NorthAm Sub-Compact Cars - Recommnedations? | Golden Skate

NorthAm Sub-Compact Cars - Recommnedations?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
We are in the market for a very small, reliable, not too expensive sub-compact car. We live in Canada, so we are looking for recommendations on something available here. Part of the purpose of this car is to shuttle skater around from rink to rink and home, so it should be reasonably safe but it doesn't need to have any upgrades. It needs to be very small so that we can fit it on the driveway.

Does anyone have a tiny car and have thoughts on it (love it/hate it/ or its (not) reliable). In particular, anyone had one for a few years and been happy with it? May lease or buy, not sure but we are starting the process of looking.

The Nissan Micra is very cheap, but wondering it it is totally terrible? A friend has the Nissan Versa and is happy with it, but it is more expensive.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't recommend a specific car because our "small car" is a 1998 Honda Civic. However, I would highly recommend both Hondas (note our car is still going strong after 20 years) and Toyotas (we still think of our 2011 RAV4 as a "new car").

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
We have a mirage hatchback. We miss having a boot and it is small and not really good for transporting lots of people or dogs. It's very fuel efficient and the service seems good. It handled the winter fine with good winter tires (it has to go up and down a non paved road regularly when bf takes it to the animal rescue we support).

Before that we had an elantra and a mazda 3 (along with a F-150 that was tricked out and beautiful). We loved both of those. The Mazda 3 was a great car. I don't know alot about the Mazda 5 but I think that's the smaller mazda. I'd check out mazdas. We hated our taurus.

Just went and looked it up and I guess the 3 is the smallest one. It's 16000. As I said, we loved ours.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Honda Fit hands down... tough, sturdy, safe, handles like a dream in winter..
Smallest Subaru is the Crosstrek .. a very nice car..

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Honda Fit hands down... tough, sturdy, safe, handles like a dream in winter..

And much bigger on the inside than it seems from the outside. And the most versatile, due to the ability to fold various seats to make different-shaped cargo space.

loopy

Final Flight
I had a versa, terrible resale and finally the transmission went out.. 5 days after the warranty expired.

I was choosing between the fit and Prius this last time but ended up getting a slightly bigger car.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Thanks for all the feedback. We are looking at options and will probably begin the shopping process this weekend.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I had a versa, terrible resale and finally the transmission went out.. 5 days after the warranty expired.

I was choosing between the fit and Prius this last time but ended up getting a slightly bigger car.

My friend with the Versa actually has an older one and had mentioned that the newer ones aren't as great. He suggested finding an older one if we go the Versa route. My SO wants to get a new car though with a view to leasing - I guess we'll have to discuss....