Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
How do we feel about French ladies costumes? Mae-Berenice and Laurine Lecavelier? Obviously two very different aesthetics but both have very distinct styles

I tend to really like Laurine's kind of deconstructed lingerie-style stuff. The Grease costume was tacky-cute. I love Mae-Berenice's skating but am lukewarm on her jumpsuits... I understand the strategy there (showing off how strong she is) and that some might find them very striking and fun, but I don't think they do her justice

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I find Javi's all-black Malaguena outfit one of the sexiest things for the last two quads, Denis Ten probably managed the very best refined and classy while still interesting, and Stephane's sparkly black at one of the FOIs managed refined and sexy.

funny you bring this up... many people have said that Javi's taped down suspenders all black costume was a lesser version to Patrick's all black...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
funny you bring this up... many people have said that Javi's taped down suspenders all black costume was a lesser version to Patrick's all black...

Oh, but then they're wrong (not that I'm dogmatic, stubborn or single-minded or anything, nonononono......)

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
Again, it's all very much down to taste though. I find Javi's all-black Malaguena outfit one of the sexiest things for the last two quads, Denis Ten probably managed the very best refined and classy while still interesting, and Stephane's sparkly black at one of the FOIs managed refined and sexy.

Do you mean "Slave to the music"? I really love that too.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How do we feel about French ladies costumes? Mae-Berenice and Laurine Lecavelier? Obviously two very different aesthetics but both have very distinct styles

I'm very fond of the raggedy tunic over shorts/sports knickers that Laurine wore for her Experience SP. It's the most distinctive and unique of her costumes so far and I think it played a strong part in making that program so effective. It just wasn't like anything anyone else has worn, that season or this. Her other costumes have sometimes been a bit generic, but the cowl-draped back of her Summer of 42 program this year was nice and unusual, and the Marilyn dress was surprisingly effective before an attempt was made to glitter it up.

Mae-Berenice has had some nice dresses over the years, but I do like her catsuits too. They haven't always necessarily shown her body shape to best advantage - she has a longish torso and sometimes the lines of the catsuits can exaggerate that and make her look out of proportion to herself - but they always show off her power, and the golden breastplate look this past season worked really, really well, both to showcase her strength and personality and to suit the music.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Mae Berenice's catsuits do absolutely nothing for her athletic figure. She certainly isn't sylph-like but I think they draw attention to her muscular body-type. I love her power and it's nice to see someone who doesn't look anorexic but I prefer her in dresses.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Muscular body types are beautiful to me. Most of Canadians, even dancers like Tessa Virtue have beautiful muscled bodies. So i think that catsuits are well on them most of the time.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think Mae Berenice's catsuits do absolutely nothing for her athletic figure. She certainly isn't sylph-like but I think they draw attention to her muscular body-type. I love her power and it's nice to see someone who doesn't look anorexic but I prefer her in dresses.

Muscular body types are beautiful to me. Most of Canadians, even dancers like Tessa Virtue have beautiful muscled bodies. So i think that catsuits are well on them most of the time.

I absolutely agree that her figure and power is her strong suit, but I honestly think dresses show it off better for her.

I'm not always the biggest fan of Tessa's dress design itself, but the way her dresses are often cut to show off her muscular back is amazing :love:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Watching yesterday's special on CiONTU, the really beautiful opening and closing was (among other things) something of a demonstration of how minimal colours can be so brilliantly done in a show - they all looked terrific and it worked as a total ensemble while letting them all be individual. Shae Lynn and Yuko were both dazzling in both black and white (Shae Lynn's seemingly simple dresses flowed like a dream), Johnny was incredibly minimal by anyone's standards let alone his and it worked, Minoru Sano rocked a tuxedo, and Yuzu was just different enough to stand out - the spangled charcoal PWW shirt, which I actually prefer to the blue, and that utterly gorgeous sparkly white shirt of his. I mean, I would be the last to want to take away his usual otherworldly bling (as if anyone could) and I do enjoy (for good or bad) a lot of the matching outfits at the other shows I've now seen, but still....

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Err, I have looked , and IMO they're anything but. They're more someone who doesn't actually quite understand how the words sexy and refined have anything to do with clothes but is making a half-hearted try anyway... every time I've watched him, he looked uncomfortable in his own outfits (well, to be fair, until his program hit its stride). He's one of the skaters I do think might have been happier if a uniform code had ever come in.

