Lipnitskaia's LP? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaia's LP?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Yulia hadn't become so famous w/ SL, maybe this could work. As it is, though, I think the program is too well-known and she'd probably get all kinds of grief (e.g., "resting on her laurels," "one-trick pony" etc.) for not using new material. IMO, R&J has a lot of potential so I hope she's able to get comfortable with it and skate it to the best of her ability.

I don't see the potential in it yet. Cohen's R&J is going to be tough to match up to... and Hanyu did it recently too. It's so weird, her SPs usually tend to be unique music that few people do - I wish she'd do the same for the FS. I mean, what's she going to do next season, Carmen? :rolleye:

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't see the potential in it yet. Cohen's R&J is going to be tough to match up to... and Hanyu did it recently too. It's so weird, her SPs usually tend to be unique music that few people do - I wish she'd do the same for the FS. I mean, what's she going to do next season, Carmen? :rolleye:

Schindler's List isn't a 'war horse'. And at the beginning of the off-season they were going to use Mulan, definitely unique, but at the closed test skate the officials didn't like it and told/advised them to change it. I think R&J came up because it was a little last minute for the program.

Imagine

Medalist

I know Yulia dislikes classical...and this is probably the most overdone music in all of FS...but I'd die to see a Yulia Swan Lake...:slink:

elee63

Final Flight

Not to mention other skaters are also using the music in the current season, who are exhibiting more emotion and yet are being dinged on their PCS for their lack of reputation. If and when they skate at the same competition, the comparison will be a bit glaring.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Sort of random, but on the topic of her reaction to her mistakes and the no-show, some Japanese fans made this for Radionova, I think. Notice the expressions.... https://instagram.com/p/ssVEX1wYYn Just thought it was curious.

:laugh: that's so cute, talented Japanese fans! :bow: JuliaLip's "death glare" become quite famous, ever since those photos of how she glare at Mao at Sochi OG practice came out. But I think fans thought that is adorable, and believe that she is a strong headed girl. I think it is not a mockery or anything.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States

I agree it would be tough to match Sasha's R&J, although perhaps that is why I like her skating, the flexibility is stunning. I am concerned that she seems so tightly wound and stressed out at such a young age. She came in second at Cup of China, it is not the end of the world.

(And for the record, I think maybe in a year or two she could do justice to Carmen. I said it before that I wish that Sasha had skated to Carmen later in her career as a more mature skater rather than in 2000).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are pigtails uncommon amongst 13 yr olds? :confused2:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Agreed, I have always prefered age appropriate programs.

I understand what you mean. As beautiful as it was, Michelle's "Salome" always bothered me a bit for that reason. Still, it's worth remembering that Shakespeare's Juliet was only around 14...

noskates

Record Breaker
I think 14 year olds in Shakespeare's time were A LOT different than 14 year olds today. I agree about age-appropriate music though. I guess if you try to act the role it makes it worse. As much as I love Schindler's List I thought it was wayyyy to strong for Julia. I realize she was playing the little girl in the red coat from the movie but that music is sooo powerful and evokes such emotions.

But PLEASE don't wish Carmen on anybody ever again for at least 20 years. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overused.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think people need to cool it. Julia bombed her LP at Cup of Russia last year, but rallied to win Euros and have clean programs in the Sochi team event. There's plenty of time for her to recover. Although this program isn't the best vehicle for her. It's so overplayed, R&J.

Well, there is no guarantee that history will repeat itself. This is a different year and she has some new competition and a different set of problems.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Juliet in pigtails is creepy, imagine Carmen in pigtails......sort of like Lolita, no?

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I don't see these pigtails as creepy. Besides, IIRC last season she changed her hairstyle between events several times. So no worries.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Yulia can keep on using well-known movie soundtrack that is a little sad, hence no demand for much facial expressions; plus there is a little girl in that movie, maybe Horse Whisper if there is a workable soundtrack from it.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Not to mention other skaters are also using the music in the current season, who are exhibiting more emotion and yet are being dinged on their PCS for their lack of reputation. If and when they skate at the same competition, the comparison will be a bit glaring.

Agreed, it is really sad actually. I might even know the specific skater you might be thinking of...