Most beautiful Camel Spin ever? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most beautiful Camel Spin ever?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Back camel: Sasha's, no question - such a lovely high free leg that made use of her flexibility.

Eman has a lovely extension on his and if I recall correctly Paul Wylie has a very good one too.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Thank you Cherryy for posting that video of Caroline Zhang. She is incredible.

I agree with all the above, Sasha Cohen had a gorgeous camel. Pretty much perfection. I'll contribute and say that I loved Viktor Petrenko's camel. He had an incredible arch in his back. It was funny because when I learned to skate in my 20's I was already prepared to do a camel like Viktors. Also, Paul Wylie was almost perfection too, but he tended to overdo his turnout. I wish I was tech savvy to post video clips....

Warwick360

Medalist
Are we simly talking about the classic camel position or the variations as well?

If variations, then I have to go with Yuna Camel by Yuna. Mainly because I don't think when she was active that I fully appreciated how a difficult move it was until I saw really terrible attempts by other skaters since her retirement.

But if it is simply a classic camel, I really liked Kostner's Camel spin in Sochi. Never been a big fan of her spins/spinning in general, but I think her long legs basically accentuates the look of her camel tremendously.

ntl

Rinkside
I'm partial to Josh Farris's camel. Look at that extension! His Adelina camel is nice too, but I prefer the classic positions.

This is the only spin at which men look better than women. :slink:

I second the vote for Paul Wylie.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm partial to Josh Farris's camel. Look at that extension! His Adelina camel is nice too, but I prefer the classic positions.

I can't say enough how much I miss Joshua, and his skating. That was such a great program for him and I'm glad he had such a great, if brief, career.

TGee

Record Breaker

I've been told that this spin is actually more difficult for men and at one point the IJS gave men a higher BV for it. (Anyone have the facts?)

To my eyes, the difference is all about proportion and long leggy lines....But many of the female skaters with long legs end up in dance so we only see them in partnered spins.....

I'm looking forward to seeing what the up and coming tall generation of Canadian men will do with this spin once they've adapted to their growth.....Nicholas Nadeau, Roman Sadovsky, Nam Nguyen not to mention the juniors.

Last edited:

Daniel1998

Final Flight
I've been told that this spin is actually more difficult for men and at one point the IJS gave men a higher BV for it. (Anyone have the facts?)

To my eyes, the difference is all about proportion and long leggy lines....But many of the female skaters with long legs end up in dance so we only see them in partnered spins.....

I'm looking forward to seeing what the up and coming tall generation of Canadian men will do with this spin once thye've adapted to their growth.....Nicholas Nadeau, Roman Sadovsky, Nam Nguyen not to mention the juniors.

Roman Sadovsky actually has a pretty nice camel spin already, compared to the rest of the juniors.
https://youtu.be/h9vwtfOOH94?t=1m52s
And from this year:
https://youtu.be/LRBmxlW82dQ?t=2m15s

TGee

Record Breaker
Roman Sadovsky actually has a pretty nice camel spin already, compared to the rest of the juniors.
https://youtu.be/h9vwtfOOH94?t=1m52s
And from this year:
https://youtu.be/LRBmxlW82dQ?t=2m15s

Thanks, I'd remembered them as really good as a junior, but wasn't sure how they were managing through the growth.

BTW Roman's skating as a senior as of ISU Golden Spin in December 2016. Still consolidating his growth, but made the TES minimums for 4CC and Worlds....

Meoima

Match Penalty
I second the vote for Paul Wylie.
Well many men (who are good at spins) have better sit spins than woman too. It's the upright spins and its variations that women are better.