Maria Pavlova & Alexei Sviatchenko | Golden Skate

Maria Pavlova & Alexei Sviatchenko

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Maria Pavlova (born 8 February 2004) and Alexei Sviatchenko (born 24 March 1999) are a pairs team representing Hungary.

They are the 2023 Skate Canada silver medalists and the 2023 GP Espoo bronze medalists. They qualified to the 2023-24 Grand Prix Final.

They are also the 2023 CS Budapest Trophy silver medalists and the 2023 CS Finlandia Trophy bronze medalists.

They are the 2022-23 Hungarian national champions.

Maria previously skated with Balázs Nagy, with whom she is the 2022 Hungarian national silver medalist and finished 11th at the 2022 European Championships.

Alexei previously skated representing Russia with Daria Kvartalova, with whom he was the 2018 JGP Richmond bronze medalist and with Anastasia Balabanova.

ISU Bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00114934.htm

Skating Scores: https://skatingscores.com/hun/pairs/maria_pavlova_alexei_sviatchenko/

Rink Results:
Maria: http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_id=40738
Alexei: http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_id=32653

Wikipedia:
Maria: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Pavlova_(figure_skater)
Alexei: not yet available

Golden Skate Fan Fests
Maria Pavlova & Balázs Nagy

ISU Personal Bests

Personal Best Total Score204.6021.03.2024ISU World Championships 2024
Personal Best Score Short Program68.0120.03.2024ISU World Championships 2024
Personal Best Score Free Skating136.5921.03.2024ISU World Championships 2024

Programs
2023-2024 Season

SP - Another One Bites the Dust by Queen
FS - My Perception Of Love by Benjamin Amaru; Iron 2021 by Woodkid

2022-2023 Season
SP: I See Red by Everybody Loves an Outlaw
FS: Angel by Tokio Myers; Somebody To Love by Queen

Results

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
This is what coach Fedor Klimov had to say:

Google translation:

Fedor Klimov: “The Italians, who won the European Championship, showed good skating. But for me, Pavlova and Svyatchenko are champions in skating”​

Sochi 2014 Olympic champion in the team Fyodor Klimov commented on the results of the sports couples competition at the European Championships in Espoo.
Klimov is the coach of Maria Pavlova and Alexei Svyatchenko, who play for Hungary. They finished fifth in the tournament.
“I want to congratulate Maria and Alexei, they did their job almost 100%, I am satisfied with them. Estimates, I think, are not the ones they deserved, both in the short and in the free program.
The Italians, who won, showed good skating. But for me, Maria and Alexei are champions in skating. At least they should be on a pedestal.
They paired up in February-March last year. We can say that the progress is fast, but for the skaters who skated in pairs at a high level and have a good school, not such a short period of time has passed.
For now, it is necessary to hone and execute purely the technical set that they have. You can see for yourself, the level is such that pairs with double jumps take second and third places at the European Championships.
So, if the guys make a quality set without ultra-c, they will already be able to claim high places, ”said Klimov.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

2023-24 Programs 🎶
SP: selections by Queen; choreo by Irina Zhuk and Alexander Svinin
FS: "My Perception of Love" by Benjamin Amaru; choreo by Sofia Evdokimova

"It is easy and interesting to work with them," said coach Dimitri Savin. "The most important thing is that they understand and trust each other. They easily manage a big workload and understand what they are doing it for."

LadyB

Record Breaker
Interview with coach Dmitriy Savin

Google translation:

Coach Savin: “Pavlova and Sviatchenko are a new couple, “arrogant upstarts.” But we understand that only with clean performances and arrogance we can take our toll.”​

