Nebelhorn Trophy 2014 report | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy 2014 report

Alex D

Record Breaker
Graceful days at Oberstdorf

When you think back about an event you always try to find some special cliffhanger, something that expresses in a simple way how you experienced that event. For me that term is "Grace" because this is what I saw a lot on the ice.

One of its finest, graceful performances actually had a young girl from California that has the fitting name of Gracie. As an American she is in a totally different spotlight than many other skaters especially here in Germany where pretty much nobody recognizes a skater and therefore It was quite humorous when an older couple asked me about Robin Sozolkovy and if he was our Ice Dancer.

While we know that he isn't a Dancer, at least not on the ice they were convinced its him. Funny, because nor Stefano or Alex look any like how Robin does. Szolkovy is right now coaching in Russia, something that was signed by a contract shortly before the trophy.

Robin himself said that such a great opportunity had to be taken as Nina is a very hard working person and showed her abilities more than once already.
For Nina, Robin was her favorite choice for the job as she always admired Robin and Aljona on the ice and felt that "such a talent shouldn't be wasted or even forgotten after his retirement from competition".

So she messaged him while he was on holiday thinking about kids and an easy life with his wife away from sport and e voila after a few days they started talking and as we know now very successful. To see a glimpse of his work was already possible at Oberstdorf, as one of his two couples (Tarasova / Morosov) won the silver medal with two absolutely phenomenal skates consisting of level 4 lifts, spins and triple twists.

The 20 years old Evgenia is actually a really fun person on and off ice, with a lovely charisma and open minded attitude. A girl that once she has the microphone during a press conference just talks and talks and talks like there is no tomorrow, always supported with a huge smile.

Gracie´s golden days

If we talk about smiles then we must also talk about one of the most charming figures I ever met off ice, Gracie Gold.
While I was watching Gracie in the practice I saw a young lady who was very determined to do things right, always getting feedback by Frank Carroll who was going crazy about how beautiful her step sequences were and I was with him there.

While I know that step sequences are not a thing for everyone to me they are just one of the most important things in FS as these show at best if a skater understands her / his program and if they have acting potential.

My favorite Step girl so to speak is Adelina the current reigning Olympic champing but to me Gracie was really close to her with what she did. What I like about Gracie is her whole attitude during the steps, it looks like there is a real women on the ice, her arm movements and what she does with her hips and legs looks amazing and not alike any other skater. She received many level 4s throughout the competition and always added her own touch to elements.

I love skaters a lot who are not a copy of others, who have an own personality and this applies to Gracie. While I agree that a lot is of course a matter of taste, to me this were magical moments here at Oberstdorf.

Besides those graceful moments she performed her triple Lutz in the LP and 4 more triple jumps like the Sal, Flip, Toe and Loop. If you consider that her practice sessions were not an easy walk in the park for her, quite impressive and a sign of a strong will and passion for her sport.

I do know what many Americans are going to say now "but she didn't win so this is bad" and honestly I think you are way too hard to her. A third place so early in the season is a good result, a lot of things that skaters do you wont realize unless you see them live and the actual progress over 5 days.

I was therefore very pleased when I had the chance to talk to Gracie a little bit off ice to get her view about the pressure that she is facing all the time. She told me that it can be really hard for her "as everyone expects that an athlete who goes to the Olympics also comes back home with a gold medal".
This so Gracie, was especially hard since she had two great skates in the singles competition and also won a bronze medal with the team.

What she then said did sadden me a bit when she spoke about how she is sometimes treated on social media where people are really mean to her or other skaters.
Confronted with her faulted Lutz she responded with a smile that "it just sometimes happens, its a hard element after all "- a fitting answer if you ask me and it shows her wonderful personality as well. She is taking it easy even if she worked hard on that element during practice. Its just sad that her "fans" wont care about that and only remember the missed opportunity and nothing else.

Lizas comeback

A missed opportunity this young girl was called while struggling for more than a year since her glorious bronze medal at Zagreb in 2013. The Russian that goes by the name of Elizavetha Tuktamysheva but everyone just calls Liza has her very own unique style which I would describe as laid back and relaxed.
The 17 year old managed to land 6 triple jumps in her LP while receiving high Grades of 8 and more for her skating, expression and choreography.

Elizavetha showed that she is slowly crawling back into the minds of figure skating fans and maybe also into those of other skaters, especially if they are from Russia where the amount of top ladies is as huge like nowhere else in this world right now.

Together with Alena who came second with a tremendous Tango and 6 triples, Liza explained the reasons for that. In their opinion the young girls at Russia keep pushing themselves, they do know there is not enough space for all of them so they need to be able to get better than the others which leads to constructing very difficult programs.
But in Russia are not just the programs very difficult but also the treatments that skaters receive from the press, federation and their fans. So Liza was blamed for actually doing the most natural thing in life, growing up.

Liza said that for her all these things don't matter anymore, some people might lift her up now but she knows very well that there is first the national championship and this is where the focus must go to now.
She wants to be competitive at the nationals and doesn't look to far ahead already. In my opinion not only that answer but also her performances on ice show that she has grown up a lot. She might still be the little girl but she is becoming a young lady now and hopefully stays with both blades on the ground.
Personally I would be very happy for Liza if she could do something similar like Adelina did, showing all those rude people a medal to say - "see, I won and what did you achieve besides complaining?" .

Konstantin the Great

Someone who has already done this is Konstantin Menshov, the bronze medalist of Budapest and now also Oberstdorf. The sympathic Russian from St. Petersburg performed to Tango en silence in his LP and dedicated this program to all the poor souls that suffer in the world. He said about his program that "the music was there before the actual program", he and his team wanted to raise concerns about what is currently wrong in this world and based on this the whole choreography was designed, a choreo that featured a quad / triple toe combination and a total of 6 more triples.

Quads are easy Jason

If we talk about designing programs Jason Brown must be mentioned as well even though he does not have a quad in his arsenal. What he has however is his personality and own style. While he doesn't do programs to save the world, he does them to entertain and this in a very funny and sympathic way. In his opinion this is his job, he wants to perform for the people and the elements are chosen for that purpose.

While he didn't do a Quad he still gained high PCs and won the competition, something that as Konstantin said wasn't possible in the past. "Back in the days you only had to do the quad but today figure skating is so much more. You need to hit the levels, execute your elements well for high GOE and this is a never ending process and the hardest part for me".

Michal Brezina who came second agreed and added that skating skills matter a lot, so do the spins etc. He added with a laughter however that quads are easy and a jump like any other so he went for two Sal in his LP.
What I felt interesting was his statement that skaters don't look too much after others, that adding a quadruple jump or not has less to do with pressure but more with wanting to do it. Michal said that "if a skater is capable of doing a quad in the practice then he also wants to show this to the people. Why keeping it for yourself?"

Personally I always felt that skaters are pushed into those elements so that they can compete and I will definitely ask that question more often in the future, to get a few more answers by different skaters about that matter.

Ice Dance is dead?

Another question which I had to ask was about the current state of ice dance and I am not talking about the announcement that Tessa & Scott made this week in which they said that they wont compete this season and take a break - something that might come close to an apocalypse to their fans.

No! To me especially in the NA region Ice Dance seems to be a not really valued sport and this with Olympic and world champions.

The response to Ice Dance reviews / general chat is a lot lower than for the Ladies which get the highest response here at GS together with the men. Because of this I wanted to know how skaters feel about it and who else than the 2013 world champions were a better target for that question.
Kaetlyn and Andrew who won the ice dance competition here at Oberstdorf said that in their opinion Ice Dance is booming and getting better every season.
"Dance Pairs that compete push each other to the limits so that new elements and choreography's are invented", Madison and Evan who performed to an American in Paris hitting 5 level 4s for their steps, spins and lifts agreed. Besides that Madison added that "all our lifts are new and that the long time success of Tessa and Scott & Charlie and Meryl helped us all a lot".

While I agree with their view I also agreed with the opinion of Alexander Gaszi (coming third with 3 level 4s and 4 level threes), who said that the whole presentation of Ice Dance could be done better, "it should be much closer to the crowds than it currently is".

In my humble opinion Ice Dance too often suffers under the "why did they win" syndrome. People don't understand the sport and the results. The question however remains how this could be fixed. One thing however is for sure, the skaters want to present their beautiful sport and all the different facets of it.
As all three couples have proven, their elements were new, their programs were different and they will definitely keep Ice Dance alive after the departure of the former champions White & Davis / Virtue & Moir. So if you want to show these wonderful skater that you indeed love Ice Dance as much as the other competitions send them a mail to let them know!

Sending a mail might also be required to solve the mystery of the lost points due deductions in the SP. Several pairs suffered under a dedication for choreographic rule breaking, a mystery that I was unable to solve so far.

I was also unable to solve the mystery why people at Oberstdorf actually prefer waiting for 2 hours at the Nebelhorn lift just to get on top of a mountain while they could watch an amazing figure skating competition. Honestly, in over 10 years I have not been once on that mountain so tell me, do I miss something up there?

Missing in action

If we talk about missing things then we unfortunately also have to speak about the fact that tons of skaters decided to not skate or come at all to Oberstdorf. Over the weeks I had to change my Nebelhorn Trophy announcement three times as skaters decided to bail out.

Right on my arrival I was contacted and told that Annabelle wont be able to skate, shortly before the men's SP I was informed about Denis Ten having a stomach flew, Isabelle Olsson didn't come at all, Bobrova / Soliev are injured and had to call it a day in regards of the GP season and Sarah Hecken is god knows where and the worst, a little crocodile of a 7 years old girl has gone missing.

I was informed by her mother that she forgot it after the ladies SP and is now very sad as she doesn't know where it has gone. So if anyone has seen a green crocodile with one eye, please hand it over to the Oberstdorf Figure skating office.

Medals for all

Since not everyone can be a winner at Oberstdorf, I feel it is time to actually hand out a few prices to some skaters for special achievements. Therefore I present to you the following categories.

Best outfits

Last year that reward went to Ashley Cain and her bling bling practice outfit, this year however we are going over to Belarus and Janina Makeena.
To me this 19 year lady is very beautiful, I love how her dresses fit like a second skin but don't reveal too much and have all those lovely colors like in the LP with the pink & blue or the SP with that absolutely fantastic red / black dress and the feather in her hair.

I love her style and I love how she skates, what a beautiful women she is! Just gorgeous!
A few notable runners up are, Anna Ocharovas butterfly dress, Gracie Gold's Chicago, Juulia Turkkillas light green for the SP, Keatlyn Weaver with that long red dress in their SP.

Best Smile

This category gave me a lot of sleepless hours. To me smiling on the ice is somehow something that I want to see. Therefore I like to look into the eyes of skaters when they come across and Leanelle was always ace in that. Sadly she wasn't at Oberstdorf but still we had many great smiles with Gracie Gold & Veronik Mallet on a tie.

Veronik has a very mature and natural smile, she doesn't even has to try to smile, still she always does it. I loved her appearance in 2013 and I loved her even more now in 2014. Canadians have golden genes for that as we all know since Kaetlyn Osmond.

Our Gracie however also gave me that smile which made my heart jump when she was doing her step sequence or during the press conference. Its so charming and then those beautiful eyes! If I wouldn't look like a Dork and be 10 years younger, asking her for a date I would. *laughs*

Best Spin

Aimee Buchanan must win that category no doubt about that. The way how she pulls down the blade during her Bielman is not from this world, so beautiful. Honestly, I would always put her before Julia Lipnitzskaya in that category, as she has so much more style its incredible. Fast is one thing but to look incredible another.

Notable runner ups are the wonderful Fleur Maxwell and Julia Turkilla but also Camille Gjersem.

Best SP

To have a good program requires several things in my opinion. First a lovely skater that you enjoy watching, a beautiful piece of music and a nice choreo. While we saw many good SPs at Oberstdorf there was one young lady which just wowed me especially since she had to go through hard times in 2013 with her missed Olympic spot for Finland.
You will all know who I am talking about. It is Juulia Turkkila.

Not only did she land her triple toe combination but she also skated amazingly well to the music and seemed more mature than in the past years. Every spin, her step sequence absolutely gorgeous level 4 en mass and seriously I could imagine that skate perfectly in one of the big shows in America.

It was in my opinion Juulias best choreographed SP to date and it shows how well the new vocal rule can support Figure Skating. With more programs like that, FS will become popular again as its something that you can also watch at home unlike so many "basic" programs that you wont be able to feel unless you were there.

Another good example for the working vocal idea were Evgenia and Vladimir.

Their SP was phenomenal, it had so much drama and passion it put Goosebumps all over my body. An incredible high triple Twist, side by side triple toe, wonderful level 4 spins, steps and her beautiful smile of course.

While they had a few more problems in their LP like with the last lift, they are the pair of the future in Europe to me. I don't know any other pair that actually touches me like they do but at the same time has all those high quality elements that you need to win medals.

I also want to quickly mention how impressed I was with Elisabeth and Francois - Xaviers SP, it was my absolute favorite Ice Dance this year - it was so emotional and they have a wonderful harmony on the ice.

Best LP

Mariah Bell (Titanic OST - Southampton & A life so changed) is my personal discovery here at Oberstdorf. She interprets music in a way that no eye stays dry and for me as a musician myself the choice of music is so extremely important in FS.

A critique I often have about the men or some pairs, you need to choose music that reflects yourself its so important to feel what you skate to.
In Mariahs case, It is not only impressive how she skates to it but also that she is skating into your heart with what she does If we talk about being on time with the music, choosing the right elements and then her lovely smile.

My former GF was a titanic fan so we saw that movie for like a hundred times and ya I cried too ... I am just such a softy. Anyways, when these soft vocals by Sissel come in then it just happens again my eyes were wet. To me Mariah is a show skater for the future, someone who you want to see and pay a lot of money for.

I said it in my review about the Ladies comp and I say it again, to me she is really close to Sasha (artistry wise) and I would love to see how Mariah interprets Romeo & Juliet someday.

Also her Exhibition was amazing, she is so naughty and this in her first year at Seniors. Great girl, keep it going!

Funniest Off Ice moment

I wanted to take a picture at the kiss & cry of Liza so I almost crashed into the camera and I believe you can actually hear that in the video. Ya I am a fool but hey I have the picture now and she smiles so cute! ;) Sadly I missed Gracie there but I was able to shoot a few during the press conferences and victory ceremonies. By the way, I didn't slip once at the ice (we do go on to the ice to take pictures at the victory ceremony) so that funny moment went to another journalist this time!

Best couple

I am a huge fan of personality and charisma, I don't like perfection too much even though I am a perfectionist myself. Therefore this reward must go to Maria Poliakova and Nikita Bochkov.
Both skaters I know now for about 4 / 5 years and I felt that their SP here at Oberstdorf was a huge step forward. Sure they lost their triple toe due underrotation and they need to work on their levels at the triple twist and steps and of course a bit on his fitness as he had a hard time towards the end of the LP but honestly, they are just so charming together, I like them so much!
One suggestion I however have, why not skate to something romantic in the next year? I would love to see how that works out.

By the way, did you know that Maria is breeding frogs? I don't know how that actually works or how many frogs are hopping around in her living room at Moscow but that is probably one of the most awesome hobbies I have ever heard of by a skater. Finally not the basic "I like cooking and reading" stuff.

Best interview partner

During press conferences and off ice activities I was able to ask skaters questions and I was impressed how many of the skaters really took their time to explain stuff in full detail.
I think that Konstantin was the most laid back guy I ever came across. I loved how he told us about his intentions with the program that it was more for him than just a skating program but a message out to the world to stop all that war nonsense there.

Besides that Gracie was incredible kind and showed a few personal sites off her. She isn't the perfect girl that many want to see in her and exactly this makes her so charming. She gets hurt like everybody else by rude and disrespectful comments or harsh critics and this makes her so sympathic as she isn't a robot that just does stuff, she is a real human being something many fans often forget and so many professional athletes lose over time.

Last but not least Yuko and Sasha.

Yuko was almost apologizing for not being perfect every second on the ice and she wants to do better next time. It was a funny response of my question where I mentioned that they got better and better until the end of their program and why that was the case since other couples got worse towards the end. Yuko landed a quadruple Sal!
Yet she felt that her fans deserve even better and ya she is really amazing that young lady who was hanging out in the press room a lot. I also want to say that Sasha and Alex Gerzsi are highly entertaining during press conferences and a joy to have.

Best Haircut

My former GF was a hairstylist so I assume I know what good hair looks like. Therefore I am very happy to announce Madison Chock as the winner. Her hair cut was so good that several women asked her about the cut and I loved it especially in the SP it was so wild and naughty "just hot".

Being shy and known

I am writing these articles and my column now for over a year and I do similar stuff in tennis, soccer and snowboard since many more. If we leave snowboard aside, at figure skating I am as popular as the pope!
Ok Ok, I exaggerate a bit now but its frightening me a little bit that so many people know me from somewhere, either due my blue jacket which they saw in TV or at an event or because of my activity at figure skating blogs and websites.

Therefore I want to say a very warm hello to all those that met me there and were so kind to spend a few minutes of their valuable time on my side. Its always amazing to hear where these people actually come from and that they like reading my stuff.

One girl actually was from Bulgaria, another from Denmark, then two guys from Norway, of course the lady Sara from Finland who told me that she goes to Oberstdorf since the 90s and of course Marie who I was very pleased to meet after the Gala and we spent like 4 hours chatting afterwards. She forgot my chocolate however or better said, she left it in her apartment!

What always impresses me is their determination to ask pretty much everyone until they found me (if they didn't know how I look like) and actually want to find the person behind these writings.

It seems to me that figure skating fans are still a working family, regardless of what happened at Zagreb or Budapest with those fan fights.
Anyways, it was great meeting you all and I am so glad that I finally met someone who loves Inga, Adelina or my finish skaters as much as I do. I finally have someone who I can talk to if I must praise Adelina, that's so cool!

Farewell Oberstdorf

In 2013 the event let me down a bit, it was a bit weird but we all know why that was the case. In 2014 the event returned to its former glory and while we had a lot of causalities on the way, we saw amazing skaters from all around the world.

To have Olympic medalists, world and national champions is one thing - other events have that as well but to be able to enjoy Figure Skating without all the massive security or even the police like at the Euros is something amazing. As Alex Gaszi said, FS must go back to the people, the fans that pay a lot of money because this is how you win people back. To turn Figure Skating in a "cold" world like men's soccer is these days just doesn't do the trick.

To me the Nebelhorn Trophy is one of the most amazing events every year, I just love going there, writing my articles and the column. Its a friendly place and an opportunity for fans to get in touch with skaters so if you ever want this I would strongly advice coming over in 2015. I will be there again and of course report of what happens. Until then I have the JGP, NRW and a few smaller events coming up.

So if you came that far, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed my coverage from the event and if you have any type of feedback be it positive or negative let me know.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We liked you report so well, Alex D, that we wanted more people to see it. That is why we copied it into The Edge. Thank.you for it!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Thanks for your report Alex! It's great to hear perspectives from fans who saw the event live. It must be hard for Liza to have her Sochi spot slip away last season and watch her two rivals claims OGMs. I am impressed that she has come back strong and hope she can continue skating well.

noskates

Record Breaker
Alex. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very entertaining and insightful report.

And thank you also for the nice words about Gracie. Too often the posts have been harsh and overly critical. I met Gracie after SOI in San Jose and found her to be charming, sweet, not the least bit pretentious, and almost a titch shy. And that smile lights up an arena.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Such a beautiful city and area! If you would move it to the Cascade Mountains in Central Washington state, I would promise to go to the Neb, every year! ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Such a beautiful city and area! If you would move it to the Cascade Mountains in Central Washington state, I would promise to go to the Neb, every year! ;)

LOL. I would go too! I wouldn't even need a hotel!

Nebelhorn looks beautiful though! I'd love to visit sometime!

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I really enjoyed reading your report, Alex D. It was written beautifully and warmed my heart with the stories about all the skaters. I am really sorry my wife and I could not attend again this year. I enjoyed it greatly last year even with the pain of seeing a number of skaters lose their chance to go to the Olympics—the pain was countered by seeing the joy with which some other skaters grabbed their chance to go. It was nice to meet you there, Alex D, I hope we get to see each other again some time in the future at another skating event.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Jolly good show, Alex D! Ever considered a career in TV journalism? ;)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Answers

We liked you report so well, Alex D, that we wanted more people to see it. That is why we copied it into The Edge. Thank.you for it!

That's great, thank you!

Thanks for your report Alex! It's great to hear perspectives from fans who saw the event live. It must be hard for Liza to have her Sochi spot slip away last season and watch her two rivals claims OGMs. I am impressed that she has come back strong and hope she can continue skating well.

Thank you.

About Liza, what I gathered from her chatting was, that the biggest issue actually was knowing that she couldn't compete at the nationals. If you are an athlete and know that you can not compete because of injury or similar then this is giving you a hard time.
As an athlete you can lose, that is part of the game but to not even be able to compete is very hard on yourself. I know that from self experience.
That's why Liza is focusing right now mainly on being competitive again.

Oh my Alex, thank you so much. Great report and read!

Thank you, your welcome ;)

Alex. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very entertaining and insightful report.

And thank you also for the nice words about Gracie. Too often the posts have been harsh and overly critical. I met Gracie after SOI in San Jose and found her to be charming, sweet, not the least bit pretentious, and almost a titch shy. And that smile lights up an arena.

Thank you.

And yes, I do agree with your observations. Gracie is a pretty cool fellow and she was fine with every request that was brought to her.

I was honestly impressed with her on and off the ice, also in the press conferences she looked everyone into the eyes making sure she speaks to everyone.

Haha, the skaters liked it too. The mountains, cows and all of that. Its just a pity that the German crowd is not really up for it, that said we had at least a few filled seats, better than nothing ;)

I really enjoyed reading your report, Alex D. It was written beautifully and warmed my heart with the stories about all the skaters. I am really sorry my wife and I could not attend again this year. I enjoyed it greatly last year even with the pain of seeing a number of skaters lose their chance to go to the Olympics—the pain was countered by seeing the joy with which some other skaters grabbed their chance to go. It was nice to meet you there, Alex D, I hope we get to see each other again some time in the future at another skating event.

Hey Paul, thank you.

I was actually wondering if you would come over again this year. This year it was much more relaxed than last, not all that security and stuff.

Jolly good show, Alex D! Ever considered a career in TV journalism? ;)

Actually yes,

I was working for a TV station about 10 years ago and I do write since I was little, you know the typical career with for your sports club, school book, university stuff, blogs, websites etc.

That said, in Germany it is incredible hard to make a living from it. In my country sport is unfortunately not that supported like for instance in NA or Australia at least if we talk about stuff like Figure Skating (non soccer related stuff). The payment is bad or its not paid at all and you need to know the right people to claim these jobs.

But hey, as long I could pay my rent I am fine - I don't need to become a millionaire with my stuff. ;)

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I really enjoyed reading this! I loved the part about Aimee Buchanan. To me, it seems liked she kisses her boot when she brings it down to her face during her Biellmann spin. She's lovely. :love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to admit Gracie really has the look of a champion. Big jumps though more Controlled with Frank. Beautiful costumes, packaging and she is blessed with natural beauty. She has decent carriage, solid spins, assertive and powerful footwork as noted, she has a wonderful presence on the ice. She looks like a great OGM candidate. She is progressing nicely. I was happy with Liza's performance - though she needs to sell her programs a lot more. I kind of thought Leonova's sp was undermarked. Sure there was the error onthe double axel but she sells this program - it's unique. I think it should be rewarded more and it is a joy to see her skating with joy and passion -I think the Russian young ladies cant count her out if she lands her jumps. like the USA Russia has a lot of ladies that would make any other nation envious - Tut, lip, Sot, Leonova,Pog... to name a few and USA has GRacie, Ashley, Paulina, mirai,Agnes, Christina, to name but a few as well. I wonder if Japan might lose its 3 lady status?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I have to admit Gracie really has the look of a champion. Big jumps though more Controlled with Frank. Beautiful costumes, packaging and she is blessed with natural beauty. She has decent carriage, solid spins, assertive and powerful footwork as noted, she has a wonderful presence on the ice. She looks like a great OGM candidate. She is progressing nicely. I was happy with Liza's performance - though she needs to sell her programs a lot more. I kind of thought Leonova's sp was undermarked. Sure there was the error onthe double axel but she sells this program - it's unique. I think it should be rewarded more and it is a joy to see her skating with joy and passion -I think the Russian young ladies cant count her out if she lands her jumps. like the USA Russia has a lot of ladies that would make any other nation envious - Tut, lip, Sot, Leonova,Pog... to name a few and USA has GRacie, Ashley, Paulina, mirai,Agnes, Christina, to name but a few as well. I wonder if Japan might lose its 3 lady status?

Japan may indeed lose it's 3 lady status...though that would be very sad for me. They need time to rebuild their women's team. There are some very promising Juniors and Novices though, so the future is not too bleak.
Right now, Kanako and Miyahara will need to carry the load as best they can. Gambatte!

Alex D

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed reading this! I loved the part about Aimee Buchanan. To me, it seems liked she kisses her boot when she brings it down to her face during her Biellmann spin. She's lovely. :love:

I agree with what you said. She pulls the blade all the way down, pretty unique I think.

For me every skater can have something beautiful or special and if I see it I will mention it every time ;)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Vielen Dank to Alex D for this fantastic report! Looking forward to your updates.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I agree with what you said. She pulls the blade all the way down, pretty unique I think.

For me every skater can have something beautiful or special and if I see it I will mention it every time ;)

When you interview skaters, what language do you use? Do you need translators on hand? I'm assuming you're multilingual, and some skaters will be more comfortable expressing themselves in their native tongue, especially if they're just learning and still improving their English (assuming that's a default common language).