Olivia Smart and Tim Dieck form a partnership | Golden Skate

Olivia Smart and Tim Dieck form a partnership

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just as well they're not allowed to compete yet, as Olivia is contracted to Dancing on Ice (UK) for the next few weeks. I wish her all the best and I'm sure she'll be happy to be back training after being thrown in at the deep end teaching a complete beginner!

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Are they crazy? I mean, I am German, I think Olivia Smart is great, but who would skate for Germany if they had a choice? It's really not a figure skating nation.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am happy for them both and wish them all the best. I am though scratching my head b/c Germany is incredibly hard to get skating citizenship for. :shrug:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Are they crazy? I mean, I am German, I think Olivia Smart is great, but who would skate for Germany if they had a choice? It's really not a figure skating nation.
There may not have been that many German ice dancers on the world stage, but the ones they’ve had have sure been memorable. I never miss an opportunity to provide a link to the infamous Zombie Dance of Zhiganshina and Gazsi (neither of whom were born German IIRC):

There was also a brother/sister team that did a polka to “Like a Virgin” back in the day. And juniors Grimm/Savitsky are coming along nicely :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Delighted to hear that Olivia and Tim are coming back. Looking forward to seeing how they get on together.

I too find Germany a strange choice from the citizenship point of view. But, let's face it, citizenship is only needed for the Olympics. And they've both been there, done that. They mightn't be bothered about whether they do another.

As I keep saying, the Olympics aren't the be-all and end-all.

There may not have been that many German ice dancers on the world stage, but the ones they’ve had have sure been memorable. I never miss an opportunity to provide a link to the infamous Zombie Dance of Zhiganshina and Gazsi (neither of whom were born German IIRC):

I'm the same. I use every excuse I can find to post that programme too. Probably my favourite Ice Dance programme.

Yep, Nelli is Russian (from Moscow). But Alexander is actually German (from Chemnitz). However, you may be getting confused because he was born when Saxony was still in East Germany.

CaroLiza_fan

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker

There was also a brother/sister team that did a polka to “Like a Virgin” back in the day. And juniors Grimm/Savitsky are coming along nicely :)
Alexander was born German, as far as I know. His mother was a German Kazakh and would have thus been able to request a German passport upon re-settling in Germany, so he would have been a German national by descent. (Birthplace alone is not enough for German nationality.)

But, these two are indeed a good example of the issues foreign skaters face if they want to represent Germany at the Olympics. By the time the 2010 Olympics rolled around, they had been skating together for almost 4 and a half years, but they would not have been able to represent Germany because she still hadn't been able to gain German citizenship, regardless of if they had placed first at Nationals (which they didn't). She didn't earn enough to even be able to apply for permanent residency (though they also trained in Russia, which was likely another issue). It was only in 2011 that she was allowed to take the necessary tests, likely due to a lot of engagement and pressure for an exception to be made for her as a prospective Olympic-level athlete, though she would have still had to reside in Germany for 3 years (instead of 8 years).

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

Thank you @Seven Sisters. I had forgotten how much fun that was!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
An article from Hielo Espanol containing a comment from Olivia: https://www.hieloespanol.es/1/olivia_smart_formara_pareja_con_tim_dieck_3284218.html

A Google translated extract with the quote from Olivia:
The creation of this duo was intended to be managed away from public opinion because first it was necessary to decide which country they would represent (Spain or Germany). A key aspect that, as Olivia Smart explains to HIELO ESPAÑOL, has not yet been resolved. “We are going to skate together, but we still have to confirm and talk to both federations (Spanish and German) under which flag we will do it. The announcement will be made at the beginning of the year. We wanted to keep this matter low-key, but somehow it has leaked to the press."

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Didn't Germany have Winkler and Lohse or some kind of one time bronze medallist in Ice Dance? One time wonder?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Didn't Germany have Winkler and Lohse or some kind of one time bronze medallist in Ice Dance? One time wonder?
They did skate for Germany, but I wouldn't exactly call them "one time wonders." They were consistent medalists on the Grand Prix and so on as they developed just like many other dance teams.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I agree, but, unless they were promised German citizenship for her by next Olympics, I'm still :shrug:.
Agreed. Although from what I gather she really wanted to represent Spain and he really wanted to represent Germany. It'd be very difficult for Smart to find somebody of his level who's available, so it might have made sense to make the concession and represent Germany. Still assuming Olympics is the mutual goal, it does leave me a little confused. Maybe they have a way of getting German citizenship.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Agreed. Although from what I gather she really wanted to represent Spain and he really wanted to represent Germany. It'd be very difficult for Smart to find somebody of his level who's available, so it might have made sense to make the concession and represent Germany. Still assuming Olympics is the mutual goal, it does leave me a little confused. Maybe they have a way of getting German citizenship.
I agree, and knowing what I do from being a former elite ice dancer, finding a male ice dancer of your own level is not easy, even one of mine was from another country.
Isn't this kind of a step down for Smart anyway?
Basically. lol