Mai Mihara | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Mai Mihara

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I actually caught her SP this morning on french eurosport when i was zapping. Commentators were basically saying how boring she was compared to the other skaters, especially compared to Sakamoto. I watched her FS tonight again on eurosport and they were saying the same thing. They sounded not overjoyed by her win. As if charisma was all what matters on ice.

Well, i'm happy that boredom won.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually caught her SP this morning on french eurosport when i was zapping. Commentators were basically saying how boring she was compared to the other skaters, especially compared to Sakamoto. I watched her FS tonight again on eurosport and they were saying the same thing. They sounded not overjoyed by her win. As if charisma was all what matters on ice.

Well, i'm happy that boredom won.
She's not boring. She's an elegant skater.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
She's not boring. She's an elegant skater.
Indeed, and she has so much charisma too. Not of the same sort as Kaori Sakamoto, of course, but powerful still.
Their styles complement each other very well.
What some people are starting to wonder, is if Mai Mihara's presence in the same competition could destabilise Kaori Sakamoto. This is because Mai Mihara also beat Kaori Sakamoto at Asia Open. If this is the case, for each GP trophy it's easy for Japanese federation to avoid having them in the same competition, but for Grand Prix Final, Four Continents and Worlds, it's impossible — both belong to them, in the present field. So, if it does happen to give Kaori Sakamoto some uneasiness, I hope they won't hesitate to resort to a sports psychologist, so that she can skate with all her means, even when Mai Mihara is there too.

liv

Record Breaker
I'd rather watch Mai skate than pretty much any other skater because i love lightness and smooth skating. To me, she has charm and there is a love for skating that comes through. Some years I have disliked her short program, I never thought David Wilson did her any favours, but this year I love her sp and her free program. They are the best she's done. The joy this year is so evident... to me, that's watchable. Presumably skaters compete because they love skating, but sometimes you don't get that feeling. I'd rather watch her genuine expression than skaters with serious or carefully fake facial expressions, be they full of angst with their pained expressions meant to show their passion or big smiles that don't ever falter.

I remember that the year Mai was off, Kaori had real trouble competing and that improved when Mai was well enough to return. I'm sure Kaori will be herself again.