot do those to the side without a three turn and expect to not rotate.

If you don't want rotation, try bending your back leg in the lunge when you three turn instead of holding