Nathan Chen | Page 941 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

lurkz2

On the Ice

1111bm

Final Flight
It's probably a matter of time before someone splices the ISP music with the JO video.

There you go (the sound is so bad even without the commentary, I couldn't stand it...)

This is Nathan's video intro to the program. He says he co-choreographed it with SLB.

He said he choreographed it 'with' her, but I think he just phrased it weirdly. Not sure he meant to imply that he was somehow involved in the choreography process (at least not more than usual, since I assume every skater gives some sort of input to a varying degree)

sheetz

Record Breaker
He said he choreographed it 'with' her, but I think he just phrased it weirdly. Not sure he meant to imply that he was somehow involved in the choreography process (at least not more than usual, since I assume every skater gives some sort of input to a varying degree)
Maybe, but I can't remember Nathan wording it that way before. Indeed, by saying he choreographed it "with" Shae, it sounds like he's saying he is the primary choreographer.

1111bm

Final Flight
Love the face he makes during the step sequence, when he does that move after the first twizzle, it’s so funny, anyone notice that? I first thought it was just a spontaneous grimace in the ISP recording, but he did it again in the JO version. 🤭😆

I actually don't like the perspective where they filmed slightly from above, it looks weird, I prefer the ISP version.

Also the white shirt is kinda hard to make out against the ice and white boards, and japanese skating broadcasts are so overcontrasted, it makes it even worse. Nevermind that the shirt is, again, too stiff for skating. I think his shoulder line generally doesn’t work well with this type of a shirt, they’re always riding up and bunching on his neck. A softer, possibly stretchy fabric would be so much nicer.

And I have to say, I’m disappointed there’s no new Exhibition number and he just went with Rocketman, as I already suspected. :(

sheetz

Record Breaker
And it's weird that he doesn't have a new EX. He's certainly had enough time to self-choreo one if he had wanted to. Maybe he wants to wait till Canada reopens so he can work with Sam on one? I remember Sam saying on Instagram that he wanted to do an EX with him.

1111bm

Final Flight
Iirc, that girl who tweeted about Shae-Lynn and Nathan two months ago said something like he went there for the step sequence, not sure if that is just that day

She didn't say he went there for the StSq, just that they seemed to be working on it. And either way, that doesn't mean she only did certain parts of the program for him, it could just mean they split making the program into several sessions (which is the norm I assume). :shrug:

That hitch kick is definitely his idea 😂

Could be. He always does some kind of non-listed jump in his Shae step sequences and I'm sure they're trying to mix it up a little each season, and he hasn't done this one till now.

I really love all of Shae's step sequences for Nathan, she's excellent at constructing them and having them match the music, and Nathan's so great at expressing them (I don't think they would fit another skater that well).
For instance, I love how that one Twizzle and those moves following it correspond to the guitar solo in that part (especially in the ISP version).

sheetz

Record Breaker
I didn't get to see it before the videos got taken down, but I have to think he wasn't taking it too seriously after scoring so well in first round.

Hollymolly

Medalist
I didn’t watch it either, but he can make a mistake, he is also human haha
I’m really happy that we can see him before SA!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't get to see it before the videos got taken down, but I have to think he wasn't taking it too seriously after scoring so well in first round.
You're right, of course. Also, this is another trial of jump layouts on the ice. This time it was 4T-3T and 3A, then intended 4F in the bonus.

This is the third time I've seen this SP, and the layout has been different every time. I suspect he's just trying things out... he's not worried about the competition or the score... although of course he'll take the win.

Hollymolly

Medalist
You're right, of course. Also, this is another trial of jump layouts on the ice. This time it was 4T-3T and 3A, then intended 4F in the bonus.

This is the third time I've seen this SP, and the layout has been different every time. I suspect he's just trying things out... he's not worried about the competition or the score... although of course he'll take the win.
So he popped at 4F? I also think he trying some various layout before GP

Hollymolly

Medalist
Yup. Probably scored a 0 for that element too so he ended up with less than 92 points.
I already guessed this when I saw his score in the ISP thread. This will be helpful for Nathan to decide what layout he will going for SA. However, for me, second-half 4F makes me really scary to watch slinkaway.gif