Lipnitskaia's LP? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaia's LP?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
On a tangent - does anyone else think Cinematic Orchestra's Arrival of the Birds and Transformation would be a great piece for Lipniskaia to use for her LP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqoANESQ4cQ

I found this last summer when I was looking for some background music to play while I read and absolutely fell in love with it. This is something I could imagine Akiko skating to...Julia, not so much but I'd love to see her try.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I would love to see Julia use one of the Narnia soundtracks and portray Lucy. Maybe make a skating dress that resembles an old-school British school uniform.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
^^A little girl again? I think she should steer away from roles that put her in a position where she's suppose to portray a child. Pigeonholing her into that role will do nothing to help her grow or expand as an artist.

Eclair

Medalist
Maybe this time she tried to portray a teenager thus the romeo and juliet program? :biggrin: Actually I didn't think her program has to change at all. There's no cat music like Gracie once used or skreeching singing, half nude and/or ridiculous dresses etc. - the music and choreography were good and age appropriate. It was her skating that let her down last time.

Florentina

On the Ice
I think she should skate to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7YV3g36Khs And combine sad, melancholic aspects with joyous. Hey, I can dream right ;)

On a more serious note, I think she should skate to whatever she likes. She shouldn't do a tango to try to prove she can do it if she absolutely dislikes the type of music. It's a process. I'm sure she'll find her way. And I'm sure there's no risk it'll all her programs will be the same. But it's only normal not all of them can be a masterpiece.You can't force it.

MalAssada

Medalist
I'd love a program skated to The Heart Asks Pleasure First by Michael Nyman, and I think Yulia fits perfectly the tone of the music. The main character from the movie is mute, therefore she comunicates with hand signs and I personally think Yulia has awesome arm movement. Plus, the main character has a death glare :biggrin: Next season she would be 17, young but mature enough for the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dPS-EHl-FE

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
:laugh: that's so cute, talented Japanese fans! :bow: JuliaLip's "death glare" become quite famous, ever since those photos of how she glare at Mao at Sochi OG practice came out. But I think fans thought that is adorable, and believe that she is a strong headed girl. I think it is not a mockery or anything.

I appreciated the glare because JuLip seems to be a perfectionist and if she's messing up I can imagine her having a glare but towards herself. Then to watch Mao skate around perfectly it probably made her even more angry at herself. On the podium JuLip smiled and congratulated Mao, so I don't think she meant anything by her death glare wrt to her competitors. I played baseball and when my timing is off and my arms are jelly I'd get serious bitchface looking at the pitcher. Meant nothing about the pitcher I just show my displeasure with myself quite easily on my face. Also I think it's different for a 16 year baseball player to get angry versus a ladies figure skater who is still growing. I knew that the more I grew the better I'd become. Imagine the stress of a ladies' skater when things aren't going well, she's probably scared out of her mind that she is outgrowing her skill set. So not only is there the stress of the moment, there is the stress of the future. At least that's how I see it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
If I was to design the next blockbuster Yulia Lipnitskaia program that is really going to promote the sport (breaking the conservative pageantry image), I'd dress her in black witch costume, face painted green and have her skate to Wicked the Musical: Defying Gravity!

She'd be absolutely amazing!! Perfectly natural with all the Russian dramatic style reaching out to the audience. She can make it program as personal and empowerment as she want. (Get someone to record a version just for a skating program)

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!

She'd be the most popular skater in the new world and her performance played all over youtube everywhere in multiple languages! She'd such a sensation, Steven Spielberg will call AGAIN and beg her to be his next BIG star at the next Dreamworks production of Wicked, the musical skating movie. Yulia can even speak in cute Russian accent English and actually goes with the displaced character really well. Get Gracie be Galinda the good witch, and Johny weir as the Oz and now we have a show!!

Last edited:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I think Yulia's LP is a good layout after all and I'm sure a fire has been lit in her after China. I hated the changes to last season's layout but if she gets her feet under her it has a BV of approx. 60-61 points (depending on edge call, SS level) and a possible TES of 70-71 points. I thought the changes lowered the value but they really didn't change things that much. I added only the standard GOE she usually gets for the elements in it.

About the program as a whole, I think it's impossible to evaluate when there were significant problems on five elements (three of them were practically MIA after all), and slight doubt on 3 of the others(judging from the GOE on the flying spin, 3L, and 2A-2T). I did like the music, which is surprising because my favorite is the cut she used in 2012 and it didn't seem like these four minutes were as good, and the opening and closing sections were wonderful. I'll wait until the next time I see it to actually form my lasting opinion of it, though.

Last edited: