Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds

Lzbee

Final Flight
If there are no limits on the number of skaters, it would affect the competition scheduling, practice scheduling, and there would be additional expenses other than just the Zamboni driver.

The ISU had plenty of options to not blindside skaters like this though. They could just announce at the start of the season that there will be a number limitation as well as a minimum TES.

Even if they just made a mistake and forgot to raise the minimums or they didn't foresee that there would be too many entries, they could've been transparent about it and it would have been much less upsetting. This way, just feels like they're trying to squeeze out smaller feds. Whatever reason they had for doing this, they have handled it utterly unprofessionally.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ISU had plenty of options to not blindside skaters like this though. They could just announce at the start of the season that there will be a number limitation as well as a minimum TES.

Exactly. People in support seem to be trying to downplay the blindsiding aspect. But as Dasa points out, some of the competitions she could only enter with an exemption for a late entry. She was only allowed to continue to pursue the minimums by the kindness of the organisers. And those late entries put extra strain on LOCs as well as potentially additional financial burden - and most of those comps were small comps in - you guessed it, smaller countries. It's like double whammy - let's double-penalised small countries in order to save a big country a few bucks.

Plus, I question how much money it really saves anyway - given Worlds is still planning on hosting this stupid Skating Awards instead of the Gala. I imagine the cost of the Awards ceremony isn't coming cheap.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
It's not about being impressive?!? It's about skaters spending money and time and pushing their bodies to their limits because of a last-minute decision that was made in the middle of the competitive season, when skaters had already decided on their schedules for the year. Dasa really is just one example of this, I'm sure other skaters had their year upended because of this.

They are those that might never reach a podium, or even the final at Worlds, but they also have a career in skating, it's not just a game for them. ISU is the governing body not just for the competition, but also for the skaters under its umbrella.
https://youtu.be/ygre4gFvbec?t=574
Fighter - Dasa
Vampire - ISU Tech Commitee :biggrin:

Mawwerg

Final Flight
But ISU had such option for a long time and nobody cared. I am just not able to understand why after its application so many people are shocked.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But ISU had such option for a long time and nobody cared. I am just not able to understand why after its application so many people are shocked.

Maybe they had it, but they never exercised it. And I am disappointed that they would do such an unsporting and unfair maneuver in the middle of the season. So yes, shocked in that regard.

Changing the rules in the middle of the game is not sporting. Not fair. Does not improve the “prestige” of the event. And frankly I don’t think limiting the number of skaters at the beginning of the season does that either. Makes no sense:confused2: