Mariah Bell's 3A | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mariah Bell's 3A

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Except for Midori Ido and Tonya Harding, what other ladies landed a clean triple Axel in a competition?

And among the currently competing skaters, who landed it in training?

In international competition, besides the two mentioned: Mao Asada, Yukari Nankano and Ludmilla Neildina from Russia.

Kimmie Meissner landed it at 2005 Nationals.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I am not looking forward to the 3A becoming common. It will makes ladies skating as erratic as men's. I really wish there was a bonus multiplier for jumps done later in combinations as that would reduce the strategic value of a 3A. You could see skaters start to attempt jump combos that begin with single axels or double of the other jumps.
Yes, let's try our best to reward easier things over harder things. Such a credible sport...

(Perhaps the solution you're looking for is a harsher fall penalty? Why not reward the triple axel when it's well done?)

NaVi

Medalist
Yes, let's try our best to reward easier things over harder things. Such a credible sport...

You do realize that is the exact same argument I'm making right... there are more difficult ways to do combinations but the current rules don't reward you for it.

Warwick360

Medalist
Why should this be feared?

Imagine having the Edge flooded with a new 3A thread, one after another. I mean there's fan-fest for that stuff. Well, I don't approve or think there is a need for a new one especially considering most hardly look promising aside from Tuk's. With Tuk I'm OK with her having a 3A thread seeing she's actually landing them in practice.

beki

Medalist
This is a very good PR move by Kori. The chatter is that even though Bell had a breakthrough Nationals, she won't be a top contender on the GP. A potential 3A changes the perception and helps her stand out among the US ladies vying for next year's spots. I am all for giving someone new and on the upswing a chance, instead of a known quantity like Nagasu.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Imagine having the Edge flooded with a new 3A thread, one after another. I mean there's fan-fest for that stuff. Well, I don't approve or think there is a need for a new one especially considering most hardly look promising aside from Tuk's. With Tuk I'm OK with her having a 3A thread seeing she's actually landing them in practice.
You don't have to post in any threads you don't like. Personally I'm over the moon that people are talking about Mariah and this thread has more posts than her fan thread does so I don't see any issues. Besides...read my first post. I'm clearly poking fun at 3a mania. It was a nice 3a albeit on a pole harness.

I agree with the idea that it may be a promotional move. I'm happy to partake and add to Mariah's hype in any way I can :yes:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
You don't have to post in any threads you don't like. Personally I'm over the moon that people are talking about Mariah and this thread has more posts than her fan thread does so I don't see any issues. Besides...read my first post. I'm clearly poking fun at 3a mania. It was a nice 3a albeit on a pole harness.

I agree with the idea that it may be a promotional move. I'm happy to partake and add to Mariah's hype in any way I can :yes:

To expand on this, there are skaters that I don't follow enough to stalk their fan threads, but if they try a new move, I might still have enough interest to want to find out, take a look, and maybe comment on that that topic. I could see it get too out of hand, but as it stands I think there may be a lot of people like me that are interested to see skaters working on stuff regardless of who the skater is.

Layback11

Record Breaker
It looked excellent in that video, all though the harness changes everything and I'm not sure if she's doing them that well consistently, even in the harness. I do think the 3-3 is more important, but if it's easier for her to get the 3A, go for it! I really like her, so I hope she does, but it'll be interesting either way to see if she tries it in competition.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It looked excellent in that video, all though the harness changes everything and I'm not sure if she's doing them that well consistently, even in the harness. I do think the 3-3 is more important, but if it's easier for her to get the 3A, go for it! I really like her, so I hope she does, but it'll be interesting either way to see if she tries it in competition.
She said she is just doing it for fun pretty much and has no plans to include it in competition. She did however say she has tried it without the harness if I'm not mistaken. :think:

I'm hoping for really solid choreography next year and steady improvement. If I could pick one thing to improve on her it would be executing every movement with a bit more conviction, we already know she has an infectious way about her. Now I'd like to see it mixed with a bit more of a competitive edge. I trust in Kori and her ability to get the most out of Mariah.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm very excited that Mariah is pushing herself technically. I said after Nationals this year that she was the lady to watch. She has excellent coaching and choreography and the sky is the limit.

flying camel

Medalist
I think Poor Hannah is still training with her Aunt. It would be nice if she went to train with Mariah and Tyler.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Poor Hannah is still training with her Aunt. It would be nice if she went to train with Mariah and Tyler.

I thought she was training with Orashev at least part time now? And Hannah goes to public high school, so relocating her training base probably wasn't an option up until this point. She graduates this year though, so that should open up more coaching possibilities. I really like her skating. She is so strong and powerful, I wish she could learn how to translate that into more speed and bigger jumps on the ice.