The coach of the pair Pavlova - Svyatchenko believes that they “will be able to take their toll with impudence.”
Maria Pavlova and Alexey Svyatchenko represent the Hungarian national team. Last season they took seventh place at the World Championships and fifth at the European Championships.
“It’s clear that this season was planned to be a tough season for the guys. And the whole process was set up so that they would go out at any time - be it day or night - and do everything. We saw very well what they were capable of, and we had to instill in them the idea that going out and being afraid of what you can do is stupid.
They didn't come for one day. At the same time, we didn’t skate to the maximum of our abilities; in terms of content, we could have performed more seriously [at the European and World Championships]. But it was important to skate at a high technical level without mistakes. Starting from the first start in Zagreb, where the pressure was on getting the technical minimum.
On the one hand, I am dissatisfied that not everything turned out there. On the other hand, I’m glad, because it was important to plunge into a certain puddle so that the understanding of the need to continue working would remain. The feeling of lightness and spirituality could have failed.
They took the plunge themselves and received the grades they deserved. Well, what happened next, when at the box office the ratings remained low... It is clear that Maria and Alexey are a new couple, unknown to anyone, such “arrogant upstarts.” What they represent is a country that does not have much authority in figure skating.
But this is our path, and we are following it. And we understand that only with clean performances and arrogance we can get our way,” said coach Dmitry Savin.

Published by Jan Melnik
Source - "R-Sport"

LadyB

Record Breaker

Extended interview: “Arrogant upstarts”: Russian Hungarians, whom Orser himself wishes success

Maria Pavlova and Alexey Svyatchenko - RIA Novosti, 1920, 02.09.2023

Maria Pavlova and Alexey Svyatchenko are a sports couple who, in the first year of their existence, made a splash at the European and World Figure Skating Championships. A lot has been said about the fact that Russian athletes living in Sochi and competing for Hungary were openly condemned. A RIA Novosti Sport correspondent met with the skaters and their coach Dmitry Savin, talking about the path from the first skate in Sochi to the World Championships in Saitama, about the force majeure that they had to face on the way to Japan, and, of course, asking about the attitude Hungary to Russian skaters.
- Tell us how your couple came about?
Alexey Svyatchenko : This happened in March last year. Before that, I broke up with my partner Nadezhda Labazina and was in search of a new partner. I was looking for suitable options and tried to ride with three or four girls. I began to think about which of them to ride with. And then Dmitry Nikolaevich Savin called and told me that there is Marusya - a good girl, a strong guy. He offered to come to Sochi and try it. I came, tried it, I liked it.
- Maria, how did you end up on the Black Sea coast of the Caucasus?
Maria Pavlova: I have been living in Sochi for a long time. Even in single skating, I trained here with Alexey Urmanov. Then I decided to go into pairs. I was always told that I would be good for pair skating because I am short. I decided to try it. She trained in Moscow for some time, and then returned to Sochi.
- When you stood up as a couple for the first time, you immediately felt an exact hit?
MP: I wouldn’t say that I felt it right away. It was clear that we would still have to roll, many nuances arise. But personally, I liked riding with Lesha.
AS: When you get into a pair, it’s not only important how well you match each other’s elements. Psychological compatibility is also important. How easy it is to communicate, how quickly you can find a common language.
- And How?
AS: Marusya and I were fine with this right away.
- It’s noticeable, since you reached such a high level so quickly.
AS: Relatively quickly. We collected the elements, started skating programs, and then there were injuries and some setbacks. We lost time because of this. We didn’t go to a couple of starts that we had planned. But then everything returned to normal.
- Did you have any options as to which country to play for?
MP: I already had Hungarian citizenship at that moment. I competed for Hungary, skated with Balazs Nagy, but after a successful European Championship, he decided to rest and went to skate in the show. And they started looking for a partner for me.
AS: So, without any options - for Hungary. I was primarily looking for a partner to ride with in order to continue my career.

