New Blade recommendation | Golden Skate

New Blade recommendation

alvinaltw

Spectator
Hi everyone. I have been skating for almost eight months and my first skates were the Edea Overture with the Edea Balance blade, however I have recently realised that my boots are too big which affect my spins and turns. I am going to purchase a new pair of skates and blades, planning to change to Edea Chorus. Any tips on how to measure my feet to make sure I get the correct size and any recommendation on the blades?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi everyone. I have been skating for almost eight months and my first skates were the Edea Overture with the Edea Balance blade, however I have recently realised that my boots are too big which affect my spins and turns. I am going to purchase a new pair of skates and blades, planning to change to Edea Chorus. Any tips on how to measure my feet to make sure I get the correct size and any recommendation on the blades?
Hopefully the Mods will move this to the correct forum, ie The Lutz Corner, where you'll be seen by the right people.

Ideally you should go to a reputable figure skating fitter to make sure you're in the right boot and blade for your feet and level of skating. If you can't do this (and I can't stress enough how important it is and usually saves money, time and frustration), then find a fitter who can do a virtual fitting. Everglides and Al's Skate Shop in the UK do this. There are almost certainly fitters in other countries, too.

To measure your own feet, you need to stand on a piece of paper and have someone draw round your feet, then you take the measurements from there. They should also measure around the widest part, too, while you are standing up. But it's still nowhere near as good as a proper fitting with an experienced and reputable fitter. If you tell us where you are in the world, we can probably recommend one.

Blade wise, go for either Coronation Ace or MK Professional. Either of those will take you where you want to go and will be a joy after the Edea Balance!

alvinaltw

Spectator
Thank you for the reply. I heard that some people struggle to adapt to the 7’ rocker, is CA easy to adapt to? (I struggle with spinning a lot)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for the reply. I heard that some people struggle to adapt to the 7’ rocker, is CA easy to adapt to? (I struggle with spinning a lot)
It will take a bit of adapting to 7ft rocker but once you are good, you are set especially if you stay with 7ft rockers (MK Phantom or Gold Star) when it is appropriate time to move up to top level blades, b/c JW top level blades (Gold Seal and Pattern 99) are not 7ft rockers like their intermediate blade Coronation Ace.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The best plan is not to even worry about "adapting to a 7' rocker'. Don't think about it. You should be so delighted by the difference a decent blade makes, that a difference in rocker is nothing!