Maria Sotskova | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Maria Sotskova

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Masha was great in Shanghai, every time I see her more focused on her components and not just focusing on her technical points, I think she can become the kind of skater that lasts over time, like Carolina Kostner or Michell Kwan, Bravo Masha! :clap: , I want to see her on the podium of GPF :hap10:

Lily flowers

On the Ice
Excellent interview from Icenetwork

Sotskova warns skaters of heeding online criticism
Two-time Grand Prix Final qualifier explains affinity for classical music

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/12/04/262382782

Is there a recorded version of that interview? Because they comment on her excellent English and I really want to hear, it does seem that she is very advanced in the language.
It is a great interview though, I love her confidence.

Kirei

On the Ice
This is kinda late..but anyway, I was glad to finally see her live in Grenoble.

Short: The arena energy felt off, so I was impressed that she did a decently clean program. The dress is really fluorescent pink, I can't say I like it but at least the illusion matched.
I just rewatched it with the B.Esp commentary and hmm, maybe her team should change the title of her music on the program sheet? Just putting "Swan Lake" seem to give people the wrong impression, like they expect a SWAN and think the interpretation is lacking but it's actually a really nice waltz.

Free: This dress is much prettier. Her jumps are higher compared to last year, rotations are much less iffy, but she could still tidy up her legs more imo. I absolutely love her lutz and flip - there's zero question about her takeoff edge on both jumps. She slowed down a bit in the step sequence so that's something to work on. And the choreo sequence is a bit underwhelming. Compared to Zagitova, it's really obvious that Masha needs to work on her spins. They are slower and the two ending spins don't provide the strong finish she needs.

Good luck for the finals!! Keep improving!!

PS I'm super excited to hear that she wants to change styles next season. Looking forward to it!

Sam L

Medalist
Masha! I love her hair, her dress but most of all her skating. That was perfect!

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
The dress change power worked! Congratulations to Maria, she brought peace back to my life with two strong performances. And she was totally enjoying her time on the ice in both SP and FS!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's some really pretty Getty pictures from GPF http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/f...aria sotskova&recency=last48hours&sort=newest

Interview (google translated)

Maria Sotskova: "We need to go out on the ice and think not only that you're riding for yourself, but for your team"
December 09, 2017

Russian figure skater Maria Sotskova became the silver medalist at the final of the Grand Prix in Nagoya. After the competition the sportswoman answered the journalists' questions and assured that she would take home all the gifts of the Japanese fans.

- Masha, congratulations, how do you assess your performance?

- Of course, we did a lot of work, so the relevant results. At this start I got a good short and arbitrary program. I'm happy with the result. But at the national championship I want to show the level a little bit better.

- So the quantity became quality?

- With experience there is confidence, in the first place. Secondly, some qualities of my skating are improving. It all comes with time. I'm glad that I'm gradually progressing, I'm not standing still, and even more so, I'm not going down. Every start urges me to work even more. The main thing is that all the elements are stable, and when you make them stable, then I'm sure of them. Consequently, there is skating, lightness, more relaxed feel, you can show all the emotions.

- You so confidently rolled back the whole program, that there was a feeling that you were not worried at all?

- Actually worried and strong enough. For me this is the first time in the final. Usually I'm always very relaxed, get pleasure from riding, and here for some reason I was worried, because, probably, I already want to get on a pedestal and from this such excitement.

- Japan - for you a happy country? In 2013, you won the Fukuoka Junior Finals and now silver on the adult start.

"Japan always helps me, it's easy to ride here." On arrival, you get a bunch of positive emotions, because here all people are so friendly, everyone is smiling, and this is fueled by energy, and it helps. You come out on the ice in the stands in Russian flags, everyone supports. Of course, this always helps and adds confidence.

- If you compare that Grand Prix finale and this one, where was it harder? In Fukuoka, then, a strong company was also picked up.

- Then it was my first junior season. I discovered everything for myself, everything was new. When I arrived at the finals, I was in Japan for the first time. I did not know how it was. I always dreamed to get here.

Then, I think, it was easier, because I rode the penultimate or last number, and felt absolutely calm. I just wanted to perform, discover a great sport. And now I come to the competition for the result.

- Then after the final you said the phrase that the athletes - this is the face of the coach. Do you still think so?

- Yes, I still think so, because coaches put their souls in us. Every day they work, they try to teach us something not only in terms of figure skating, but also in life. They help us to reveal ourselves on the new side, try to teach something new, so that we become more experienced and skilled. Therefore, always when we go out on the ice, we represent our coach. If we play poorly, then the coach will be upset. So, the coach will be dissatisfied with his work. And if we act accordingly, then the coach is satisfied, you are satisfied and in principle the whole support group, everyone is happy and happy. Just need to go out on the ice and think not only that you're riding for yourself, but for your team.

- The second suitcase for toys fans?

"I came with a half-empty suitcase, specially for gifts, because I know that I will not leave this place empty-handed." I already have huge packages with toys in my room, which are all vital to me and everyone will go with me home.

- Thank you, Masha.

Olga YERMOLINA

Source http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/344...ataeshsya-za-sebya-no-i-za-svoyu-komandu.html

Interview from yesterday (google translated):

Figure skater Sotskova said that she "easily rode" in the short program of the GP Final
NAGOYA (Japan), Dec 8 - R-Sport, Anatoly Samokhvalov. Russian figure skater Maria Sotskova said she felt light in the short program in the Grand Prix Final in Japan.
The final of the series Grand Prix takes place December 7-9 in the Japanese Nagoya. Competitions in women's single skating started on Friday. Sotskova on the basis of the short program scored exactly 74 points and takes an intermediate fourth place . The day before the athlete made a number of mistakes in training.
"I'm happy that I passed the mark" for 70, "Sotskova told reporters." After the unsuccessful (training) hire yesterday (coach) Elena Germanovna (Buyanova) told me: "Forget today is a new day, and tomorrow a new day, we must fight and start with a clean slate. "And today, unlike training, it was easy for me to go, I was worried at first, although I usually feel at ease at the Finals (Grand Prix), because I do not need to go anywhere, I'm already here. there was excitement for some reason and a special desire.I think after the flight was an incomprehensible state of " .
As for physical growth, the figure skater said she hoped that she would never grow up again. "I hope that's not enough, maybe because of the hairstyle such a feeling develops, I think I did not grow up," she added.
Also Sotskova noted that she intends to experiment with the images in the programs, but will think about this before the next season. "Next season I will experiment, but so far I have not even thought about anything concrete," she explained.

Source https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20171208/1129790677.html