Korean Competitions | Golden Skate

Korean Competitions

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Have there been/are there any competitions coming up soon in Korea? Qualifications for Nationals and the like? I haven't heard anything and can't find anything, so I am wondering if anyone else has any info.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So, first things first: we don't have qualifier competitions for Nats, we don't have that much elite skaters to begin with. We do however have two competitions that are considered 'big': the Ranking Competition (used to determine 4CC entries and one of the criteria for national team selections) and Nats*(used to determine Worlds entries and the other criteria for national team selections). I had posted schedules for domestic competitions on the Korean skating thread back in June when they were announced, but for now all competitions schedules are TBA. However, it does seem like the Young Hopes Competition (mostly pre-novice to novice, some domestic level juniors compete there) will be taking place around mid-November. They had originally cancelled it but it seems they brought it back as a tester event. The level determiner tests** are also tentatively taking place again (exact schedule TBA, but planned around late October to mid-November), but it's not really a competition. Everything is very murky right now, nothing's set in stone.

*There are two competitions that can be translated as "Nationals", 종합선수권 and 종별선수권. To rehash my explanation from the Korean skating thread:
y'know how there's RusNats and the Russian Cup Final, and while both are of a national scale the latter is less prestigious with most of the big names missing? What I translate as "Nats", 종합선수권, is like RusNats while 종별선수권, the one I translate as "National Figure Skating Competition", is like the Russian Cup Final.
** There's this level system called 급 here, there are up to 8 levels with 8th being the highest. Skaters earn these levels by going through level determining tests, held regularly each season, where they have to showcase the required technical skills for each level. Levels are used to determine domestic senior/junior competition eligibility and in a normal season, used as qualifications for JGP selection events.