Mirai Nagasu to skip Grand Prix series | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu to skip Grand Prix series

frida80

Record Breaker
I was expecting this, but it’s still sad nonetheless. She’s been getting lots of opportunities since the Olympics. She should have the chance to take advantage of them.

icybear

Medalist
Not surprising. She's probably wants more showbiz work but just hasn't been as successful as Rippon.

frida80

Record Breaker
Not surprising. She's probably wants more showbiz work but just hasn't been as successful as Rippon.

Not as many but plenty nonetheless. She’s been to multiple award shows, advertisements, and today she did an event with DSW. She’s doing fine. But I think it’s just the realization that for the last four years she had three major goal. Make the 2018 Olympic team, win an Olympic Team, and land a 3A in international competition. She’s accomplished all these goals and made her dreams come true. After accomplishing major goal, it’s hard for athletes to motevate themselves into continuing. Maybe after a break she will decide if she has more goals in skating or if she wants to move on with her life. She is engaged after all.

evasorange

Final Flight
Not surprising. After she hit that triple axel at Olympics team event it was like all the wind got knocked out of her sails on the ice. Curious to see where she ends up from here

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I pretty much expected this. Her Olympic team skate seemed to be the wrap up of her career, as her individual Olympic and World 2018 performances were blah in comparison. I'd be surprised if she ever did a competitive skating event again.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I admit this surprises me only in the sense that I figured she would either retire entirely or return to competition full time, mainly because she's approaching the end of the competitive age range already and the Grand Prix is the area where she'd be most likely to win some medals.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I admit this surprises me only in the sense that I figured she would either retire entirely or return to competition full time, mainly because she's approaching the end of the competitive age range already and the Grand Prix is the area where she'd be most likely to win some medals.

Maybe 4CC? She hasn't exactly won many GP medals.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Mirai comes back for Nationals. But I don't blame her for taking the time off to pursue some of the opportunities she has post-Olympics. She and Adam are promoting DSW and she has been to the Radio Disney awards and some other red carpet events.
The usual suspects doubt her, of course, but I think Mirai has a lot of skating left in her.

katymay

Medalist
Best of luck to her. She needs to take advantage of whatever endorsements, opportunities etc. come her way.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... She is engaged after all.

Wait, what? :eeking: When did Mirai get engaged??? :hap93:

How did I miss that?
Darian is a lucky man. And she is lucky to have him as well. They seem very supportive of each other. :ghug:

Anti-climactic comment, but I imagine that Mirai also wants to finish up her college degree sooner rather than later.

I selfishly hope that she will compete at 2019 Four Continents in Anaheim. Plus it would be relatively close for her parents to see her compete there, so I hope that they would take a little break from the restaurant.

Regardless, I wish Mirai the best with everything.

She medaled every year from 10-11 through 13-14.

Plus bronze at 2012 NHK.

ETA:

Ooops, sorry for misunderstanding the first time. You mean every year from the 2010-11 season through the 2013-14 season. :agree:​

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai hasn't won a GP medal since the fall of 2013---5 years ago. She just isn't an early-season skater.

frida80

Record Breaker
Wait, what? :eeking: When did Mirai get engaged??? :hap93:

How did I miss that?
Darian is a lucky man. And she is lucky to have him as well. They seem very supportive of each other. :ghug:

Anti-climactic comment, but I imagine that Mirai also wants to finish up her college degree sooner rather than later.

I selfishly hope that she will compete at 2019 Four Continents in Anaheim. Plus it would not be relatively close for her parents to see her compete there, so I hope that they would take a little break from the restaurant.

Regardless, I wish Mirai the best with everything.

Plus bronze at 2012 NHK.

ETA:

Ooops, sorry for misunderstanding the first time. You mean every year from the 2010-11 season through the 2013-14 season. :agree:​

She confirmed it in a DWTS interview. I can’t remember which one, but I’m sure it was just after week 2.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I had no idea she got engaged! Their wedding is going to be such a party.

I'm a little sad. The statement reads more like retirement than taking a break. I understand, because she's been going, going, going so long, but Mirai in particular is the one established US lady at her age group where I still see so much room to grow. I wish her the best and will remain a huge fan no matter what she chooses to do next.