Metronome ticks for start of program? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Metronome ticks for start of program?

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I have seen the time measuring and the clock in every competition etc, and I have never seen gymnastics competition, but I am still curious why having 3-2-1 would have been a bad thing?
I don’t think @Ic3Rabbit is saying that it’s a bad thing, just that it’s not necessary and that skaters usually don’t need it

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t think @Ic3Rabbit is saying that it’s a bad thing, just that it’s not necessary and that skaters usually don’t need it
Oh, okay. I thought maybe it would be distracting or doesn't fit the mood/music or something like that. or weird, when it's a small competition and it's quiet.

Weathergal

Medalist
Man I know you guys are buddies but come on. I gave a little suggestion thats all and the observable fact is that it happens to the best consistently so regardless of how much they train for the randomness of the audio guy I dont see how my suggestion isnt valid. He said I'm trying to be a "crusader for the sport" and implied there are more important things which is such a high horse position and its just frustrating. I literally agreed with him initially if you scroll up but then he continued to totally misrepresent the essence of the thread which is just frustrating.

Anyways, Arina Averina is a champion artistic gymnast. Programs in that sport start in the exact same way as figure skating programs and almost all of her programs start with a beep so she can catch the music. Her sister Dina also has these beeps and it evidently helps them significantly with the timing of their music. Yes its a different sport but the method of initial sequence is identical. Artistic gymnastics is also far more sophisticated in regards to pure musicality than skating, so even moreso support for the original idea. After seeing this I now have my proof that my suggestion wasnt poor at all. If anyone still thinks its a stupid idea they can contact multiple time champions Dina & Arina to let them know they should work on their timing and musicality instead of using this supposed silly crutch.
I thought the Averina sisters are rhythmic gymnasts, but perhaps the gymnastics are labeled differently in different countries? In US - beam, vault, floor, bars, etc. = artistic gymnastics; ball, hoop, clubs, etc. = rhythmic gymnastics (although I always thought the word "artistic" better describes rhythmic)

Getting back OT, I've never heard of any skaters complaining about music starts, timing, etc., and it is interesting to hear ic3rabbit's perspective since she has that experience.

After far as program starts are concerned, I've always been curious about pronounciation of skater's names, and if they submit anything in that regard so the announcers have some guidance when announcing them at the start (if not, I think announcers - and commentators for that matter - should do their homework).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
After far as program starts are concerned, I've always been curious about pronounciation of skater's names, and if they submit anything in that regard so the announcers have some guidance when announcing them at the start (if not, I think announcers - and commentators for that matter - should do their homework).
it seems like a reasonable ask, but there are some things just doesn't translate from language to language, inflections and vowels most of all. Obviously, it's sweet when they try, but I would cut them some slack. Sometimes, mispronunciation is actually pretty grand compared to the original name, heh.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought the Averina sisters are rhythmic gymnasts, but perhaps the gymnastics are labeled differently in different countries? In US - beam, vault, floor, bars, etc. = artistic gymnastics; ball, hoop, clubs, etc. = rhythmic gymnastics (although I always thought the word "artistic" better describes rhythmic)

Getting back OT, I've never heard of any skaters complaining about music starts, timing, etc., and it is interesting to hear ic3rabbit's perspective since she has that experience.

Even if they did submit, there are just so many skaters from so many different countries, the announcers and commentators do their best but flubs will happen. I remember on an old British blooper program,one of the then-premier news presenter saying (in his voice of Great Authority) that his advice when faced with a name he hadn't experience with, was 'look straight at the camera and say the first thing that comes into your head.' :laugh:

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Theres literally zero argument here. Its an observable fact they mess it up at high frequency so clearly whatever training theyre doing, it literally just doesnt work. "They dont need it" they observably objectively do. :scratch2:

"Skating isnt gymnastics" I already went over that but its fine. To repeat the method of initiating sequence is effectively identical. I get that just pointing out the difference in sport is basically a close to disprovable get out of jail free card requiring zero honest analysis. Im actually like a hamster on a wheel with these online arguments. I've known for years this has nothing to do with reason but just about who can be more intellectually dishonest and pretend to misunderstand and misrepresent for the sake of cheap consensus. But I keep bashing my head against the wall. :bang: Shame on me.