Maria Pavlova and Alexey Svyatchenko - RIA Novosti, 1920, 09/01/2023

- Both of you were singles skaters in the past. Is there any feeling of unsaidness left from those times?
MP: I have no regrets, I did everything I could do in singles skating.
AS: I switched from singles to pairs skating when I was 12 years old. And at that moment he didn’t even twist the triple sheepskin coat. Or how the snipe did it. So I learned everything in pair skating.
- Did it take you some time to get used to the new discipline?
MP: I was never afraid to do throws and supports. The only place where this feeling was present was twisting. I even do not know why. First my partner throws me up, then he catches me...
- And somewhere nearby there’s an elbow looming.
MP: That too. I was dropped from the spin, even several times.
- Last season was a breakthrough for you - excellent performances at the European and World Championships. Have you been waiting for this?
AS: We planned that we would perform like this, we prepared with all our might. We are very glad that everything worked out.
MP: At first I was worried, the first couple of starts were alarming. And then I calmed down - if everything works out in training, then everything will be fine in competitions.
Dmitry Savin: It is clear that this season was planned to be a killer one for the guys. And the whole process was set up so that they would go out at any time - be it day or night - and do everything. We saw very well what they were capable of, and we had to instill in them the idea that going out and being afraid of what you can do is stupid. They didn't come for one day. At the same time, we didn’t skate to our maximum capabilities; in terms of content, we could have performed more seriously. But it was important to skate at a high technical level without mistakes. Starting from the first start in Zagreb, where the pressure was on getting the technical minimum. On the one hand, I am dissatisfied that not everything turned out there. On the other hand, I’m glad, because it was important to plunge into a certain puddle so that the understanding of the need to continue working would remain. The feeling of lightness and spirituality could have failed.
Maria Pavlova and Alexey Svyatchenko - RIA Novosti, 1920, 09/01/2023