Whereas some of the most outrageous dressers often have the gift of being and feeling totally comfortable in their sparkles, which I suspect is one reason why they pop up so often on FS Best and Worst Costume lists on forums, blogs, tumblr... often for the same outfit :laugh:

I'm going to have to disagree here. Esqualo is one of Patrick's most fitting outfits. And he rocked it. There was also nothing half-hearted about Blackbird. Actually I'd say Patrick made monochrome work better than Javier. That's not to say Javier's taste is poor. He's had some amazing costumes.

Outrageous dressers aren't always sexy or refined. But well, they are welcome in this thread. :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm going to have to disagree here.

Nothing wrong with that - and I for one freely admit it would be way less fun indeed if all the skaters dressed according to one vision of good, even if it was my own.

Though to go back to the original OP question, I wouldn't label Javi's or Stephane's outfits consistently good or bad any more than Patrick Chan's, Javi's best are so character-program driven, but they don't always work for me. And Stephane... well, like Yuzuru, he's so much that little girl with the little curl again...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Actually I love polka dots...just not the way they were presented by T/M. An earlier poster showed Anna Capellini doing very well with polka dots, and certainly there would have been possibilities with Evghenia's costume too. As well as the tie.

WestVirginia130

Rinkside
Look at the esqualo costume if you want sexy

Look at aranjuez poto or boheme if you want refined.

Elegie first version had ruffles and mesh. Not something my gramdpa confused or not would have worn.

I agree with you for mtk. That costume was bad. The coatumes after his break are simple and modern. That is part of his point of view: putting the skating first.

We agree on the rest. Greatest skater of all times. Yes. He is part of that group.

OP here! I do agree that esqualo is a work of art (and I appreciated Nathan's similar (original) piece for Nemesis quite a lot). I'll get behind semi-see through black lace on ANYONE, thanks ;)

But I'm gonna double down on his more recent costume choices. They give off a very 70s average-joe vibe for me. ESPECIALLY the hombre looks from this last season, combined with the easily dated music choices. Like I appreciate that his music picks were classics and suited his style very well, but in combination with the costumes it was just Too dated for me. Especially for his last, olympic season, I kinda wish he would have gone out on a higher aesthetic note.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

Anna Cappellini is the queen of dresses. She should launch a collection of all of her dresses. :love:

As for Ice dancers, Anna and Luca, Tessa and Scott for me had consistently amazing costumes. Anna's skirts cut is one of kind and probably a secret she will pass to her daughter only:laugh:. Maia Shibutani had also some gorgeous dresses - and her catsuit for Blues SD was also fab! I also love majority of WeaPo costumes - their Paso Doble SD and Waltz SD costumes were just exquisite.

From Pairs - Vanessa James for me us the Queen of Catsuits, period. Also, that striking cobalt SP dress from last season's SP was stunning, so also a queen of bright colours!

I'm late to the party here on this thread, but so glad to see sweet Anna mentioned by so many posters! I absolutely adore her outfits, and her dresses at the 2018 olympics were especially gorgeous! Something about that empire waist is just so delicate/dainty. https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-k6aCIFupCtM/Wo3DdC5IC1I/AAAAAAABoWI/X6JLC9IyJ5UOWVFFgL8yMYDAEqbZ_Ze-ACLcBGAs/s1600/Anna%252BCappellini%252BFigure%252BSkating%252BWinter%252BOlympics%252BIntFaILSIQbx.jpg

Also agree re: Weaver/Poje costumes and Vanessa James' catsuits! Also want to give a shoutout to Tessa's catsuit/jumpsuit for the 2017 Prince number - one of my favorites of her costumes! (And I've loved many of them.)
:love: https://66.media.tumblr.com/0305592df708447d986ee97ed88ec2a8/tumblr_inline_pclim2lcwi1s7cswn_1280.png

On the opposite side of the spectrum, anyone remember Domnina/Shabalin? Easily the worst outfits I've ever seen, just bad on so many levels: https://static01.nyt.com/images/2010/02/04/sports/olympics/04longman/articleLarge.jpg
And this was pretty hideous too, but not offensive at least... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/03/8b/60/038b602444135d4db9a4ef48108eb0d6.jpg

Lastly... Tonya Harding. Ugh. Did she ever wear anything nice/tasteful/not obnoxiously revealing?? Part of this was just the fashion at the time, but still... :eeking: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/tonya-tout-1.jpg