Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Let's Have Fun Talking Costumes!

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a question for everyone: What's your favorite "I can't believe the skater is wearing that" costume? In the spirit of keeping this thread positive, I'm thinking of the reaction being funny "I can't believe the skater is wearing that", are not devolving the conversation into inappropriate costumes either by offensiveness of the outfit or age-inappropriate.

My favorite is from Savechenko and Szolkowy at the 2010 Olympics and Send in the Clowns, all I have to say is I'm thankful it was their SP and not the FS so these costumes aren't immortalized in podium pictures
https://youtu.be/yOBEzJY_uF4?t=255

I was scratching my head at Faeilla & Scali's costumes to Moonlight Sonata

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Anyone who wears electric blue gets my vote... other than that, I love Uno’s costuming.

my favorite costume this year so far is Aliev’s SP costume, because I like period uniforms.

lappo

Final Flight
A question about green costumes: why are they considered unlucky? When did this superstion originated?
This is the earliest reference I found but it does not mention how it was born: "One of Sonja Henie's rivals, Cecilia Colledge, wanted to wear a green satin dress for her free skating performance at the 1936 Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Though she always felt she skated best in the green dress, her mother insisted she wear silver. Not even her 'lucky zoo' of stuff animals saved her from finishing the event in second place. One of Cecilia's successors, Daphne Walker, started wearing a green elephant talisman at the age of eight for good luck and collected over three hundred elephant ornaments. Like Cecilia, she often wore green dresses in competition, flying in the face of the superstition that green was an unlucky colour" (I took the quote from this super interesting site: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2018/08/lucky-socks-and-unlucky-frocks-strange.html)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A question about green costumes: why are they considered unlucky? When did this superstion originated?
This is the earliest reference I found but it does not mention how it was born: "One of Sonja Henie's rivals, Cecilia Colledge, wanted to wear a green satin dress for her free skating performance at the 1936 Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Though she always felt she skated best in the green dress, her mother insisted she wear silver. Not even her 'lucky zoo' of stuff animals saved her from finishing the event in second place. One of Cecilia's successors, Daphne Walker, started wearing a green elephant talisman at the age of eight for good luck and collected over three hundred elephant ornaments. Like Cecilia, she often wore green dresses in competition, flying in the face of the superstition that green was an unlucky colour" (I took the quote from this super interesting site: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2018/08/lucky-socks-and-unlucky-frocks-strange.html)
I don't know about in skating but green was considered 'unlucky' in the theatre for a long time because early spotlights worked by burning quicklime (origin of the term 'to be in the limelight'), and so the light they produced was green. If you were wearing a green costume under green light, instead of being the centre of attention you'd vanish from sight! All those Principal Boys in Robin Hood pantos must have breathed an immense sigh of relief when spotlight technology moved on...

Anyway, it's possible the superstition transferred over from theatre to skating, maybe via costume makers, despite there not being any particular reason for it to exist in the skating world.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Anyone who wears electric blue gets my vote... other than that, I love Uno’s costuming.

my favorite costume this year so far is Aliev’s SP costume, because I like period uniforms.

whilst not a competition dress, the colour is the reason why Tessa Virtue's blue moulin rouge practice dress is my favourite dress of all time. It is stunning and she looks exquisite. Sometimes simplicity is best.

macy

Record Breaker
I think Alexa Knierim's and Jessica Calalang's Lisa McKinnon costumes for this season are beautiful. I also like a lot of the Japanese designer Satomi Ito costumes. Recently, Shoma has had several costumes designed by Canadian designer, Mathieu Caron. The simplicity of them gives them a very classy touch. His Moonlight Sonata costume was a beauty.

Not sure if it's a new trend, but are more of the ladies' costumes longer this season? For some of the really small skaters, the fabric overwhelms them..Definitely not into gloves for men or ladies..
my favorite designers are definitely Lisa McKinnon, Ladu, and Satomi Ito. they all do SUCH goregeous work. Most notably for me have been many of Ashley Wagner's dresses by Lisa such as her only worn once pink Moulin Rouge, edgy sweet dreams and purple and red leopard print HHCC.

MR http://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/2017/11/ice-styleskate-america-2017-costumes.html

sweet dreams https://www.lisamckinnondesigns.com/?lightbox=dataItem-jem58fj02

HHCC https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ba/ef/17/baef1789557b1491bbda9b41c3750ae1.jpg

Satomi has done costumes for Shoma, Yuzu, Wakaba, Marin and others i believe. she did Wakaba's blue mirrored Bond dress which is one of my favorites in recent years. it was so perfect for that program.

Mathieu Caron i'm 99% sure did Madison Chock's iconic snake dress, probably one of the best dresses of all time IMO.

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just giving my opinion on some of the bigger questions
1) Favorite designer (Ladu designs, Lisa McKinnon, Brad Griffies, new up and comers)
Vera Wang. I love her simplicity.
2) Green or yellow on the ice: an absolute no-no?
I wouldn't say so. I think it depends on the person. If they are ver superstitious, then best not to with the green, but I do not think it looks bad.
3) Are illusion mesh long sleeves with rhinestones immature?
No. I'm surprised some people feel this way.
4) Gloves: no? yes? safety concerns?
No, I hate them. I've never had a problem not wearing gloves and don't wear them to practice unless I am jumping. You will not cut your blade from touching it to do a biellmann or an I-spin. Skate blades aren't that sharp. If they were sharp enough to hurt your hand, they'd go through those thin gloves anyway. They only time I think they're okay are when they actually add to a costume.

Dogo

On the Ice
I adore Liza Tuktik's new plum dress for her 2020-21 SP. The color compliments her complexion and dark hair SO well. And it looks VERY dreamy on her!! Also, I love how the low-neck gold collar goes amazing with the overall look. It becomes a nice color contrast to the soft violet fabric hues and adds some shine/sparkle to her ethereal "goddess" look. Throughout the years I have becomes a bit bored of high collar necks that are made fully of sparkles (they look very heavy). So I appreciate a great looking low-neck 😉

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
In general I prefer memorably WTF/tacky costumes to boring plain ones, so even when I think a costume is ugly I have to respect that effort was made, if that makes sense? Unless it’s actively offensive *cough*Shulepov*cough* or insensitive.

Like, I was not a fan of Anna Pogorilaya’s FS dress in 16-17 but I still remember it!

One of my favorite underrated dresses is Dabin Choi’s Olympic Doctor Zhivago dress- I’m on mobile but I’ll try to find a link. Hopefully this works...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choi_Da-bin#/media/File%3ACHOI_Dabin_KOR_–_7th_Place_(19).jpg