Nam Nguyen | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen

livetoskate

On the Ice
It's great to hear that Nam will be competing at the world championships! I stumbled upon this old youtube video of Yuzuru Hanyu taking hip hop classes, and lo and behold, there's a little Nam Nguyen dancing alongside with him in class. It's a little after the one minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkQd_goAJ4

Here's to a great skate for Nam in Milan!

gpfsilver

Spectator
looking back at all the posts calling him the most consistent and a future world champion.... oh how things have changed :(
still one of my favorite skaters, and beyond that an amazing person to be friends with
heres to a good next season!

cecilcb

Spectator
it's sad to hear nam talk about how he's probably not going to skate for much longer, but he's looking to coach afterwards so hopefully he'll keep around the skating scene even when he's done competing :(

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember seeing him at Skate America in 2014 and thinking what potential he had. He took the bronze medal there and was definitely a crowd favorite. Soon after that he had the tremendous growth spurt. Can't imagine what that was like. It must have felt like learning to skate all over again. Whatever he decides to do in his future, I wish him the best!

livetoskate

On the Ice
I felt a little sense of glee when Nam accepted my Facebook friend request. He doesn't post a lot there but based on Instagram or Twitter, he's still going to the rink. Too bad, it's rare that I meet tall Vietnamese guys but Nam grew so tall for a skater! But now that Patrick Chan has retired, Nam could have a great shot at winning Canadian nationals, or silver to Keegan.

cecilcb

Spectator
I felt a little sense of glee when Nam accepted my Facebook friend request. He doesn't post a lot there but based on Instagram or Twitter, he's still going to the rink.

He goes to the rink most days lol, though I'm pretty sure he's on half vacation (which I'm not sure if that means his training hours are cut down a little or not lol, I know a lot of the skaters are his club are already starting their seasons with a small competition in Lake Placid which he isn't going to, so I don't know if vacation is just he isn't competing when others are if if he's not at the rink as much).

He's definitely going as hard into this season as he can, but he's also starting university this fall and he got a job so I'm just :eek: hopefully he can balance it all and still do well this season, especially if it's potentially a last season.

livetoskate

On the Ice
What kind of job is he doing? Something like working at the rink or a totally non-skating related job? Good for Nam to continue with his education. I look forward to seeing him skate this fall.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
What kind of job is he doing? Something like working at the rink or a totally non-skating related job? Good for Nam to continue with his education. I look forward to seeing him skate this fall.

He mentioned him and Matthew Markell are working at the Figure Skating Boutique. It sounds like it's very part time.

livetoskate

On the Ice
John Wilson Blades has a nice video interview with Nam here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNI3HDstv8

He talks about all sorts of topics, mentions feasting on ketchup potato chips and McDonalds, his love of Japan, how he would like to visit NYC but actually has never been there, watched Lala Land 4 times, etc.

Anyone know when Nam's next competition will be? Autumn Classic? I thought he was going to be coming somewhere recently but haven't heard anything. I'm glad he's continuing since he has a good shot at Canadians with Patrick and others retiring.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Too bad, it's rare that I meet tall Vietnamese guys but Nam grew so tall for a skater!

No kidding. When I saw Nam in person at the ACI and the Skate Canada Challenge last year, he looked like he was 6 feet tall (even though I know he's not---obviously his slender frame gives the illusion that his height is greater than it actually is). I've noticed that his ISU bio was updated in June, and he's now listed as 180 cm, which is almost 5'11" (he used to be an even 5'10") : http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012641.htm

Anyone know when Nam's next competition will be?

He had competed at the Minto Summer Skate 2.5 weeks ago (which he won easily), and his next one is the GTSA Summer Skate later this week. He'll also be at the U.S. International Classic in mid-September.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Congratulations to Nam on winning the GTSA with a nice clean long program. Great positive reinforcement to take into the start of the international season.