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Theres literally zero argument here. Its an observable fact they mess it up at high frequency so clearly whatever training theyre doing, it literally just doesnt work. "They dont need it" they observably objectively do. :scratch2:

"Skating isnt gymnastics" I already went over that but its fine. To repeat the method initiating sequence if effectively identical. I get that just pointing out the difference in sport is basically a close to disprovable get out of jail free card requiring zero honest analysis. Im actually like a hamster on a wheel with these online arguments. I've known for years this has nothing to do with reason but just about who can be more intellectually dishonest and pretend to misunderstand and misrepresent for the sake of cheap consensus. But I keep bashing my head against the wall. :bang: Shame on me.
And you’re 1000% percent sure that they are actually getting startled? It’s not just part of the choreography?

I promise you, that no one is trying to argue here, all we’re just saying that it’s not something that skaters do. They just don’t. They don’t think that I’ll be helpful or whatever. Maybe there is no reason why. A lot of things have customs that don’t necessarily make sense but that’s just how it goes, not in just skating, but in lots of sports and other things in life.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Any skater who wants could add a "bing" to their music soundtrack to signal to them that the music is starting. Having one separate from the track that is playing would be of limited usefulness, as there is no way to guarantee an exact time interval between the "bing" and the time the music starts.

So it is up to the skaters/coaches to add to their soundtracks, if they think its added usefulness would add more to the program than it would detract.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
And you’re 1000% percent sure that they are actually getting startled? It’s not just part of the choreography?
Haha bro yes I am quite sure that they dont mean to start observably off rhythm by their choreography. All good tho Im over it.

Weathergal

Medalist
In Russian its Athletic Gymnastics and Artistic Gymnastics. Hence my mistake.

The terminology definitely makes way more sense in Russian.
Thank you for the explanation - it does make more sense described that way. I enjoy watching both, although it is difficult here to get much information on rhythmic gymnastics because it's just not covered -- even barely in an Olympic year.

Anyway thank you for the information. It is interesting to learn how things are done in different places!

Weathergal

Medalist
it seems like a reasonable ask, but there are some things just doesn't translate from language to language, inflections and vowels most of all. Obviously, it's sweet when they try, but I would cut them some slack. Sometimes, mispronunciation is actually pretty grand compared to the original name, heh.

Even if they did submit, there are just so many skaters from so many different countries, the announcers and commentators do their best but flubs will happen. I remember on an old British blooper program,one of the then-premier news presenter saying (in his voice of Great Authority) that his advice when faced with a name he hadn't experience with, was 'look straight at the camera and say the first thing that comes into your head.' :laugh:
Whoops I didn't mean to sound like THAT much of a stickler -- I was mostly just curious. :)

That is a great story! Speak with authority and sell it! LOL

I do think people should do their best out of respect to the competitors. And some commentators seem to (ahem) try a bit harder than others.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Man I know you guys are buddies but come on. I gave a little suggestion thats all and the observable fact is that it happens to the best consistently so regardless of how much they train for the randomness of the audio guy I dont see how my suggestion isnt valid. He said I'm trying to be a "crusader for the sport" and implied there are more important things which is such a high horse position and its just frustrating. I literally agreed with him initially if you scroll up but then he continued to totally misrepresent the essence of the thread which is just frustrating.

Anyways, Arina Averina is a champion artistic gymnast. Programs in that sport start in the exact same way as figure skating programs and almost all of her programs start with a beep so she can catch the music. Her sister Dina also has these beeps and it evidently helps them significantly with the timing of their music. Yes its a different sport but the method of initial sequence is identical. Artistic gymnastics is also far more sophisticated in regards to pure musicality than skating, so even moreso support for the original idea. After seeing this I now have my proof that my suggestion wasnt poor at all. If anyone still thinks its a stupid idea they can contact multiple time champions Dina & Arina to let them know they should work on their timing and musicality instead of using this supposed silly crutch.
I thought Arina Averina is a rhythmic gymnast.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any skater who wants could add a "bing" to their music soundtrack to signal to them that the music is starting. Having one separate from the track that is playing would be of limited usefulness, as there is no way to guarantee an exact time interval between the "bing" and the time the music starts.

So it is up to the skaters/coaches to add to their soundtracks, if they think its added usefulness would add more to the program than it would detract.
A beep has been used before. I know there are others but this is what I thought of immediately. Don’t know if it didn’t catch on or if it was prohibited at some point. Just an illustration of the idea