- Have you taken the plunge in terms of grades?
DS: We took the plunge ourselves and got the grades we deserved. Well, what happened next, when the ratings at the box office remained low... It is clear that Maria and Alexey are a new couple, unknown to anyone, such arrogant upstarts. What they represent is a country that does not have much authority in figure skating. But this is our path, and we are following it. And we understand that only with pure performance and arrogance can we take our toll.
- But the scores at the European Championships turned out to be completely different from what everyone expected after seeing your performances. You finished fifth, but your coach Fedor Klimov said that for him you are champions. Are you very upset?
AS: Somewhere very deep and a little bit. It was important for us that we showed ourselves, coped with the excitement, with ourselves. We understand that this was our first season, no one knew us and did not bet on us. So we were just happy that we were there and were able to perform. And everything else no longer depends on us.
- You came seventh at the World Championships. Do you think the attitude towards you has changed?
MP: It was better, and the ratings were already good. Personally, I'm satisfied.
DS: We can always do better, but after the travel hassle we experienced riding in a different time zone early in the morning with a short break, we can say it was a quality performance. And most importantly, they have already begun to evaluate us there. We started looking closely. We realized that the couple had come not just to ride, but also to show results.
- What was the hassle associated with?
DS: Fog fell on Sochi and the airport was closed. We changed our tickets three times, took the last flight to Istanbul, spent the night there, and the next day we visited the very interesting country of Mongolia along the way. So it's a sin to complain.
- Everyone understands that you are Russian athletes competing under the Hungarian flag. Because of this, did you feel any special treatment at the European and World Championships?
AS: I personally didn’t notice anything. It seems to me that it all depends on how you set yourself up. If you expect such an attitude, then you will begin to look for it in everything. We communicate well with all the athletes, in different languages - Russian, English.
- What is your relationship within the Hungarian team?
MP: Very good. At tournaments we always support each other, if possible, we go to the stands and cheer when one of our team skates.
- Do you often visit Hungary?
MP: In August we go to test skates. At other times - for competitions.
- Is there a national championship in pair skating there?
AS: Hungarian skaters participate in the championship of four countries - Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Last season we won it.
- In the spring, Gurgen Vardanyan, whom some accused of “Russifying” Hungarian figure skating, left the post of sports director of the Hungarian Figure Skating Federation. Has anything changed for you since he left?
AS: Nothing for Marusya and me.
MP: We are just working, preparing for the new season to show good results.
DS: I would like to note that Gurgen is a fan of figure skating, and he did everything to develop this sport in Hungary. So this was not “Russification”, but a systematic development.
- The Hungarian federation has no questions about why you train in Russia and not in Hungary?
MP: We never had any questions.
DS: You have to understand that in Hungary there are no such conditions as here. There are two skating rinks in the whole of Budapest, and preference in the distribution of ice is given to hockey and short track. If there were different conditions, perhaps there would be other decisions. And now for Maria and Alexey the only opportunity to train is in Sochi.
- Do you like it here?
MP: We are happy with everything. Sometimes, of course, I envy when I go out to train at the skating rink and see people in swimsuits walking towards the beach. But I don’t turn in the other direction (laughs).
- Everyone knows how Russian figure skating is financed. How are things going in this regard in Hungary?
DS: There is support. Figure skating in Hungary is related to short track speed skating, and this sport is well financed there. As in many countries, in Hungary figure skaters begin to be financed when they begin to show results. Yes, at first we had to, as they say, tighten our belts, but only before the first start - now all the support from the federation, from the state goes to Maria and Alexey. Competitions, travel, training camps, staging programs - all this is paid for. And now the guys have reached such a level that they will receive a scholarship.
- Do you feel any interest in your couple? By the number of subscribers on social networks, for example.
AS: I was inactive on social networks for a long time, and lost a lot. But now I'm coming back. And he aims to reach the level of advertising contracts by the end of the season (laughs). But, of course, we feel the interest. People write words of support and wish me good luck.
- Do you know anything in Hungarian?
MP: We know something. But the language is, of course, very complex. We want to learn - it is necessary to know the language of the country for which you are speaking.
DS: Of course, the guys come from Russia, but the purpose of their performance for Hungary is also to popularize figure skating in this country. This is the main message, the main idea.
- Have you already grown beyond the age when figure skaters have idols, or can you still be asked who you look up to?
AS: I am very inspired by the Olympic short program of Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov. I always watch it before competitions. And also the free program of Alena Savchenko and Bruno Massot at the 2018 Olympics. Their skates energize me before going on the ice. But as such, I don’t have an idol that I would strive to be like. If only Fyodor Klimov (smiles). I heard a lot about how patient he was during his sports career. In this I always tried to follow his example.
MP: I have skaters that I really like, but not in pairs skating. This is Javier Fernandez and, of course, Yuzuru Hanyu. I trained with them on the same ice.
- To Toronto?
MP: Yes, Brian Orser. I was 10-11 years old, I was still a singles skater. My older sister went to study at a Canadian university, and I went with her and my mother. We agreed with Orser to watch it, and he took me into the group. I trained with him for two years.
- Do you currently maintain contact with anyone from his group?
MP: Yes, we correspond with one boy. And I saw Brian and Tracy Wilson (the second coach of Orser’s group - editor’s note) at the World Championships this year. I was very surprised that they recognized me. They came up, said hello, and wished me success before the free program.
- What do you dream of winning in figure skating?
MP: Olympic medals.
- On the way to them it will be necessary to complicate the programs.
MP: I really want to try the quadruple throw. But the coaches don’t allow it yet.
DS: This process requires labor-intensive preparation, and I know this from the times when I was the coach of the pair Ksenia Stolbova - Fedor Klimov. It is not for nothing that the ISU (International Skating Union) has lowered the cost of quadruple elements, because it is very dangerous. Before this decision was made, several skaters were injured. We suffered with Ksenia Stolbova’s leg for six months, Natasha Zabiyako hit her head. For couples who skate with amplitude, it is very difficult to hit the axis of rotation and land during the release, and for this you need to do a huge amount of preliminary work. The quadruple twist is easier to perform, there is not such an amplitude of movements, but in a throw there is no room for error.
- If you study quadruple elements with Maria and Alexey, will you just twist them?
DS: No, both twist and throw. But only when the guys are ready for it. We are moving towards this step by step.

Fedor Klimov, figure skaters Alexey Svyatchenko, Maria Pavlova and Dmitry Savin - RIA Novosti, 1920, 09/01/2023

© RIA Novosti / Andrey Simonenko
Fedor Klimov, figure skaters Alexey Svyatchenko, Maria Pavlova and Dmitry Savin